Do you think working out/exercise is boring?

Options

Replies

• Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    I finding lifting weights to be as boring as a treadmill, elliptical, etc. I find being fat to be worse.
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Tbaby1514 - Thank you for the suggestions. In my teens I exercised for fun. Now with OA and RA, it is a struggle. But if I keep my mind occupied, time goes by faster. It doesn't matter how you find your joy, just find it. While I won't be inviting people over to zumba in my livingroom, I do invite friends to walk outside, or join me at my gym, so we can chat. And if I have to go alone, I hope for something interesting on the TV. "to each his own"!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I don't work out.. I train and no it isn't boring.. I love it
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I like how you said what I was saying- only in once sentence.

You win. LMAO.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I'm confused.

well not really because here's the thing.

There are people who train.

and there are people who check the box to work out.

and then there are people who are kind of addicted to the feeling of working out- but are still just working out- because it's their hobby and it's "fun"

I do not have fun when I'm lifting- it hurts. It sucks- I'm in pain. sometimes my muscles burn- sometimes my lungs burn- sometimes I bleed- sometimes I puke- I pass out. It SUCKS.

But I LOVE it. I love every second of it- I love it for what and who it makes me.
    People who run 5/10Ks. a lot of them aren't "checking a box" they are having fun- and they like the feelings they get.

Then there are marathoners- who sacrifice short term- suffer long term- and grind through for a bigger long term goal- training. They don't have 'fun" a lot of times- but they do it because they love the long term bigger aspect of it. Same with power lifting.

I'm a dancer- I do not go to bellydance class for fun. I don't go for aerobics- I'm a serious dancer- sometimes- many times- it is not fun. Its hard- it's sweaty- I have to deal with other women and we get cranky- and it's frustrating b/c the *kitten* we do is hard. But I LOVE it.

I'm training for bigger goals.

This goes far beyond "fun". Saying it's fun just doesn't even cover it. I'm not looking to be entertained by my workouts.

People are so wrapped up with being entertained and having to check their stupid little box that they worked out they forget about anything bigger. It's sad.

xthumb.gif

I like this.

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

You win. LMAO.

LOL thanks and just for the record I didn't read any of the replies before answering :p
  • Beautifulreflections
    Beautifulreflections Posts: 86 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Tbaby1514 wrote: »
    digginDeep wrote: »
    Tbaby1514 wrote: »
    Because of our make up,

Agreed.10/10 chance if I put on make up, I do not feel like going to the gym.

tee hee
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    To me it is sad to see how many really hate exercise and if they could do something else would. I love it all. I love how it makes me feel, the challenge, solidarity, time to zone out, relax and have fun. Yes, I mean treadmill, running outside, weights, ok maybe not situps but there are other core exercises and yes even stretching. DO I use music yes to set pace keep me focused and eliminate background noise or conversations. Some of my passion comes from twice having to start over once learning to walk again. If you couldn't be independent that is so much worse
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

You win. LMAO.

LOL thanks and just for the record I didn't read any of the replies before answering :p

LMAO- I type way to much- I barely expect people to read it- but I can't help myself LOL.

train- not workout. I should say that more often.
  • teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I think exercising is boring. So I listen to music while I exercise to keep me from being so bored. If I did not want to see what I look like with muscle and want to be stronger I would not exercises. I would just change my everyday diet, because I would not see the point in doing anything else.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    The gym is very boring. I could walk all day outside. Ten minutes on a treadmill and I'm ready to leave. Those weight machines...I don't know. When my shoulder heals, I'll try them one more time. But the gym - even the idea of the gym! - bores me.

Swimming is fun. Walking is fun. Running - we shall see, but it isn't boring, that's for sure!

I don't see very many people continuing to do exercise they don't enjoy. I think the smart thing to do is to find things you enjoy and do those. :)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    well, just keep in mind, machines are boring.
  • starryphoenix
    starryphoenix Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    No... I have a blast at the gym. I am varied in my workouts. I do a lot of different stuff. Like for example yesterday I went swimming, did weight lifting on a lot of different machines, did ab exercises, stretching, barbells, Dumbbells, TRX, kettlebelll, and cardio on 5 different machines. :)
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

/thread.

• Wronkletoad
    Wronkletoad Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

and a third- or fourth-best alternative to weights...

for those who "train" -- for what are you training? to me that entails for a specific event / sport (e.g., BJJ with or w/o competition; a 1/2 marathon, etc), whereas "working out" is "exercise with a program and progression"... semantics at this point, but I'm just curious about "training"
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

for those who "train" -- for what are you training? to me that entails for a specific event / sport (e.g., BJJ with or w/o competition; a 1/2 marathon, etc), whereas "working out" is "exercise with a program and progression"... semantics at this point, but I'm just curious about "training"

Not to get toooo bogged down by semantics, but to me -

working out is putting stress on the body, i.e. working it out. It can be very willy nilly, or it can be very intentional, purposeful, and goal oriented.

training is training the body for something specific. It can be to bike a certain distance, to run a certain pace, to lift a certain amount, etc. It can be event based (for a race or competition), but certainly doesn't have to be... sometimes it's just about setting a PR.

Training is always working out, but working out is not always training.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    I'm confused.

well not really because here's the thing.

There are people who train.

and there are people who check the box to work out.

and then there are people who are kind of addicted to the feeling of working out- but are still just working out- because it's their hobby and it's "fun"

I do not have fun when I'm lifting- it hurts. It sucks- I'm in pain. sometimes my muscles burn- sometimes my lungs burn- sometimes I bleed- sometimes I puke- I pass out. It SUCKS.

But I LOVE it. I love every second of it- I love it for what and who it makes me.
    People who run 5/10Ks. a lot of them aren't "checking a box" they are having fun- and they like the feelings they get.

Then there are marathoners- who sacrifice short term- suffer long term- and grind through for a bigger long term goal- training. They don't have 'fun" a lot of times- but they do it because they love the long term bigger aspect of it. Same with power lifting.

I'm a dancer- I do not go to bellydance class for fun. I don't go for aerobics- I'm a serious dancer- sometimes- many times- it is not fun. Its hard- it's sweaty- I have to deal with other women and we get cranky- and it's frustrating b/c the *kitten* we do is hard. But I LOVE it.

I'm training for bigger goals.

This goes far beyond "fun". Saying it's fun just doesn't even cover it. I'm not looking to be entertained by my workouts.

People are so wrapped up with being entertained and having to check their stupid little box that they worked out they forget about anything bigger. It's sad.

^^^^So much Win Right there!! :smiley:
  • little_simon
    little_simon Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Exercise for the sake of exercise? Yes

Programming a routine for a desired outcome or purpose? No

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

OK, weights are boring as well. A neccessary evil.

And personally my training is, at the moment, half marathon, building to marathon, building to Ultra.

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    vada44 wrote: »
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Step 1 - realize it's not about having fun, but rather about improving your health, appearance, and overall quality of life, and thus do the workouts anyways.
    Yea but if your having fun along with everything else you are more likely to stick with it.

that's pretty subjective. For a lot of people, having something be painful and difficult and very very hard is much easier to stick to than something that seems like a game you dont have to take seriously :D