supplements?

Options
13»

Replies

• gemmamummy
    gemmamummy Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I literally have whey protein to make up protein intake and that's it. I get fish oils from actual oily fish nearly everyday. I don't have the funds to buy loads of supplements. My muscles are coming along slowly. Hair, nails and skin are good, I feel healthy so I don't feel supplements are necessary. I think sometimes we can over complicate things
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    JayRuby84 wrote: »
    I've been pondering this, too, after my trainer recommended I start using supplements. I already use the EAS protein powder and love it. I don't feel low energy but when I do, I pop a vitamin B tab and feel great after. I dunno. I don't want to dump money into something when it's not necessary.
    A trainer recommending supplements (with the exception of protein, creatine, a multi and fish oil) is more than likely not well versed in nutrition, but echoing the broscience from his/her peers or hearsay information they really didn't bother researching.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

She and I talked more about the supps and she agreed with me that I don't need anything else at this time because I feel great after my workouts and such. I was concerned initially because I don't want anybody to push something I don't need on me. I still feel great, so still not buying anything extra.
  • splashtree5
    splashtree5 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    i would say a creatine and whey protein, and the basic multivitamins every day ,protein after training to recovery well.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Vitamin B complex, Vitamin C, and magnesium. Then a couple hours later, Calcium, Vitamin D and iron. This is by my doctor's orders; you may want to have your blood levels checked so you know if you need supplements at all and if so which ones.
  • satisatisati
    satisatisati Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Hi I am new to weight training. My gym coach suggested me to add a BCAA during my workout. I bought Scivation Xtend BCAA Grape escape.
    Could you please tell me its advantages and disadvantages.
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    Creatine works well (bulking or otherwise).

As mitymax says - get your nutrition on point first, then worry about supplements. Also, make sure your training is a good solid progressive loading one.

This is a really good video from Helms at 3DMJ re what supplements are worth taking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tp3ZIFKkLg

I just take a multi (when I remember) and creatine (when I remember). Fish oil is also good, although I do not take as I am a vegetarian.

I use whey but I do not really consider it a supplement.

I like this chart a lot, definitely will watch the video. Solid advice right here OP. Supps are what you worry about if you have everything else dialed in exactly. Easy to get caught up in the hype and forget to just eat correctly. I will say creatine and pre-wo are the only things that have given me a noticeable effect compared to training without them.
  • cdlee05
    cdlee05 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I use Creatine (5g/day), Beta Alanine and my Whey Protein to supplement meals.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Hi I am new to weight training. My gym coach suggested me to add a BCAA during my workout. I bought Scivation Xtend BCAA Grape escape.
    Could you please tell me its advantages and disadvantages.

I like that BCAA, I use the same.
    On top of the BCAA's it also has glutamine added in....

Honestly speaking, if you are getting adequate protein in your diet, and not in a caloric deficit, then the need for it is not really warranted.

I use it because I do Intermittent Fasting, so I am working out after having not eaten for at least 14 hours....
    And the BCAAs help to protect muscle, so it is not a primary source of energy when exercising...
  • MityMax96
    Options
    I have recently started trying USP TEST Powder.
    I did a 4 week cycle, now I am in the 4 week off cycle, and will add it back into my routine on March 8th.

My first 4 week cycle, It seemed like it helped....but I was coming off having been sick w/ bronchitis and pneumonia....and lost 11 pounds in 3 weeks.
    So I am looking forward to my next cycle on it....and since I am doing my cut, seeing how it works with that...

So my supps will be::
    Creatine (I need to remember to get some)
    USP TEST Powder
    BCAAs (Xtend, this is a constant for me)
    Controlled Labs - Orange Triad multi-vitamin
    Fish oil when I remember
    And whey protein if I am in a pinch and need the protein

If I am not liking my progress by end of April, I may add in Cellucor's Super HD.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    MityMax96 wrote: »
    I have recently started trying USP TEST Powder.
    I did a 4 week cycle, now I am in the 4 week off cycle, and will add it back into my routine on March 8th.

