Yes. I'm going to ask a question about skipping breakfast.

Options

Replies

• Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    FredDoyle wrote: »
    Paging steve098
    I have regularly skipped breakfast most of my life. When I was in shape and out.
    I'm back in shape (mostly) and skip breakfast. It's up to you what helps you keep at the correct calorie level.

I find this hard to believe, as I have repeatedly been spammed, er, told, that if one skips breakfast one can eat anything one likes in the afternoon + evening and still lose weight and be fit. How could you possibly have been skipping breakfast and been out of shape??!?!? Madness!

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    RosieLoo24 wrote: »
    I'm surprised people are saying there is nothing wrong with skipping breakfast. I've always heard it is the worst thing you can do. Kick starting your metabolism and all that
    What you hear and what's actually true are two different things.

There is no scientific evidence that shows that eating breakfast "kickstarts" metabolism. Metabolism is "kickstarted" once you get out of bed since physical activity of any type increases it automatically. Metabolism is ALWAYS running or one would be considered deceased. It slows down at night, but believe it or not, one burns more fat sleeping for 8 hours vs someone doing some hard exercise for 1 hour or

Skipping breakfast is fine if you prefer that. Total calories at the end of the day are what matter most. The body isn't on an eating time clock. It digests when it gets food into it regardless of time.

Personally I skip breakfast every morning and don't eat till after 12 noon.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    There is NOTHING wrong with skipping breakfast. Meal timing doesn't matter. Just eat when you're hungry.

I wouldnt listen to this. This is very dismissive of what many doctors will tell you is the most important meal of the day.
    Most doctors have like 20 hours total of nutritional training. Most doctors have no idea how to create a workout program for an individual. Just because they are a doctor doesn't mean they trump actual peer reviewed clinical studies showing that skipping breakfast isn't detrimental if one is receiving the right amount of calories and nutrition to sustain a healthy lifestyle.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Myrmilt
    Myrmilt Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Personally, breakfast is icky. Yes, icky. I will not eat it, not in a train, not in a plane, not at all.

However, my children appear to love breakfast. So I feed them. I have friends who have to eat first thing in the morning, or else they are evil and mean. So they eat breakfast for the sake of keeping friends.

I think you should eat breakfast if you want, or not if you don't want.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    MelRC117 wrote: »
    Where's Steve98? It's right up his alley. Maybe he's busy or something...you know since he teaches at a medical school.
    This was exactly my thought. "Steve's" favorite topic and he's not here.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    RosieLoo24 wrote: »
    So ever since I was little, I've had trouble eating breakfast. When I do eat breakfast, I'm basically forcing myself to eat it. I know it sounds weird, but any other time of the day, I can eat a bowl of breakfast cereal or a piece of toast. I know skipping breakfast is so bad, so does anyone have any advice? Something new I could try? Things that are quick and easy would be great. Thanks guys :)

I get aggro when I eat breakfast, therefore I don't eat breakfast.

Although, I do have breakfast with people that I intend to set straight, makes the process a lot more fun for me.
  • wmcmurray61
    wmcmurray61 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Eat when you are hungry. Just make sure you are keeping within your goals and everything will be fine. I eat at all kinds of odd hours and I still lose and am feeling better all the time.
  • LitheVixen
    LitheVixen Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Whether or not you eat breakfast is entirely up to you. If you feel fine without it, then why fret?

That said: there's days when I'm not hungry in the morning and I skip breakfast on those. On days like that I just have a coffee with some soy milk in it and that usually keeps me 'full' until around lunchtime.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Part of the reason I looked into intermittent fasting was the fact that mornings are when I crave food the least. There may be some actual benefits to skipping breakfast, but my real purpose was calorie control.
    I leave the debate to the science egg heads.
    I have my results which settle the issue with me. Since beginning intermittent fasting, I have maintained weight but lost fat. Debate over... :D
    3ae4djm6ylf7.png
  • alska
    alska Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    If it were me ... I just wouldn't eat. Why force yourself?
  • mz_getskinny
    mz_getskinny Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Focus more on your calories and less on meal timing. I don't eat breakfast for the same reasons you listed and I'm losing weight consistently at 1-2 lbs/week. I believe the "jumpstarting your metabolism" thing is a myth.
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I think I've eaten "breakfast" less than 10 times in the last year... meal timing is completely irrelevant. I do not get hungry until around 2pm, which is when I got straight into lunch. I eat a late dinner, usually around 9:30pm, then a snack at 11pm.

When I first started here on MFP, I would try to force myself to eat breakfast because I thought it was the healthy thing to do, but I'd never have enough calories left at the end of the day. I much prefer to go without breakfast.
  • srv524
    srv524 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast due to the carb backloading principle.
  • gopgirl425
    gopgirl425 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    My first meal of the day is at 7:00 pm and my last is at 12:00 am. Timing doesn't matter.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My advisors all told me not to skip breakfast. It is when the blood sugars are at their lowest, and your body needs fuel. This is doubly important for diabetics. Also the key is not to be ravenous at any meal and lose control. A little breakfast for a small appetite is fine. Get some protein in there. I take two walnut halves at breakfast for long term blood-sugar control and appetite control. I have that with yogurt, fruit, and chia seeds.
  • mrsdenno82
    Options
    Raynne413 wrote: »
    I break all the eating rules. I get up at 5:30am, eat something around 10-11. Lunch around 1:30-2. Workout around 5-6:30. Dinner around 8:30. Snack around 9:30. Bed at 10 to 10:30.
    We are literally on an identical schedule. The only difference is I have to fit in my workouts when baby sleeps.
  • mz_getskinny
    mz_getskinny Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    Ultimately your ability to succeed in the long term for weight loss or weight maintenance will come down to how well you can adhere to your diet.

As such, if eating breakfast makes it easier for you to adhere to your calorie and macronutrient targets, then you should eat breakfast.

If eating breakfast makes it tougher for you to adhere to your calorie and macronutrient targets, then you should skip breakfast.

And that answer is going to differ from person to person.

^^ This!
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »
    Bacon and egg sandwich. 5 minutes. Boom....

I have no interest of most of this thread, but seriously, I need to know how you can make a bacon and egg sandwich in five minutes! Is this assuming the bacon is already cooked? I WANT A FIVE MINUTE BACON SANDWICH!!!