No strength, can't do cardio, and I need to lose and get strong! Begging for answers!

Options
124»

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I would ask your cardiologist for limitations first, and then ask for a referral to physical therapy. The therapist will work through each exercise with you to make sure you're doing it properly, and he or she will choose exercises designed to build up your strength from wherever you're starting out.
  • carryncoulson
    carryncoulson Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I would just see how it goes with a slow amble around your house 10 minutes a day - listen to your body though. Only you will know if you can do it and whether your doctor says its okay. If you cannot handle it then stop and try again the next day gradually increasing the length of time in one week segments.
  • georgiaTRIs
    georgiaTRIs Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    you are not as weak as you think you are. There are exercises on the ball and light weights that will build up your strength. Always get a doctors approval and work with a trainer that will set out a plan to improve you health and lose the weight.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I would ask your cardiologist for limitations first, and then ask for a referral to physical therapy. The therapist will work through each exercise with you to make sure you're doing it properly, and he or she will choose exercises designed to build up your strength from wherever you're starting out.

Why don't people do this immediately? I don't understand why people treat their interactions with their doctors as if they were tourists on holiday.
  • CleanUpWhatIMessedUp
    Options
    I would suggest slow walking. If you walk slowly for a long time, you will eventually burn as many calories as you would walking quickly for a short time.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

Why don't people do this immediately? I don't understand why people treat their interactions with their doctors as if they were tourists on holiday.

So true. Excuse is usually "I forgot to ask because ...."
    Well, better write the questions down if you've ever once forgotten to ask a pre-planned question visiting the Dr. Be prepared as best you can, cuts down on stress and doing dumb things from being unaware.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »

So true. Excuse is usually "I forgot to ask because ...."
    Well, better write the questions down if you've ever once forgotten to ask a pre-planned question visiting the Dr. Be prepared as best you can, cuts down on stress and doing dumb things from being unaware.

Writing down questions is a good policy. Doctors tend to be in a rush, which is understandable but it can fluster patients and make them forget what they had meant to ask. It's happened to me a time or two and I'm a seasoned veteran when it comes to doctor's appointments.
  • dbmata
    edited November 2014
    Options
    My policy is fairly simple.

I have my questions. I leave when they are answered. My treatment is something my doctor and I partner on. I'm not going to accept what I'm told and then walk out. We discuss, we plan, and then later we review success or failure. That's just reasonable. He only sees me for a half hour at a kick once a quarter or less. How is he going to know what works and doesn't?
  • performfully
    performfully Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    My policy is fairly simple.

I have my questions. I leave when they are answered. My treatment is something my doctor and I partner on. I'm not going to accept what I'm told and then walk out. We discuss, we plan, and then later we review success or failure. That's just reasonable. He only sees me for a half hour at a kick once a quarter or less. How is he going to know what works and doesn't?

Is there actually a reason for your comments? So you never ever forget anything and you are a perfect person. Pat on the back. Congratulations.

I didn't discuss anything then walk out. We didn't discuss anything. Besides, I panic when I'm told there's something wrong with my heart, you know that one organ you REALLY REALLY NEED, when I feel like this shouldn't be happening. But you know, there's always someone with a really tall horse around the internet.

To the others, who aren't busy galloping around, I do write my questions down. And I am not sure a hole would be so serious, my doctor was calm about it anyway :smile: I really appreciate all the support here.

• dbmata
    Options
    Is there actually a reason for your comments?
    I'm sorry, we were having a discussion. You were welcome to watch of course, but your contribution isn't needed.

However judging by your need to complain, you realize that there is a way for you to be better. Tke notes about your treatment needs, and be an active participant in your health. That's the way to get the answers you are "begging" for.

If there is a "hole" the only reasonable course of action is to ensure you are only doing what your treatment team approves, and nothing more until all health issues are resolved.

Or, not, your choice.
  • performfully
    performfully Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, we were having a discussion. You were welcome to watch of course, but your contribution isn't needed.

However judging by your need to complain, you realize that there is a way for you to be better. Tke notes about your treatment needs, and be an active participant in your health. That's the way to get the answers you are "begging" for.

If there is a "hole" the only reasonable course of action is to ensure you are only doing what your treatment team approves, and nothing more until all health issues are resolved.

Or, not, your choice.

Lol.

