Paleo question and recommendations

Options

Replies

• BlondeQtTexas
    BlondeQtTexas Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I read Gary Taubes book 3 or 4 years ago. I think it is a great book.
  • BlondeQtTexas
    BlondeQtTexas Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm confused as to how you can simultaneously eliminate dairy and still cook everything in butter/ghee? It is, you know, made from cream, right? Did you not have to do that old-timey farm visit thing in grade school where you churned cream into butter? Toooootally dairy, guys.

Some Paleo people eat it - some do not. I personally do not. I use other fats such as coconut oil, avocado oil (which is super yummy) bacon fat and olive oil.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be blunt.

I think Paelo is stupid. The science behind it doesn't work for me, I'm not going to argue about it, but I'll say that as someone with a degree in biology and at least half a brain, it makes about as much sense as going on Atkins, sure, it works for some people, but I could lose weight eating only carrots and ranch dressing too, that doesn't make it healthy. It's a fad diet, biologically speaking, you're not a paleolithic woman, you don't need to eat like one. Our bodies are not the same as our ancestors and our diets have evolved as well - there's absolutely nothing wrong with a healthy person with a body functioning as it should eating beans and grains.

So, in short, try it if you want to, but don't try to pretend it just makes sense because that's how our ancestors ate and that it's healthier than eating a well balanced modern diet. It's a fad, and like all fads, some people really get into it and it works for them, but it doesn't change the fact that it's a fad diet. And for the love of peanut butter and jelly, don't make your kids do it. They're growing and they need all food groups, putting your kids on a diet is absurd - they need to learn healthy balanced eating and portion control.
    Paleo works to an extent. their reasoning behind it is crap.

If you take certain things from certain diets you can incorporate it into an overall perfect lifestyle.
    The cultist actions make me despise paleo and the followers, along with the presentaiton of information.

The reason why people give up on diets is because of foods they crave, sugar, fried foods, etc.
    That is why most diets fail eventually is because people want these foods again. Diets do not teach moderation, just full restriction.

If you can incorporate the whole foods of paleo which they do not talk about satiation. They use reversion to stone age diet(which is wrong in general), we did not consume meat heavy back then.
    Incorporate IIFYM

The combination of using satiation heavy foods(you enjoy) along with "junk foods" you enjoy to fit your energy requirements is sustainable lifelong diet and is the way to go.
    Paleo does not advertise itself as this.

The satiety of processed foods is crap, thats the truth of the matter.
    Now for optimal dieting to consume as little calories as possible while eliminating hunger pains, IF I HAD TO FOR WHATEVER REASON, I would consume 100% non processed foods. meat, fruits, and vegetables.

But as I said before... its not sustainable long term.
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options

But as I said before... its not sustainable long term.

What do you consider long term? Is 15 months long term? How about 15 years? Your generalizations are as bad as the evangelical Paleo hype.

Why does everyone insist on telling everyone else how stupid they are? I don't bash your diet, why are you bashing mine? Everyone isn't as stupid as you think they are.

I will yell it loud and clear to anyone within earshot that I went from 254 lbs to 185 lbs and 36% BF to 16% BF on a Paleo diet. Only one data point you say? Damn skippy. The only data point that matters to me. I could care less what worked for you.

Let people decide for themselves.

Tom
  • DatMurse
    Options

I will yell it loud and clear to anyone within earshot that I went from 254 lbs to 185 lbs and 36% BF to 16% BF on a Paleo diet.

Tom

good for you.

254 to 185? what? omg let me undue everything else that I said. I dropped 235 to 185 in 6 months. whats your point?

You were still hypocaloric regardless of what route you took.

i can eat w/e i want and still lose weight.

you have to follow a structured diet based around the elimination of food groups on the basis that they are unhealthy due to gluten, sugars, and the fact it is not older than 10,000 years old

even though bread is older than 10k years along with pie and many other products.
  • tomcornhole
    Options
    I don't care.
  • DatMurse
    Options
    I don't care.
    When I get old and I have grankids. I am going to show them a picture of you, and tell them this bro told cool stories
  • tomcornhole
    Options
    Still don't care.
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    My advice is not to get wrapped up in "is this paleo?" Make it work for YOU. When I started paleo, I avoided all grains, but now I eat some rice occasionally. I've done 4 Whole30s and find the hardest part is that sometimes you get tired of cooking all your own food and not having the "convenience" of just grabbing something. To make it easier, I do a lot of cooking on the weekend and basically we eat "leftovers" all week.
  • SnicciFit
    Options
    And also, don't post about paleo in the general forums or you'll get stupid, unnecessary comments. There are paleo groups you can join on here.
  • tropicpalm
    tropicpalm Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on making the decision to eliminate unnecessary processed food from your diet! I recommend you purchase a few good cookbooks to get a good start on tasty dishes so that you don't get bored. One that was recommended to me is I THINK "Forever Paleo" and the woman's name last name I THINK is Fragossa? Sorry, I gave the book to a friend, but I think I am close enough for you to find it on Amazon. The author has children and has many child-friendly recipes.

