Do you think working out/exercise is boring?

Options

Replies

• LinOtt
    LinOtt Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Well, you have to start somewhere, and it is easier to start a new habit if it is enjoyable. I just dont find OPs suggestion appealing. I have simply tried to include more movement into my daily life. The aim is to attain balance in my life, and I don't have the patience to wait until someone else feels like making it fun for me.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I thought working out/exercise was boring when I did cardio or fitness tapes. Now that I do something I love (lifting) I look forward to working out.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    digginDeep wrote: »
    Tbaby1514 wrote: »
    I don't know, perhaps its because I am at a stage in my life and with all the incumbent responsibilities that come with it, I enjoy the hell out of my workouts. I mean, I always did and especially when I couldn't take the physical beatings of skating or snowboardng any longer in my late twenties and early thirties I enjoyed the activity in the gym. Most workout amps go to 10, I wrote an 11 on mine because that's how I usually feel post workout - like I want to go back.

I'm talking about the over weight average person (mostly females lack the motivation for the physical part of diet and exercise) just trying to get into making all of these changes.

Just curious, is there science behind this?

From experience, it is more of an ignorance to weight training than lack of motivation.
  • Tbaby1514
    Tbaby1514 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I don't know, perhaps its because I am at a stage in my life and with all the incumbent responsibilities that come with it, I enjoy the hell out of my workouts. I mean, I always did and especially when I couldn't take the physical beatings of skating or snowboardng any longer in my late twenties and early thirties I enjoyed the activity in the gym. Most workout amps go to 10, I wrote an 11 on mine because that's how I usually feel post workout - like I want to go back.

I'm talking about the over weight average person (mostly females lack the motivation for the physical part of diet and exercise) just trying to get into making all of these changes.

Yes actually. Because of our make up, women are much more satisfied with taking care of others than ourselves. Also, it has to do with our self-consciousness. A lot of women would rather accept being over weight, or choose a diet plan that requires sticking to strict calories, than to put on tight fitting work out clothes and feel she is being judged/silently picked on as she exercises.

Now, I know there are a LOT of bad *kitten* females, but remember I'm talking about the average over weight female, not someone who just wants to lose 5 pounds.

Also, these are studies done, so that doesn't mean I agree with it, it's just me trying to say that once you find what you like, exercising is fun.
  • usmcmp
    Options

Yes actually. Because of our make up, women are much more satisfied with taking care of others than ourselves. Also, it has to do with our self-consciousness. A lot of women would rather accept being over weight, or choose a diet plan that requires sticking to strict calories, than to put on tight fitting work out clothes and feel she is being judged/silently picked on as she exercises.

Now, I know there are a LOT of bad *kitten* females, but remember I'm talking about the average over weight female, not someone who just wants to lose 5 pounds.

Also, these are studies done, so that doesn't mean I agree with it, it's just me trying to say that once you find what you like, exercising is fun.

Where are these studies?
  • Tbaby1514
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

Where are these studies?

All over the internet. And yes, I make sure they are credible sources, although I'm sure some are outdated.
  • usmcmp
    Options

Where are these studies?

All over the internet. And yes, I make sure they are credible sources, although I'm sure some are outdated.

You made the claim that mostly females lack motivation for exercise. It's your job to back it up, not my job to go search for it.
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Step 1 - realize it's not about having fun, but rather about improving your health, appearance, and overall quality of life, and thus do the workouts anyways.
    Yea but if your having fun along with everything else you are more likely to stick with it.
  • Tbaby1514
    Options

Where are these studies?

You made the claim that mostly females lack motivation for exercise. It's your job to back it up, not my job to go search for it.

I didn't make any claims. And I'm not going to argue with you on a post I made to tell people that exercise can be fun. That's ridiculous. Not even sure why you're mad. I think personally that fitness and lifting are becoming a popular trend with females and I admire it.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

Where are these studies?

I didn't make any claims. And I'm not going to argue with you on a post I made to tell people that exercise can be fun. That's ridiculous. Not even sure why you're mad. I think personally that fitness and lifting are becoming a popular trend with females and I admire it.

But you DID make the claim. Add me to the list of people...excuse me, WOMEN....who would like to see all these studies you claim are out there.

• JTick
    Options

And here it is, in case you decide to edit.

• Tbaby1514
    edited October 2014
    Options
    JTick wrote: »

and then someone asked if there was any science behind it and I said yes. It is not my personal opinion. Again, not going to argue with you guys because you exercise so you assume everyone has your mentality.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    vada44 wrote: »
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Step 1 - realize it's not about having fun, but rather about improving your health, appearance, and overall quality of life, and thus do the workouts anyways.
    Yea but if your having fun along with everything else you are more likely to stick with it.

Agreed.

I'm not saying that exercise SHOULDN'T or CAN'T be fun... I'm saying that the fact it isn't fun (for those who don't enjoy it) isn't a good enough reason not to do it. If you can make it fun or if you just naturally enjoy it, then great, but the reason we exercise isn't in order to have fun... it's to get stronger or faster or leaner or bigger or healthier or handle stress or any of a slew of other factors. Those are the reasons exercise is important and that it should be done. Any enjoyment you get from it is just a bonus.

It's like doing dishes... few people enjoy doing dishes, but it still needs to be done. If having some music on while you do them makes it more enjoyable, then great, but don't do dishes as a way to have fun.
  • Wronkletoad
    Wronkletoad Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    "it's all over the internet" = "it's what I want to believe and pretend is right. therefore it must be right. therefore I don't have any obligation to show backing for my claim".

c'mon, dude, even the Powell point was, you know, like an effort...

there's crap all over the internet about anti vax, faux gluten problems, homeopathy... there's pseudoscientific sounding aids denialism still. that's a weak sauce cop out. post em, justify your claim, or just call it your opinion. dig?
  • usmcmp
    edited October 2014
    Options

and then someone asked if there was any science behind it and I said yes. It is not my personal opinion. Again, not going to argue with you guys because you lift weights so you assume everyone has your mentality.

You make a claim, we ask to see the science behind it, you get upset and say that you didn't make the claim.

It has nothing to do with how I think or feel, it has everything to do with you making a claim that you now say you didn't make and you won't show us proof of. If you were a guy people would say that your claim was simply sexist, so we aren't being extra hard on you. You make a claim, you back it up.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

Where's your proof?

You just said 4x3 = banana.
    Show your work.
  • JTick
    Options

and then someone asked if there was any science behind it and I said yes. It is not my personal opinion. Again, not going to argue with you guys because you exercise so you assume everyone has your mentality.

You're assuming I'm assuming. Maybe you haven't been here long, but claiming science without providing the proof doesn't really fly here.
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Options

Yes, I am in agreement with you. I take the position that an approach to exercise should not be split into a false dilemma, i.e. its either business or pleasure - this you have not done. Others have.

I love exercising. But when I first started, I just looked at it as a chore. I definitely never pictured me saying that I love running! But now I do!

Awesome! That's what I like to hear.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

She already ignored my request for where such data came from.
  • JTick
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

Where's your proof?

You just said 4x3 = banana.
    Show your work.

If the mass of the box is twice the mass of the pear, what is the speed of the sun? Purple, because aliens don't eat pancakes.