Christmas Day is going to be a diet free zone

Options
124»

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I bring my scale to Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner....weigh everything.....no gravy, no dessert, no bread

that is just wrong on so many levels..

I am sure the rest of the people at the gathering just love that....

my mom would whoop my *kitten* if I whipped out a food scale at thanksgiving dinner and started weighing everything....
  • ndj1979
    Options
    OnlyChristmas day mind you

But to be fair Turkey, roast tatties (in trex), boiled veggies and a couple of trimmings aren't going too overboard. Christmas pudding I avoid anyway as I don't like it, and favour a cheesecake or something similar instead.

I've got about 9 people coming over so I'll be stuffed if I can be bothered weighing and counting calories / WW propoints on that one day as well

Boxing Day everything turns to normal

Who's with me?

What is this...diet...you speak of?

Thanksgiving and Christmas are easily going to be 2k+ days for me. My grandma makes the best chocolate truffle for Thanksgiving, and Christmas is where my stepmom makes a giant prime rib. You bet your behind I'm filling up!

Luckily I'll build a big enough deficit during the week through intake and exercise of those to cover them. :)

only 2000?????

Thanksgiving I will at least hit 5000.....
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I did really well last Thanksgiving and Christmas ... and expect to do well again this year. I didn't deprive myself of anything but before I had something I asked myself if I really wanted it or was just going along mindlessly popping food into my mouth. It was the first year I hadn't over-indulged in appetizers so I had room for the main meal and a small desert afterward. I didn't worry about the calories however, because I knew I was eating more food than normal, I just concentrated on how my tummy felt ... the deal was to not overfill till it hurt! Actually, the deal was to still have room in my stomach for digestion.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

But to be fair Turkey, roast tatties (in trex), boiled veggies and a couple of trimmings aren't going too overboard. Christmas pudding I avoid anyway as I don't like it, and favour a cheesecake or something similar instead.

I've got about 9 people coming over so I'll be stuffed if I can be bothered weighing and counting calories / WW propoints on that one day as well

Who's with me?

Thanksgiving and Christmas are easily going to be 2k+ days for me. My grandma makes the best chocolate truffle for Thanksgiving, and Christmas is where my stepmom makes a giant prime rib. You bet your behind I'm filling up!

Luckily I'll build a big enough deficit during the week through intake and exercise of those to cover them. :)

only 2000?????

I know right?? I think I will hit 2000 with alcohol alone :P

• ndj1979
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »

Who's with me?

only 2000?????

I know right?? I think I will hit 2000 with alcohol alone :P

*like*
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    How many feasting holidays do we really have in the US? Halloween (candy),Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, 4th of July.... am I missing one?

5 days/meals. I think its the day to day stuff that throws us off course, not the holiday dinners.

Exactly! I didn't get overweight from holiday eating, but from eating like it was a holiday everyday!

• MelanieRBrace
    MelanieRBrace Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    It's not what you eat between Christmas and New Years, it's what you eat between New Years and Christmas!
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely going to eat my favorite foods in moderation (ham I'm looking at you & homemade macaroni salad), but I'll skip over the foods that I'm not that wild about or could eat any day of the week.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I bring my scale to Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner....weigh everything.....no gravy, no dessert, no bread

that is just wrong on so many levels..

I am sure the rest of the people at the gathering just love that....

my mom would whoop my *kitten* if I whipped out a food scale at thanksgiving dinner and started weighing everything....

OMG, go momma! +1
  • emmabanks87
    emmabanks87 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    So glad dont need to worry about thanksgiving (live in the uk) christmas day is enough for me! lol
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Ah the holidays. Working it retail, it has been weeks of staring at Halloween candy since September began. We have the Christmas stuff starting to come out though most is on the super high shelves waiting for the space when we move out the Halloween stuff. Will have extra candy on the shelves till after Easter.

However, I live in a different state than all of my family and I'm working close on Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve and Christmas day (yeah, we're open all day Christmas this year, unfortunately). Living alone means not much cooking either though I'm thinking of making a pecan pie for Thanksgiving so I can bring it to work and others will eat it instead of me. So, I just have to make sure I don't buy too much candy and I'll be just fine. mmm chocolate
  • DelG79
    DelG79 Posts: 3
    Options
    Only thing that I worry about is drinking. As I have lost quite a bit of weight I will need to discover my new limits. I may actually have more food for a couple of days in advance.
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I ate what i wanted last Christmas day, was lovely. However Boxing Day onwards i was ill and didn't eat much of anything. Tonsillitis saw to that!
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I will try to be mindful, but I also will be eating things that may not fit on a normal calorie day. In fact, I expect there to be a week around each holiday where I go up to maintenance calories just so that I can enjoy the treats and the leftovers. It helps that I can't have booze or chocolate though since that means less stuff for me to go crazy on! My cousin and I are already planning on what we are baking for Christmas!
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I'm going to enjoy the holidays AND try to keep excess calorie consumption to a minimum. I've been looking at how I can reduce calories from some of my mainstay holiday side dishes. The turkey dressing will just have 1 stick of butter, rather than 2. It won't make any difference in taste, since everyone usually covers it in gravy. Same with the mashed potatoes; less butter and half and half and more milk and a tad of chicken stock. I'm not telling my family- so we'll see if they even notice. I'm roasting some Brussels sprouts with olive oil and Parmesan rather than stewing them in heavy cream and butter.
    Since this is THE way I'm going to eat for the rest of my life, I don't see any benefit in 'taking a day off' from mindful eating. Sure, I'll have pumpkin pie and probably eat a bit too much. But it sure isn't going to be a 'free for all' just because it is a holiday.
  • sydneydeb
    sydneydeb Posts: 93 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Christmas is just my Dad and I so no big blow out and I don't cook enough to have days and days worth of left overs. We'll probably have cold seafood for entree and then hot roast, either pork or lamb with roasted veggies for mains and plum pudding for dessert with vanilla bean ice cream. I don't buy chips/ dips/ lollies etc "just in case" someone drops in as no one ever does :)