Do you think working out/exercise is boring?

Options
Step 1: Find other friends who want to lose weight/get in better shape or just start taking better care of themselves.
Step 2: Buy veggie tray and sparkling water.
Step 3: Find old 80's/90's fitness tapes.
Step 4: Invite said friends over, have them wear ridiculous 80's/90's workout fashions
Step 5: Let the workout party ensue.

If you're just getting into exercise, it can suck. Big time. But it really can be as fun as you make it. Zumba, dance classes, kick boxing classes, yoga, can all be really fun if you forget that you're exercising and just looking at it as a fun activity to do! Trampolines are awesome too!

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,717 Member
    Options
    I use a boring elliptical for cardio, but pass the time by watching TV on a tablet or smartphone. As I don't watch TV otherwise, it's kind of a treat, actually.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Step 1 - realize it's not about having fun, but rather about improving your health, appearance, and overall quality of life, and thus do the workouts anyways.
  • Tbaby1514
    Tbaby1514 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Step 1 - realize it's not about having fun, but rather about improving your health, appearance, and overall quality of life, and thus do the workouts anyways.

Yes, but the average Joe might not feel as motivated to do it then. There's nothing wrong with making a workout fun! Once you do that, you realize how good it feels and continue down the path of healthiness and such.
  • jacksonpt
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Tbaby1514 wrote: »

Yes, but the average Joe might not feel as motivated to do it then. There's nothing wrong with making a workout fun! Once you do that, you realize how good it feels and continue down the path of healthiness and such.

Agreed, I just think it's the wrong mindset to have. That's the way kids think. Adults do what needs to be done, even if it's not fun. I guess you could argue the necessity of exercise, but...

Also, to be good at something is to enjoy it. Do it, get good at it, and you'll enjoy it. Very few things are fun if you suck at them.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    You have to find some sort of exercise you can enjoy.

29509743.png
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Step 1: Find other friends who want to lose weight/get in better shape or just start taking better care of themselves.
    Step 2: Buy veggie tray and sparkling water.
    Step 3: Find old 80's/90's fitness tapes.
    Step 4: Invite said friends over, have them wear ridiculous 80's/90's workout fashions
    Step 5: Let the workout party ensue.

If you're just getting into exercise, it can suck. Big time. But it really can be as fun as you make it. Zumba, dance classes, kick boxing classes, yoga, can all be really fun if you forget that you're exercising and just looking at it as a fun activity to do! Trampolines are awesome too!

I would do something like this when I was your age. It was considerably more adult themed though. YMMV.
  • SLHysell
    SLHysell Posts: 247 Member
    Options

I find strength exercises to be a little boring, but I do 'em anyway. Sometimes I listen to political podcasts to get my blood pumping....

Running on the other hand is wonderful. I never get bored running as long as it's not on a track or a treadmill. Again, I listen to podcasts, but for running I listen to more science and educational stuff...and NPR nerd programming.

All hail the ear buds!!
  • Tbaby1514
    Options

Agreed, I just think it's the wrong mindset to have. That's the way kids think. Adults do what needs to be done, even if it's not fun. I guess you could argue the necessity of exercise, but...

Also, to be good at something is to enjoy it. Do it, get good at it, and you'll enjoy it. Very few things are fun if you suck at them.

Last year 75% of people admitted that their use their phone while going to the bathroom. Just because it's a necessity doesn't mean they aren't looking for an entertainment factor.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

Last year 75% of people admitted that their use their phone while going to the bathroom. Just because it's a necessity doesn't mean they aren't looking for an entertainment factor.

Yes dear.

• civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I don't know, perhaps its because I am at a stage in my life and with all the incumbent responsibilities that come with it, I enjoy the hell out of my workouts. I mean, I always did and especially when I couldn't take the physical beatings of skating or snowboardng any longer in my late twenties and early thirties I enjoyed the activity in the gym. Most workout amps go to 10, I wrote an 11 on mine because that's how I usually feel post workout - like I want to go back.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

Weight training is fun man.

• Tbaby1514
    Options
    I don't know, perhaps its because I am at a stage in my life and with all the incumbent responsibilities that come with it, I enjoy the hell out of my workouts. I mean, I always did and especially when I couldn't take the physical beatings of skating or snowboardng any longer in my late twenties and early thirties I enjoyed the activity in the gym. Most workout amps go to 10, I wrote an 11 on mine because that's how I usually feel post workout - like I want to go back.

I'm talking about the over weight average person (mostly females lack the motivation for the physical part of diet and exercise) just trying to get into making all of these changes.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Where do these data come from?
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    SLHysell wrote: »

I find strength exercises to be a little boring, but I do 'em anyway. Sometimes I listen to political podcasts to get my blood pumping....

Running on the other hand is wonderful. I never get bored running as long as it's not on a track or a treadmill. Again, I listen to podcasts, but for running I listen to more science and educational stuff...and NPR nerd programming.

All hail the ear buds!!

LoL, I am the exact opposite. Running is boring, but I am loving strength training. The heavier the better B)

I used to enjoy running till I started having hip problems. Then I found strength training. I do some running but am now focusing more on HIIT instead of the long steady state cardio.
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Options

I'm talking about the over weight average person (mostly females lack the motivation for the physical part of diet and exercise) just trying to get into making all of these changes.
    Yes, I am in agreement with you. I take the position that an approach to exercise should not be split into a false dilemma, i.e. its either business or pleasure - this you have not done. Others have.
  • Tbaby1514
    Options

Yes, I am in agreement with you. I take the position that an approach to exercise should not be split into a false dilemma, i.e. its either business or pleasure - this you have not done. Others have.

I love exercising. But when I first started, I just looked at it as a chore. I definitely never pictured me saying that I love running! But now I do!
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options

What's wrong with having a little fun during your workout? Until I found something I loved to do I had a hard time staying motivated. Now that I enjoy my workouts I find I push myself even harder.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

I thought I hated exercise. Turns out I just hated the gym. And exercise videos. So I tried other things until I found something I actually enjoy, and now exercise isn't a chore, but something I look forward to.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I exercise over 3 hours nearly every day.
    It's never boring, because it's not really exercise to me. I merely engage my passions and train my body in ways that enrich health and increase fitness but that I enjoy!
    cl59ifgpc28d.png

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Step 1: find something you love to do.

I love water and swimming so I do a water aerobics class 3 x a week. I love fresh air and the outdoors so I walk 6 x a week.