I was actually about the most annoying patient ever during my pregnancy. I am just shaken up and out of my zone with a cardiologist. I don't really know why you think pointing out that you have never had that happen was helpful, at all. Not really sure what you're trying to achieve...
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have dysautonomia and was having the same issues you were. I ended up having to go to cardiac rehab to try to fix some of it. I cannot do any standing cardio like the elliptical or the treadmill because my HR quickly climbs into the 200s and I start to black out. I do everything seated, mostly recumbent bike and rowing machine. I have Postural Tachycardia Syndrome and I found out what it was because of how my body reacts during physical activity. I had to have a tilt table test, echo stress test, and holter monitor done to get an answer. I hope you find answers soon!
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options

To be fair, that may not always be the top thing on their mind when the doctor starts saying things like "hole shooting blood where it shouldn't be". I'll be honest, at that point my brain would instantly go right to "Outstanding, you're going to die!"

At my endocrinologist appointment when she started tossing out things she wanted to check for my brain went into freak out mode. Then when she did the ultrasound of my thyroid and found "something" that she "wants to keep tabs on" I resorted to making stupid jokes at my expense (not shaving my legs for the lose) to keep myself from crying.

I'm pretty sure that I'll forget stuff at the follow-up this week, especially if I get news I don't want to hear. I know enough about my potential issues to understand the ramifications, and I will still shut down outwardly to keep myself together. Everything I've thought of in the last week will vanish temporarily and the doctors words will sound like the teacher from Peanuts. In a few days I will pull my s*** together and go from there. I've been through it before.
  • dbmata
    Options

Or, not, your choice.

Lol.

I was actually about the most annoying patient ever during my pregnancy. I am just shaken up and out of my zone with a cardiologist. I don't really know why you think pointing out that you have never had that happen was helpful, at all. Not really sure what you're trying to achieve...

It means you're not doing enough homework.

If you need more info from your cardiologist, ask for it. If it doesn't make sense, ask for it in smaller words. I had a half hour discussion with my doctor about some breathing issues I was having. Your cardiologist should be tickled to aid in educating you.

The single worst thing you can do is not ask.

• Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    After being poked and prodded and other yucky, painful things, my brain departs my body, and I forget everything I meant to ask... :confused: I would not get any questions answered unless I wrote them down. From a heart surgery patient (20+ yrs. ago), best of luck! It can get a lot better! :+1:
  • dbmata
    Options

To be fair, that may not always be the top thing on their mind when the doctor starts saying things like "hole shooting blood where it shouldn't be". I'll be honest, at that point my brain would instantly go right to "Outstanding, you're going to die!"

At my endocrinologist appointment when she started tossing out things she wanted to check for my brain went into freak out mode. Then when she did the ultrasound of my thyroid and found "something" that she "wants to keep tabs on" I resorted to making stupid jokes at my expense (not shaving my legs for the lose) to keep myself from crying.

I'm pretty sure that I'll forget stuff at the follow-up this week, especially if I get news I don't want to hear. I know enough about my potential issues to understand the ramifications, and I will still shut down outwardly to keep myself together. Everything I've thought of in the last week will vanish temporarily and the doctors words will sound like the teacher from Peanuts. In a few days I will pull my s*** together and go from there. I've been through it before.

I can get that, it can be a shock. I had an appointment not too long ago to figure out what a suddenly located lump was. Just gotta write it down, or make it such a discussion that it's indelible.

I wonder if there would be value in appointment transcripts accessible online.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options

I can get that, it can be a shock. I had an appointment not too long ago to figure out what a suddenly located lump was. Just gotta write it down, or make it such a discussion that it's indelible.

I wonder if there would be value in appointment transcripts accessible online.

I'd utilize that. I use the same lab every time because I can access the results online, and I can go back and see prior labs as well. I'm all about documenting and keeping a history of things to refer back to, especially when my issues pertain to blood sugar and hormone levels.

I'm also not shy about calling my doctors if I think of something after the fact that I feel is important. I've really lucked out with doctors for the most part, and they have all been awesome at getting back to me when I have questions. Though to be able to go back through what we discussed in the appointment would be beneficial.
  • arunimarajan
    arunimarajan Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I think you should first consult a doctor before choosing what to do. Diet plays 50 percent role in your health. Cut down sugar and processed food from your diet. Try to have home cooked food. Stay hydrated. Have small portions at regular intervals. You can try Yoga( not power yoga) under the guidance of an expert. And slowly increase the intensity of your workout. Be regular, that's the key. And start visualising yourself with a healthy body. If you keep telling yourself that you are unhealthy, then your body will also believe it.

Stay happy and healthy:)