What do you eat when you're hungry at bedtime?

Options

Replies

• I love these strawberry dippers dole makes. They're just strawberries dipped in dark chocolate. A perfect treat that sates my appetite before bedtime and doesn't make me feel like I've gorged and I'm too full to sleep. (They're also sweet and delicious)
  • safarigirlelka
    safarigirlelka Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Omega oil supplements, like taking one or two primrose or flaxseed capsules removes hunger pangs
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    popsicles.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    The amount of people needing to snack before bed.... we dont set a good example do we....
  • jannickegn574
    jannickegn574 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Berries are great, you can fill your stomach with them without having too many calories.
    Another suggestion is figs and passion fruit, those small fruits are great to enjoy in the evening. :)
    Options
    protein bar or shake. usually a Quest bar (cookies and cream) it's my daily treat to keep me motivated :-)
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    kcup of black decaf.
  • itsjustmish
    itsjustmish Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I keep calories aside especially for my pre-bedtime snack every day ... though admittedly I do tend to have it a couple of hours before actually going to bed! For me, its either 30g porridge oats with coconut milk, a square of 90% dark choc, and a tablespoon of peanut butter OR two crumpets with peanut butter. Yummy!
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    A few walnuts, almonds or pecans. (Planned calories) I am a nut. :smiley:

I tried one walnut and a tablespoon of dry oats last night near bedtime. It made the hunger pangs go away, and I got to sleep quickly. Thanks for the nut suggestion!
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Whatever I want and have calories for. Though I stay away from apples of any kind because I have freaky dreams.
  • CynthiasChoice
    Options
    A few people have mentioned eating casein (milk protein.) I thought that was just used in the food industry, not available for consumers to purchase. How do you buy it, and how do you use it?
  • CynthiasChoice
    Options
    Graelwyn75 wrote: »

Thank you very much for these! I've given up eating oats for breakfast because I get that hunger rebound effect from it a few hours later. Maybe eating a small amount at night would be OK.
  • CynthiasChoice
    Options
    emkrti wrote: »
    I've been told by a personal trainer that eating something like greek yogurt (or cottage cheese, like another poster said) is the best option at night because it has enough protein in it that it will keep your metabolism going throughout the night while you're sleeping. That way, your metabolism doesn't slow down and you won't be hungry when you wake up.

Wow. That sounds like something to explore through another thread. Are you saying that eating protein speeds up your metabolism all the time, or just when you're sleeping? I've never heard of this.
  • 21million
    21million Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    lefty421 wrote: »
    emkrti wrote: »
    I've been told by a personal trainer that eating something like greek yogurt (or cottage cheese, like another poster said) is the best option at night because it has enough protein in it that it will keep your metabolism going throughout the night while you're sleeping. That way, your metabolism doesn't slow down and you won't be hungry when you wake up.

Wow. That sounds like something to explore through another thread. Are you saying that eating protein speeds up your metabolism all the time, or just when you're sleeping? I've never heard of this.

Protein is meant to give energy. I never heard of it speeding up a metabolism, otherwise we'd have a normal TDEE and a protein based TDEE, right?
  • icu814me2
    icu814me2 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Agree with emkrti. My PT said egg whites with a little hot sauce before bed. I do that sometimes, but usually eat the yolk also. She said it keeps the metabolism humming alound for about 4 hours while you sleep. Been doing that on and off since about June 3 nights a week or so.
  • stonegirldancing42
    stonegirldancing42 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    glass of wine

Ha. Like this one.

When I'm good, I'll just have some tea w/milk to prevent cravings.

• AdamRNY
    AdamRNY Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My go to is a banana. It's natural, has low calories and potassium which I never seem to get enough of. Good article on the benefits of eating bananas

http://www.foodmatters.tv/articles-1/25-powerful-reasons-to-eat-bananas
  • bfergusonii
    bfergusonii Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt. With a bit of honey if I'm feeling decadent.
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    I normally prelog a quest bar. If not that I will have cereal with greek yogurt mixed in.
  • nikbeths
    nikbeths Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid eating before bed, but if I do I like to eat a little bit of yoghurt and granola. I find it curbs my craving for something sweet, especially if I toss in a handful of berries.

Delicious!