Clipless Pedals: Are they really worth it?

Options
1234568»

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    This is one of the best suggestions I can give. Read this:

http://www.bikejames.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/FPR-Manifesto-July-2014.pdf

Yes, it's biased one way, but there is ample scientific and real expert advice on it. Yes, it's geared towards mountain biking, but if you're not racing the difference between pedaling on a road bike and pedaling on a mountain bike are fundamentally the same. I have ridden both plenty.

The top suggestion I can give is: Do your research. Don't go in based on opinions from strangers. They are just that, opinions aren't worth a grain of salt. I've researched this for months and that's why I have the opinion I have. I have done clipless and I came out injured, so I am biased. I didn't know it was clipless that lead to the injury. I researched into the cause of my injury and came to the conclusion that clipless pedals were a factor in injuring my knees. I had read up many, many sources on proper bike fitment which that lead me to flat pedals. I spent a solid 6 months doing nothing but reading up on bicycle fitment and repetitive use injury in my free time, and that's why I'm now advocating flat pedals for anyone who isn't competing on a bicycle.

But all you see are words on a screen, and all you see are these opinions. Take it all with a grain of salt, hit of Google and if you don't trust the internet, your local library. Read up on it. Don't go in blind.

I like Bike James, but 1, he's a mountain biker and 2. he's not anti-clipless.

http://www.bikejames.com/strength/im-really-not-anti-clipless-pedals-im-pro-flat-pedals/
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Honestly, I ride clipless because I was cheap and I did not want to spend the extra money on the shoes and the pedals when I bought my new bike. I spent the savings on a Scotty Cameron putter. Never regretted it, except once (read on).

I also ride the KATY trail 99% of the time. This is an old rail-line that was converted to a hiking/biking trail. It is covered in chat, a very fine limestone gravel and the trail spans the great state of Missouri, almost, and runs along the Missouri River. Sometimes I get off the bike and hike some side trails (overlooks and such), look for morel mushrooms when in season, so running shoes do come in handy.

I once did do a long road ride -The MS 150 - a two day, 75 miles per day ride if you ride the extremes. On this ride, I found myself wanting to try better pedals/shoes...so much so I did not do the full 75 mile ride. I did the mid-range 40 mile ride. I am curious still if the pedals would have made a difference. My pedals may have failed me, or not, but my new putter has not failed me once. B)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,227 Member
    Options
    goiahawks wrote: »
    I have become an avid cyclist over the last year. I started off with an old Trek mountain bike and then bought a Jamis road bike. This year I bought a Trek carbon road bike.

Long story short - I ride in my running shoes. They are comfortable and I seem to have no issues. The dudes at the LBS (local bike shop) are telling me I need to get clipless pedals and clipless shoes. They explained that the benefits far outweigh the possible accidents I could get in wearing shoes that I can't just "hop off the bike" with.

I'd like to hear some thoughts on both sides of this issue. I'm just trying to figure out if it is really worth the extra cost and the possible accidents (which, knock on wood, I haven't had one yet where I got hurt) to go clipless.

Thanks!

Are they necessary, no. I switched over to them and like them. Only fell once with them, and that was not directly connected to the actual locking into the pedal. There are times I find them a pain like when I want to quickly hope on the bike and don't feel like putting my cycling shoes on, but overall I find the overall experience of having them beneficial. Do what you like, unless you are competing I don't think they are absolutely necessary.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I ride clipless because I was cheap and I did not want to spend the extra money on the shoes and the pedals when I bought my new bike. I spent the savings on a Scotty Cameron putter. Never regretted it, except once (read on).

For what it's worth "clipless" refers, rather unintuitively, to pedals that you clip in to. "Clips" in the traditional sense are the toe cages with straps, thus the kind that you actually attached with cleats were "clipless" because they didn't have a toe clip.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    This is one of the best suggestions I can give. Read this:

http://www.bikejames.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/FPR-Manifesto-July-2014.pdf

Yes, it's biased one way, but there is ample scientific and real expert advice on it. Yes, it's geared towards mountain biking, but if you're not racing the difference between pedaling on a road bike and pedaling on a mountain bike are fundamentally the same. I have ridden both plenty.

The top suggestion I can give is: Do your research. Don't go in based on opinions from strangers. They are just that, opinions aren't worth a grain of salt. I've researched this for months and that's why I have the opinion I have. I have done clipless and I came out injured, so I am biased. I didn't know it was clipless that lead to the injury. I researched into the cause of my injury and came to the conclusion that clipless pedals were a factor in injuring my knees. I had read up many, many sources on proper bike fitment which that lead me to flat pedals. I spent a solid 6 months doing nothing but reading up on bicycle fitment and repetitive use injury in my free time, and that's why I'm now advocating flat pedals for anyone who isn't competing on a bicycle.

But all you see are words on a screen, and all you see are these opinions. Take it all with a grain of salt, hit of Google and if you don't trust the internet, your local library. Read up on it. Don't go in blind.

I like Bike James, but 1, he's a mountain biker and 2. he's not anti-clipless.

http://www.bikejames.com/strength/im-really-not-anti-clipless-pedals-im-pro-flat-pedals/

I'm not anti-clipless either.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Next up, is shaving your body hair really worth the aerodynamic advantage?

Aerodynamics is not why professional cyclists shave their legs. They shave because they get a hard massage once or twice every single day, and body hairs make it a lot less comfortable.

The second reason is because sweat beads at the base of the hairs, so if you crash, the wound is more likely to get infected.

The first statement I got from an actual maseusse for a professional team. The second is just something I've heard.

That wasn't the question. I asked if it's worth the aerodynamic advantage. ;)

I don't know...but I feel way sexier...

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Next up, is shaving your body hair really worth the aerodynamic advantage?

Aerodynamics is not why professional cyclists shave their legs. They shave because they get a hard massage once or twice every single day, and body hairs make it a lot less comfortable.

The second reason is because sweat beads at the base of the hairs, so if you crash, the wound is more likely to get infected.

The first statement I got from an actual maseusse for a professional team. The second is just something I've heard.

That wasn't the question. I asked if it's worth the aerodynamic advantage. ;)

I don't know...but I feel way sexier...

Bingo!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    you all are women.
  • matsprt1984
    matsprt1984 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Saving for later...just too much good info. :p