Clean Eating vs Exercise

Options

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    You can eat over your maintenance calories and still lose weight if you're exercising.

Explain...
    It doesn't matter how many calories you eat. If you burn off enough, you will still lose weight. Theoretically, you could eat 100,000 calories a day and if you burned 100,010, you'd be losing.

The idea that weight loss cannot be accomplished with exercise is hogwash. You don't have to eat under some number. You can go over the number and still lose by working it off. Weight loss doesn't happen in a vacuum in the kitchen.

If people don't agree, that's fine. I'm not here to argue. Someone else will surely show up who did log in to fight, lol. I'm just saying that you can lose weight by exercising, even if you eat over your maintenance number. If you want. If you don't want to rely on exercise, that's cool, too.

Whatever floats your boat. :)

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    in to eat over maintenance, weight train, and lose weight.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    You can eat over your maintenance calories and still lose weight if you're exercising.

Explain...
    It doesn't matter how many calories you eat. If you burn off enough, you will still lose weight. Theoretically, you could eat 100,000 calories a day and if you burned 100,010, you'd be losing.

The idea that weight loss cannot be accomplished with exercise is hogwash. You don't have to eat under some number. You can go over the number and still lose by working it off. Weight loss doesn't happen in a vacuum in the kitchen.

If people don't agree, that's fine. I'm not here to argue. Someone else will surely show up who did log in to fight, lol. I'm just saying that you can lose weight by exercising, even if you eat over your maintenance number. If you want. If you don't want to rely on exercise, that's cool, too.

Definitely just a communication error now that you summed up your thoughts. The problem with your side is that exercise plays into your maintenance calories. My maintenance is 3600 calories, this includes exercise. I cannot eat over maintenance and still lose. It's clear that you just didn't know what maintenance calories actually were. Hopefully, you have learned something.

• emmabanks87
    emmabanks87 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I think its all about finding the right balance that fits for you. I think both exercise and healthy eating go hand in hand. But I really think healthy eating is more important than exercise. if you think about it, your only exercising for a certain part of the day, whatever you put in your body is what you do all day. (also dont forget your gym is a business and will probably state exercise is more important to get you in lol)

good luck :)
  • Kalikel
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

Explain...

Definitely just a communication error now that you summed up your thoughts. The problem with your side is that exercise plays into your maintenance calories. My maintenance is 3600 calories, this includes exercise. I cannot eat over maintenance and still lose. It's clear that you just didn't know what maintenance calories actually were. Hopefully, you have learned something.
    I always assumed from context that maintenance calories were the calories required to maintain your weight. I didn't realize this was a concept that fluctuated with amounts of exercise done.

I am 100% guilty of not being hip to fitness buzzwords and have, indeed, learned a little.

What is the definition of "maintenance" as it applies to calories...or "maintenance calories" (if it's one concept with two words, lol)?

And why can't you eat over your 3600 and just do more exercise and still lose? I'm thinking that's nuts. Where am I wrong?

• Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options

Explain...

I always assumed from context that maintenance calories were the calories required to maintain your weight. I didn't realize this was a concept that fluctuated with amounts of exercise done.

I am 100% guilty of not being hip to fitness buzzwords and have, indeed, learned a little.

What is the definition of "maintenance" as it applies to calories...or "maintenance calories" (if it's one concept with two words, lol)?

And why can't you eat over your 3600 and just do more exercise and still lose? I'm thinking that's nuts. Where am I wrong?

Because if you did more exercise, those calories would be added into your maintenance calories. Maintenance calories are basically your TDEE. If you eat the exact same amount of calories you expend (including exercise), you will maintain your weight.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    jkal1979 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    rsclause wrote: »
    I wont define "clean eating" but I can tell you what my last visit to the grocery store was like. I had twenty items and the only things not from the produce aisle were wine, milk and deodorant.

so what are you saying?

That wine is good and we should always include it in our shopping carts. That's what I took from it. B)

That's the only thing I thought as well :) Except my state sucks so I can't get wine at the grocery store.

On occasion the grocery stores here in Michigan will have wine or liquor samples to try out.

That's common here (Illinois) too.
  • Kalikel
    Options
    Raynne413 wrote: »

Explain...

Because if you did more exercise, those calories would be added into your maintenance calories. Maintenance calories are basically your TDEE. If you eat the exact same amount of calories you expend (including exercise), you will maintain your weight.
    So, these maintenance calories are a constantly changing thing? No wonder you can't eat over them.

I don't know my TDEE or any of that. Since I'd lost forty pounds before I started with MFP, I decided to dance with who brung me and not bother with all that. If what I do stops working, I'll happily give it a go. Not anti-TDEE, just not going that route right now.

I'm going to withdraw my questions, lol. I don't want to know.

But thanks! :)
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    So clean eating means your only source of protein and dietary fat is milk...

