Best Ice Cream Choice

Options
It is ice cream weather here and I want to eat it. I want to find a good for me ice cream/yogurt/sherbert that is low in calories and fat. Can someone help me find the best brand of ice cream without me standing in the freezer sections reading all the labels and freezing my fingers off - I tried to do a search on the site here to see if this was discussed before but didn't find a topic to help.

;o)

Replies

• x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364
    Options
    We like the Skinny Cow ice cream products here. Can't beat the taste and it's lower in cals and fat that most.
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I think in terms of satisfaction, you might be better off getting really good ice cream (full fat, real ingredients) than semi-fake stuff and just eating in moderation. Alternatively, blend up your favorite fruit smoothie (could even do a veggie one) and freeze it like a popsicle. There is no bad food as long as you log it.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    slow churned?

I like reduced calorie things so I can eat more, plus slow churned tastes creamier
  • Ant_the_old_keith_lemon
    Ant_the_old_keith_lemon Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    if you are going to eat it, eat the best and consider it as a major treat! not simply because the sun is out
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    i am not an ice cream person, if i were still single it could sit in my freezer for a month with nary a spoon missing, i realize that i am in the minority here on that, but personally if i am going to have the indulgence of ice cream , i want something i really like, not some half fat low carb sugar free, mock ice cream , give me a little bit of the good stuff rather than a ton of the "healthy"
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I prefer frozen yogurt. I've been eating it so long now, that ice cream just tastes too thick to me. I like sherbet too, but I don't know how they compare in calories though.
  • ikudbne12
    ikudbne12 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Get a Yonanas 'Ice cream' maker.... Best buy i have made since starting my current course. Uses frozen bananas as a base then you add whatever frozen fruit that suits your fancy. I LUV frozen kiwi ice cream. Have also used berries, cherries (mixed in some chocolate). And that is all. Only fruit and it tastes like ice cream. No joke!
  • mlcantwell
    mlcantwell Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I have been eating mini milks, they are yummy 30 calorie popsicles that taste like milkshakes! Anything fruit based is usually low calorie, or you could just eat your favorite in moderation!
  • TorrizzleWillSizzle
    TorrizzleWillSizzle Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Im enjoying a cup of mint chocolate chip... full fat, calories and full yumm :)
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I like Skinny Cow too, I think they've improved since they first came out, and the truffle bars are yummy!

Another one I like is Dreyers fruit bars. They just changed the name, they're something like "Outshine" now.

Skinny Cow's roughly 100-150 calories, Dreyers fruit bars are usually under 100 and are real fruit. They have other bars, but can't comment on them.

I'd be all for getting the best if it came in a small package, like going out for ice cream (have a Dairy Queen and have been tempted for a blizzard, but haven't gone in the 7 years I've lived here!) or buying a small container, but I believe even Ben and Jerry's is considered 2 servings. If you can split the good stuff or have good control, I agree to have the good stuff! For me, the items I listed are ones I can handle having in the house, taste good to me, and are low enough in calories that I can enjoy them without the guilt.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I like the Breyers Blasts, they're very flavorful and only about 140 calories for one serving (1/2 cup). I get the cookie dough kind and I usually eat two servings at once!
  • MsStang02
    MsStang02 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I have recently tried "Thrive". I find it to be delicious and it is incredibly nutritious.... I have tried the vanilla and the chocolate, and I enjoy the vanilla more. It is 250 cals, and it **looks** like a small amount, but once you open it and get into it, it is actually a lot. And very satisfying. http://thriveicecream.com/
  • branson101
    branson101 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    skinny cow or slim a bear klondike bars are good. Sometimes I get the mini cones. That way I get the sweet treat and not the guilt. BUT! I will treat myself once in a blue moon to a chocolate malt from Culvers.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Ice cream bars are good for portion control. Blue Bell does one that is cherry ice cream dipped in chocolate and is absolutely divine. It's 200 calories, compared with 150 for a Skinny Cow ice cream sandwich. I like Skinny Cow fine, but plenty of times it's well worth the extra 50 calories for the Blue Bell.
  • Maridinger
    Maridinger Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I use skinny cow and just regular popsicles that are only 15 cals each. The SC are usually under 100 cals and taste good
  • SlimJanette
    SlimJanette Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I'd eat the real stuff and just modify the portions.

This!
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,154 Member
    Options
    I love Edy's Slow Churned ice cream. The chocolate is really creamy. It's 100 cal per 4 oz and 4 grams of fat, so going back for seconds isn't too bad. :drinker:
  • marygoodnight007
    Options
    One serving of Ben and Jerry's frozen yogurt doesn't break my calorie goals. Right now I've got the Liz Lemon flavor in the fridge it's lemon, lavender and blueberry and tastes amazing. 180 calories in 1/2 cup paired with a cup of popcorn (55 cal) it's my go-to movie snack when I need a treat.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Edy's slow churned and Breyer's Blasts are what I eat. I don't do fat free or sugar free ice cream.

Get a food scale and measure your ice cream serving out in grams. Most half cup servings are 66-67 grams, and it's better to be accurate and enjoy the good stuff than choke down the inferior.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Edy's slow churned and Breyer's Blasts are what I eat. I don't do fat free or sugar free ice cream.

Get a food scale and measure your ice cream serving out in grams. Most half cup servings are 66-67 grams, and it's better to be accurate and enjoy the good stuff than choke down the inferior.

Dreyer's(Edy's) Slow churned German Chocolate cake & Mint cookie are fantastic.