I was doing Paleo, but recently found out that on top of everything else I need to eliminate, I am sensitive to almonds and eggs! So, I added back in legumes and some gluten free grains. Good luck with your new eating adventure!:happy:
  • DatMurse
    Options
    My advice is not to get wrapped up in "is this paleo?" Make it work for YOU. When I started paleo, I avoided all grains, but now I eat some rice occasionally. I've done 4 Whole30s and find the hardest part is that sometimes you get tired of cooking all your own food and not having the "convenience" of just grabbing something. To make it easier, I do a lot of cooking on the weekend and basically we eat "leftovers" all week.

Then you are no longer on paleo.

That means you are incorporating the basis of why paleo is effective, which is actually the proper thing to do
  • SnicciFit
    Options
    That means you are incorporating the basis of why paleo is effective, which is actually the proper thing to do

What?

I mean that you'll find a hundred different versions of "paleo." Some "experts" say that things like rice are "safe starches." Some say that you should follow the 80/20 rule. Some say you shouldn't. Do what works for you. The principals of paleo are amazing and I follow it as a template, but don't get all stressed out over whether something "is paleo" or not or if I can eat. Thanks to Whole30, I realize that gluten will make me feel like crap for several days. Small amounts of dairy are ok for me, but too much will hurt. I avoid sugar most of the time, but sometimes I eat a candy bar and I don't call it a "cheat meal". It's just me eating a candy bar.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options

What?

I mean that you'll find a hundred different versions of "paleo." Some "experts" say that things like rice are "safe starches." Some say that you should follow the 80/20 rule. Some say you shouldn't. Do what works for you. The principals of paleo are amazing and I follow it as a template, but don't get all stressed out over whether something "is paleo" or not or if I can eat. Thanks to Whole30, I realize that gluten will make me feel like crap for several days. Small amounts of dairy are ok for me, but too much will hurt. I avoid sugar most of the time, but sometimes I eat a candy bar and I don't call it a "cheat meal". It's just me eating a candy bar.

This.

I really cannot stand the paleo zealots, so I can totally understand and do agree with a lot of the comments regarding those folk. I cringe when I enter the paleo group here and see the self-appointed paleo police telling the noobs not to eat fruit. So long as you do not have blood sugar issues or some sort of allergy to a certain fruit, EAT THE FRUIT IN REASONABLE QUANTITIES--IT IS WONDERFUL.

I also don't give a toss about what cavemen ate or didn't. I really wish the whole caveman thing would be put out of its misery.

I agree that eating this way will not take the fat off any faster than eating any other way would, providing you are eating in a caloric deficit.

Regarding some of the misinformation in this thread: paleo/primal does not = low carb. Lots of paleo/primal people will purposely eat low carb, as they find that helpful for various conditions, reasons, whatever. Others just sort of end up low carb naturally, as they are not eating grains, processed foods, etc. And there are others who are not following low carb diets in any way, shape, or form and eat all sorts of carby goodness. My son falls into that group, whilst I have to be mindful of my carbs as I am insulin resistant.

Tubers are not excluded. Rice is not excluded. A number of paleo/primal people eat legumes as well. Dairy products are not off limits--it's up to you. Things that are discouraged: processed foods, refined sugars, most grains. Whole foods, organic grass fed/free range meats are strongly recommended, wild caught fish, organic fruits/veggies, raw dairy if you can tolerate it and can find it where you live, fermented foods, etc. I think someone else covered this stuff already in a previous post.

If paleo/primal is being properly applied, one will find their own way of eating that works best FOR THEM. That is the whole idea behind it--be your own n=1 experiment, find out what is sustainable and healthy for you, and eat that way. The "rules" are meant to be guiding principles, not etched in stone.

Robb Wolf is not a microbiologist. His degree is in biochemistry and he was a research biochemist prior to his success as an author and strength coach.

OP: My suggestion to you and anyone else who thinks eating this way may be beneficial is to start reading. Read books, websites/blogs that belong to the actual authors of books, listen to their podcasts, etc. Listen more closely to the moderate voices and those who are willing to say they were wrong about a previous idea they may have published, or something they posted on their blog. Take the words of fanboys/fangirls with a BIG pinch of natural sea salt.

It's common (and probably obvious at this point) that many of the paleo zealots haven't even bothered to pick up a book and read about this "lifestyle" they're so keen to preach on. :wink:
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options

What?

This.

I really cannot stand the paleo zealots, so I can totally understand and do agree with a lot of the comments regarding those folk. I cringe when I enter the paleo group here and see the self-appointed paleo police telling the noobs not to eat fruit. So long as you do not have blood sugar issues or some sort of allergy to a certain fruit, EAT THE FRUIT IN REASONABLE QUANTITIES--IT IS WONDERFUL.