My first 4 week cycle, It seemed like it helped....but I was coming off having been sick w/ bronchitis and pneumonia....and lost 11 pounds in 3 weeks.
    So I am looking forward to my next cycle on it....and since I am doing my cut, seeing how it works with that...

So my supps will be::
    Creatine (I need to remember to get some)
    USP TEST Powder
    BCAAs (Xtend, this is a constant for me)
    Controlled Labs - Orange Triad multi-vitamin
    Fish oil when I remember
    And whey protein if I am in a pinch and need the protein

If I am not liking my progress by end of April, I may add in Cellucor's Super HD.

So what are you using during cut and maintenance phases?
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Right now, just BCAA's
    And whey protein if I am not hitting my protein goals.
    and coffee. :smile:
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Right now, just BCAA's
    And whey protein if I am not hitting my protein goals.
    and coffee. :smile:

Coffee is the most important!
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Totally agree!!!! Things are not right in the world without that stuff.....
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    Creatine works well (bulking or otherwise).

As mitymax says - get your nutrition on point first, then worry about supplements. Also, make sure your training is a good solid progressive loading one.

This is a really good video from Helms at 3DMJ re what supplements are worth taking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tp3ZIFKkLg

I just take a multi (when I remember) and creatine (when I remember). Fish oil is also good, although I do not take as I am a vegetarian.

I use whey but I do not really consider it a supplement.

Ah the Eric Helms pyramid!!! YES!!!
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Omega 3 oil, multi vit, and vit c twice a day (it's water soluble and only lasts 12 hours).
    Along with all the other stuff I do and DONT do lol it keeps me going through the endurance event which is my life.....
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    How
    Your diet will need to be right....for whatever your goals are. Supps won't do crap, if your diet is crap.

I think that CLA and Raspberry Ketones are a waste of money.
    Haven't done any reading on ZMA, so not sure there.

Creatine is a good supp, I use him from time to time....
    Glutamine....I can go either way on that, I think you would do better to get a BCAA that includes glutamine.....I use Xtend, by Scivation.
    Fish oils are good, make sure they are quality ones....meaning they have a decent amt. per serving

For me and my supps
    Scivation Xtend (BCAA)
    Scivation Psycho (pre-workout)
    Whey Protein, I like Met-RX
    Omega Oils, using one by Met-RX right now
    Mutlit-Vitamin, I am using Orange Triad, by Controlled Labs, has helped me w/ my joints

How's that pre work out that you use, I'm looking for a new one.
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Also to the OP, I don't really suggest getting involved with too many supplements, pre work outs are great, just take a multi vitamin everyday (can be bought anywhere), Creatine is good, I use Creatine HCL made by Concrete, and protein powder. Most protein powders have BCAAs in them. I wouldn't waste your time really all that other stuff. Not until you've seen results starting out, I don't think any of that other stuff makes a difference.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Seth1825 wrote: »
    How
    Your diet will need to be right....for whatever your goals are. Supps won't do crap, if your diet is crap.

I think that CLA and Raspberry Ketones are a waste of money.
    Haven't done any reading on ZMA, so not sure there.

Creatine is a good supp, I use him from time to time....
    Glutamine....I can go either way on that, I think you would do better to get a BCAA that includes glutamine.....I use Xtend, by Scivation.
    Fish oils are good, make sure they are quality ones....meaning they have a decent amt. per serving

For me and my supps
    Scivation Xtend (BCAA)
    Scivation Psycho (pre-workout)
    Whey Protein, I like Met-RX
    Omega Oils, using one by Met-RX right now
    Mutlit-Vitamin, I am using Orange Triad, by Controlled Labs, has helped me w/ my joints

How's that pre work out that you use, I'm looking for a new one.

Ha...my name is Seth. How funny.

Uh the pre-workout was good, I liked it a lot.
    But I am off it now....not sure if I will add it back in at a later time or not.
    I tend to have pretty decent workouts if I get some good rest.