Not sure if want.
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I wont define "clean eating" but I can tell you what my last visit to the grocery store was like. I had twenty items and the only things not from the produce aisle were wine, milk and deodorant.
    so what are you saying?
    That wine is good and we should always include it in our shopping carts. That's what I took from it. B)
    That's the only thing I thought as well :) Except my state sucks so I can't get wine at the grocery store.
    I'm always fascinated when you can get liquor and groceries together. Here we can't.
    You got no right to complain, in NY I've even seen beer at the Rite Aid.

In NJ, you can't purchase alcohol anywhere aside from liquor stores and bars. When I want to get drunk and eat my weight in Doritos, I need to stop in two stores. The struggle is real.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Raynne413 wrote: »

Explain...

So, these maintenance calories are a constantly changing thing? No wonder you can't eat over them.

I don't know my TDEE or any of that. Since I'd lost forty pounds before I started with MFP, I decided to dance with who brung me and not bother with all that. If what I do stops working, I'll happily give it a go. Not anti-TDEE, just not going that route right now.

I'm going to withdraw my questions, lol. I don't want to know.

But thanks! :)

Your energy expenditure does fluctuate based on the activities you do each day. A day spent in pajamas binge-watching Netflix will require fewer calories than a day spent rock climbing, for example. TDEE is an average based on your average daily activity. People who use this method eat roughly the same amount every day (or every week on average) because they prefer this method to changing their intake with daily fluctuations in activity.
  • helenarriaza
    helenarriaza Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Slacker16 wrote: »

Not sure if want.
    so what are you saying?
    I'm always fascinated when you can get liquor and groceries together. Here we can't.

In NJ, you can't purchase alcohol anywhere aside from liquor stores and bars. When I want to get drunk and eat my weight in Doritos, I need to stop in two stores. The struggle is real.

Bless my country. You can get liquor pretty much everywhere. Tiny neighborhood stores, pharmacies, chuck e cheeses, shopping malls, grocery stores, etc.

Then again, we are a third world country, we have plenty reasons to drink.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Not sure if want.
    so what are you saying?

Bless my country. You can get liquor pretty much everywhere. Tiny neighborhood stores, pharmacies, chuck e cheeses, shopping malls, grocery stores, etc.

I live in the south...they sell liquor at clothing stores down here...and guns too ...bahahahahahahaha
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

Not sure if want.
    so what are you saying?

I was back in Bucharest over Christmas.

You can buy vodka in convenience stores and street stalls, and the grocery stores had more floor space dedicated to booze than food.

No guns though.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

Not sure if want.
    so what are you saying?

I live in the south...they sell liquor at clothing stores down here...and guns too ...bahahahahahahaha

Love it. I've only really been to Texas and Florida (not sure if same as your definition of South, though). In Texas, you could get beer and wine at a grocery store, but no liquor. In Florida, grocery stores had smaller liquor stores attached to main grocery store to buy alcohol; basically, I guess the rule was that they had to be in separate buildings, so you had to "leave" the Savemart and go to Savemart "Liquor" for your booze. I'll admit it's been awhile since I was in Florida, so I don't know if my memory is bad or the rules have changed.

In California, there aren't any special laws concerning the sale of alcohol (i.e. you can get it in a grocery store, liquor store, wherever and the ABV of beer means nothing besides it'll get you drunk faster).
  • Solar_Cat
    Solar_Cat Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    We have a tendency to oversimplify the complicated science of fat loss and at the same time overcomplicate the practice of it. Don't major in the minor. Relax and try to enjoy the ride.
    Excellent point, @J72FIT! My sentiments exactly!
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

Explain...

I agree with this... was confusing because what you typed did not exactly say that.

"You can eat over your maintenance calories and still lose weight if you're exercising."

I think what you meant was, you can eat over maintenance but if you add exercise and wind up expending more then your maintenance you will lose. But then again, if that was the case, you would have no longer eaten over maintenance.

Clearly we are saying the same thing...

Cheers!

• Kalikel
    Options

Explain...

I agree with this... was confusing because what you typed did not exactly say that.

"You can eat over your maintenance calories and still lose weight if you're exercising."

I think what you meant was, you can eat over maintenance but if you add exercise and wind up expending more then your maintenance you will lose. But then again, if that was the case, you would have no longer eaten over maintenance.

Cheers!

No, I meant what I said. I didn't realize that this maintenance number changed all the time.

I am not familiar with all the lingo and apologize for using it incorrectly. Mea culpa.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

Not sure if want.
    so what are you saying?

If I want alcohol/real beer for a Sunday football or hockey game I need to make sure I buy it Saturday because liquor stores are closed....by law....on Sundays here.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

Explain...

Cheers!

No, I meant what I said. I didn't realize that this maintenance number changed all the time.

I am not familiar with all the lingo and apologize for using it incorrectly. Mea culpa.

Gotcha...

Right, maintenance changes if you add exercise. Maintenance is the amount you need to eat to maintain yourself. If you exercise and expend more energy, your maintenance increases. But I am sure that point has been beaten to death already...