I also don't give a toss about what cavemen ate or didn't. I really wish the whole caveman thing would be put out of its misery.

I agree that eating this way will not take the fat off any faster than eating any other way would, providing you are eating in a caloric deficit.

Regarding some of the misinformation in this thread: paleo/primal does not = low carb. Lots of paleo/primal people will purposely eat low carb, as they find that helpful for various conditions, reasons, whatever. Others just sort of end up low carb naturally, as they are not eating grains, processed foods, etc. And there are others who are not following low carb diets in any way, shape, or form and eat all sorts of carby goodness. My son falls into that group, whilst I have to be mindful of my carbs as I am insulin resistant.

Tubers are not excluded. Rice is not excluded. A number of paleo/primal people eat legumes as well. Dairy products are not off limits--it's up to you. Things that are discouraged: processed foods, refined sugars, most grains. Whole foods, organic grass fed/free range meats are strongly recommended, wild caught fish, organic fruits/veggies, raw dairy if you can tolerate it and can find it where you live, fermented foods, etc. I think someone else covered this stuff already in a previous post.

If paleo/primal is being properly applied, one will find their own way of eating that works best FOR THEM. That is the whole idea behind it--be your own n=1 experiment, find out what is sustainable and healthy for you, and eat that way. The "rules" are meant to be guiding principles, not etched in stone.

Robb Wolf is not a microbiologist. His degree is in biochemistry and he was a research biochemist prior to his success as an author and strength coach.

OP: My suggestion to you and anyone else who thinks eating this way may be beneficial is to start reading. Read books, websites/blogs that belong to the actual authors of books, listen to their podcasts, etc. Listen more closely to the moderate voices and those who are willing to say they were wrong about a previous idea they may have published, or something they posted on their blog. Take the words of fanboys/fangirls with a BIG pinch of natural sea salt.

It's common (and probably obvious at this point) that many of the paleo zealots haven't even bothered to pick up a book and read about this "lifestyle" they're so keen to preach on. :wink:

BS. I do nothing BUT research health and nutrition. I faced a choice last year: keep being sick, depressed, suicidal, in pain, etc and get Type 2 diabetes OR change WHAT I eat. Yeah, I must be real stupid to decide to prevent diabetes and heal myself with diet... why not just wait until I really had diabetes and deal with the symptoms with meds? Me so stupid.

The basic premise is to eat unprocessed, biologically appropriate foods (yes, ANIMALS). How is that NOT beneficial? The labels of paleo, primal, blah blah, who cares?
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options

What?

This.

BS. I do nothing BUT research health and nutrition. I faced a choice last year: keep being sick, depressed, suicidal, in pain, etc and get Type 2 diabetes OR change WHAT I eat. Yeah, I must be real stupid to decide to prevent diabetes and heal myself with diet... why not just wait until I really had diabetes and deal with the symptoms with meds? Me so stupid.

The basic premise is to eat unprocessed, biologically appropriate foods (yes, ANIMALS). How is that NOT beneficial? The labels of paleo, primal, blah blah, who cares?

I love how you took my post and decided it was all about YOU. :laugh:
  • Quinnstinct
    Quinnstinct Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Which recent studies? I work in medical research and the most recent obesity studies on fructose have been in rats and have adverse effects as a result. It would be interesting to see research proving the contrary.

This is asking DatMurse about this comment:

BTW fructose as a cause of obesity and health problems has been destroyed by recent studies.
    Edited by DatMurse On May 27, 2013 22:08
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    For the life of me I'll never understand the heated debate that Paleo stirs up. Or how any "diet" that suggests eating more real whole foods, and less processed stuff can be considered bad.
    Yes following it to the letter might be a bit tedious and unneccesary for most, but even the biggest supporters of Paleo suggest an 80/20 split.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    For the life of me I'll never understand the heated debate that Paleo stirs up. Or how any "diet" that suggests eating more real whole foods, and less processed stuff can be considered bad.
    Yes following it to the letter might be a bit tedious and unneccesary for most, but even the biggest supporters of Paleo suggest an 80/20 split.
    Ditto. People get heated over "South Beach" as well. When really it just says: eat whole grains and lean meats and limit your sweets and processed foods. The horror.
  • DatMurse
    Options
    Which recent studies? I work in medical research and the most recent obesity studies on fructose have been in rats and have adverse effects as a result. It would be interesting to see research proving the contrary.

This is asking DatMurse about this comment:

BTW fructose as a cause of obesity and health problems has been destroyed by recent studies.
    Edited by DatMurse On May 27, 2013 22:08
    http://evolvinghealthscience.blogspot.com/2012/05/fate-of-fructose-interview-with-dr-john.html
    google the fructose studies.
    you can use pubmed to find the studies.

The "recent" fructose studies were done on rats 30+ years ago by injecting them with 60% energy based off of fructose.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7043185
    that study?