• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    TrainerLB wrote: »
    @solar_cat that's a great point. Although in my experience most people do one or the other (food or exercise) and then don't really get the result they're looking for. You can train your butt off in the gym, but if you go home and eat pizza you may lose weight, but your body will still be, let's say, less toned.

But I agree with you.

So you can't be toned and eat pizza?

Apparently not. Which is weird, because I eat pizza, and I keep seeing the outline of muscles visible under my skin.

what happens if you eat pizza AND ice cream....will you never see gainz????????????????

I plan on having both tonight, so I will report back, provided my muscles have not liquified and rendered me unable to type.

Now, if you eat pizza, ice cream, AND cookies, I hear that your gainz will reverse by 10% per day, and you add 1% body fat per day, until you "clean it up"....
  • ndj1979
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    TrainerLB wrote: »
    @solar_cat that's a great point. Although in my experience most people do one or the other (food or exercise) and then don't really get the result they're looking for. You can train your butt off in the gym, but if you go home and eat pizza you may lose weight, but your body will still be, let's say, less toned.

But I agree with you.

So you can't be toned and eat pizza?

Apparently not. Which is weird, because I eat pizza, and I keep seeing the outline of muscles visible under my skin.

what happens if you eat pizza AND ice cream....will you never see gainz????????????????
    Don't ask questions you already know the answer to. Rookie.

it was a rhetorical question ....

Do you also practice rhetorical lifting???

Yes...and rhetorical MFP'ing...its a curse and a gift...
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one that finds the term "clean eating" extremely annoying?

I find it bizarre people get so worked up about it.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I wont define "clean eating" but I can tell you what my last visit to the grocery store was like. I had twenty items and the only things not from the produce aisle were wine, milk and deodorant.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    Am I the only one that finds the term "clean eating" extremely annoying?

I find it bizarre people get so worked up about it.

Probably because there is a thread posted about it 20 times a day.

• ndj1979
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    I wont define "clean eating" but I can tell you what my last visit to the grocery store was like. I had twenty items and the only things not from the produce aisle were wine, milk and deodorant.

so what are you saying?
  • daydreams_of_pretty
    daydreams_of_pretty Posts: 506 Member
    Options

so what are you saying?

That wine is good and we should always include it in our shopping carts. That's what I took from it. B)
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

so what are you saying?

That wine is good and we should always include it in our shopping carts. That's what I took from it. B)

That's the only thing I thought as well :) Except my state sucks so I can't get wine at the grocery store.

• daydreams_of_pretty
    Options

so what are you saying?

That's the only thing I thought as well :) Except my state sucks so I can't get wine at the grocery store.

:open_mouth:
  • daydreams_of_pretty
    Options

so what are you saying?

I'm always fascinated when you can get liquor and groceries together. Here we can't.

I will think of you both the next time I load up my cart. The next ones for you guys, in honor of your struggles against the alcohol-related injustices inflicted upon you. :smirk:
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    You can eat over your maintenance calories and still lose weight if you're exercising.

Explain...

• autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Sorry, nevermind.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I exercise and lose more when I'm exercising.

I've heard people say that exercising doesn't make you lose weight, too. I don't know where it came from, but whatever. I thank them for the input, but it's dismissed before they're even done talking.

Semantics, but exercise doesn't make you lose weight but it helps. Being under your maintenance calories makes you lose weight.
    You can eat over your maintenance calories and still lose weight if you're exercising.

The idea that losing weight is solely about what you eat is just not true. It gets said a lot. I know that. But it isn't true.

It's the end result. If you use up more than you take in, you will lose weight, even if you take in more than the numbers say you should.

No you cant. If you are losing weight it is because you are eating at a deficit or losing water weight.

I think it's just a lack of communication.

My understanding is that Kalikel is saying that if you exercise you can eat more than your maintenance when sedentary and still lose weight, whereas others are pointing out that no matter what you only lose weight when your intake is less than your actual maintenance given your activity level. Both are true. Exercise means you can eat more than if you don't exercise and still lose (of course).

I don't think any of this is controversial; I just think people are talking past each other.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

so what are you saying?

I'm always fascinated when you can get liquor and groceries together. Here we can't.

Yup, it sucks. Can't get 6 point beer here either unless it's from the liquor store.

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I was just wondering what works best for other people personally?

IMO,

1. Exercise... daily. It is the fountain of youth.

2. Get the majority of your calories from whole, nutrient dense foods. Not only will they provide you with nearly all the nutrition you body requires, they will also help with #3.

3. Maintain a state of negative energy balance if your goal is to lose fat. There are dozens of diets out there that work because they get you in a calorie deficit (wether they tell you that or not). Pick one that suits you and do it.

4. Depending on your goals, if you have calories to spare, fill them with whatever you
    fancy.

5. We have a tendency to oversimplify the complicated science of fat loss and at the same time overcomplicate the practice of it. Don't major in the minor. Relax and try to enjoy the ride.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I exercise and lose more when I'm exercising.

I've heard people say that exercising doesn't make you lose weight, too. I don't know where it came from, but whatever. I thank them for the input, but it's dismissed before they're even done talking.

Semantics, but exercise doesn't make you lose weight but it helps. Being under your maintenance calories makes you lose weight.

The idea that losing weight is solely about what you eat is just not true. It gets said a lot. I know that. But it isn't true.

It's the end result. If you use up more than you take in, you will lose weight, even if you take in more than the numbers say you should.

No you cant. If you are losing weight it is because you are eating at a deficit or losing water weight.

I think it's just a lack of communication.

My understanding is that Kalikel is saying that if you exercise you can eat more than your maintenance when sedentary and still lose weight, whereas others are pointing out that no matter what you only lose weight when your intake is less than your actual maintenance given your activity level. Both are true. Exercise means you can eat more than if you don't exercise and still lose (of course).

I don't think any of this is controversial; I just think people are talking past each other.

You may be right based on the comment posted after that. You can eat maintenance calories for no exercise activity and then create a deficit with exercise. But the deficit is necessary for weight loss.

That is not what was said though.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options

so what are you saying?

On occasion the grocery stores here in Michigan will have wine or liquor samples to try out.