Clean Eating vs Exercise

Options
So I've started clean eating and keeping within 1200 calories as well as cycling at least 4 times a week (anywhere between 30 mins to 1 hour time dependant). Someone told me that exercise isn't actually that important in weightloss and that it's more the clean eating that has an effect, whereas the gym told me as long as I do good, quality workout sessions it doesn't really matter what I eat (within moderation). I always thought it was essential to have a balance between the 2 in order to lose weight in the optimum way?
I was calorie counting before and saw no difference, as soon as I upped my exercise regime I started seeing results. I was just wondering what works best for other people personally?

Replies

• alska
    alska Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I think it's more so calories intake ... eat whatever you want as long as you don't over eat your calories ... BUT clean eating will allow you to eat more and more often cuz they are so much less in calories.

I also read that we can lose weight without exercising ... but I'm not willing to try it lol
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit is the only important thing in weight loss. Clean eating is irrelevant for weight loss and exercise is for fitness.

If you were counting before and not losing, you either had your deficit calculated incorrectly or were eating more than you thought (are you weighing solids and measuring liquids?). The increased exercise burned more calories, putting you into a deficit, which is why you started losing.

1200 calories without eating back exercise calories is not a good idea. If you would like help calculating your TDEE to see how much you should be eating, we can help you do that, but you'll need to open your diary and give us some stats.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Clean eating has 0 to do with how much weight you lose. Eating under your daily energy burn is what matters. If you workout, that makes the daily energy burn higher.
  • princessigor
    Options
    Ok, thanks, that's what I thought to be honest! I also was told that eating back the calories you burn exercising defeats the purpose of exercising - but that's wrong, right?
  • Hornsby
    Options
    Yes, that's wrong...if you go by MFP guidelines. MFP sets you up with a calorie deficit to begin with the number they provide. Your goal should be to keep that deficit basically the same after workout so if you burn 300 and eat 300 extra, you are still in a deficit. That being said, MFP exercise estimates can be overly exaggerated so you have to play with you intake to see where you are at.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I exercise and lose more when I'm exercising.

I've heard people say that exercising doesn't make you lose weight, too. I don't know where it came from, but whatever. I thank them for the input, but it's dismissed before they're even done talking.
  • princessigor
    Options
    Yeah, I know calorie deficit is the main factor but exercise definitely helps shift the inches and makes me feel thinner!
  • msalamun
    msalamun Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Yes, as long as you are under your calorie requirements for TDEE (i.e. eating at a deficiet), you will lose weight. Exercise helps burn more calories for faster results. However, without a proper diet, you will soon plateau and will not see the further results you want. You will not get that much lower body fat percentage that shows off those great abs and toned muscles. You CANNOT out-exercise a bad diet! Period. If you have a long way to go, eating "better" (but not "right") and working out will still yield results of a lower number on the scale. However, the closer you are to your goals, the much more important nutrition becomes. Your body NEEDS those nutrients and macros in the right amounts, not only to fuel you body for more vigorous exercise, but also to lose that weight!
  • Hornsby
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

I've heard people say that exercising doesn't make you lose weight, too. I don't know where it came from, but whatever. I thank them for the input, but it's dismissed before they're even done talking.

Semantics, but exercise doesn't make you lose weight but it helps. Being under your maintenance calories makes you lose weight.

• princessigor
    Options
    There's definitely more to weight-loss than people think ha!
  • Hornsby
    Options
    There's definitely more to weight-loss than people think ha!

Really there isn't. Calories in < Calories out. It's that simple.
  • TrainerLB
    TrainerLB Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    To achieve actual, real results you need a combination of proper nutrition, effective exercise training and a lifestyle change. One alone is not enough, probably why you've been getting mixed messages.

Why do you need all three?

Proper nutrition is going to fuel your workouts and dictate what kind of weight you lose or gain. Nutrition will determine whether you lose fat alone, or fat and muscle, or whether you gain fat alone or fat and muscle. Most people want to lose only fat and gain only muscle.

Exercise will determine what that muscle looks like and the shape of your body. Think of the contrast between endurance runners and wrestlers. Activity type will determine your physique.

And lastly, a lifestyle change will determine whether or not your nutrition and workout efforts are sustainable. If you're a busy executive with little to no time for meal prep and you can only fit workouts in during the evening when you're exhausted... well you're probably not going to get very far. Most people need to get serious about how much time they need to spend on meal prep and when the most effective workout times are. Plus, ask yourself if you can really sustain this? If you're doing long long bouts of cardio, in a year from now will you still want to do the same thing? I recommend looking into sports or activities you enjoy and keeping the gym only if you LOVE it.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

Semantics, but exercise doesn't make you lose weight but it helps. Being under your maintenance calories makes you lose weight.
    You can eat over your maintenance calories and still lose weight if you're exercising.

The idea that losing weight is solely about what you eat is just not true. It gets said a lot. I know that. But it isn't true.

It's the end result. If you use up more than you take in, you will lose weight, even if you take in more than the numbers say you should.
  • Solar_Cat
    Solar_Cat Posts: 188 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    TrainerLB wrote: »
    To achieve actual, real results you need a combination of proper nutrition, effective exercise training and a lifestyle change. One alone is not enough, probably why you've been getting mixed messages.
    IMO the main reason for mixed messages is that goals aren't stated clearly. If the goal is to optimize health and fitness, then you are correct, @TrainerLB (and others), it requires comprehensive changes, including diet and exercise. If the goal is simply to lose weight, then any calorie deficit will do the trick.
  • Hornsby
    Options

You can eat over your maintenance calories and still lose weight if you're exercising.

No, you can't.

• TrainerLB
    TrainerLB Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    @solar_cat that's a great point. Although in my experience most people do one or the other (food or exercise) and then don't really get the result they're looking for. You can train your butt off in the gym, but if you go home and eat pizza you may lose weight, but your body will still be, let's say, less toned.

But I agree with you.
  • Hornsby
    Options
    TrainerLB wrote: »
    @solar_cat that's a great point. Although in my experience most people do one or the other (food or exercise) and then don't really get the result they're looking for. You can train your butt off in the gym, but if you go home and eat pizza you may lose weight, but your body will still be, let's say, less toned.

But I agree with you.

So you can't be toned and eat pizza?

• mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options

The idea that losing weight is solely about what you eat is just not true. It gets said a lot. I know that. But it isn't true.

It's the end result. If you use up more than you take in, you will lose weight, even if you take in more than the numbers say you should.

No you cant. If you are losing weight it is because you are eating at a deficit or losing water weight.
  • mtoolan
    Options
    Doesn't anyone notice that how you feel greatly affects how well you can stick to an eating plan and/or an exercise plan? "Clean eating" makes me feel better. If I feel better it is easier to prepare healthy meals and avoid junk food. If I feel well it is a whole lot easier to stick with the exercise plan. An upward spiral, I would call it.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Sorry, but no...no you can't.