Replies

• Basilin
    Basilin Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Basilin wrote: »
    Well its worked for me. 4 years I've been on myfitnesspal, 4 years of watching my carbs. Lost 160 pounds, And I dont have to kill myself in the gym, I can exercise when I want to and moderately. Im healthy and see processed junk food with no nutritional value can be consumed by some along with a healthy diet, its just cant be the healthy part of your healthy diet. Because our 'diet' is whatever we chose to consume. Some people can handle having junk food in moderation. Others of us who have had a bad relationship with food, mentally cannot handle it, or often times physically can not handle it because of the response our bodies give when consuming that crap. Who will deny You are what you eat, you eat junk, your health will be junk. Maybe not today, or tomorrow, but eventually it will catch up with you.

congratulations..you replaced high calorie foods (carbs) with low calorie foods = calorie deficit…

for the record there is no "crap" food..there is food that we use for energy ..

just because you can't moderate certain foods does not make them "crap" ….it means you have issue with self control...

Uh no, not quite. I ate way over what MFP suggested that I should eat to be calorie deficient to lose weight. For example MFP said I needed to eat 1500 calories, I ate 2200, High Fat diet, and lost weight. Foods that have highly addictive chemicals put in them to make you crave and want them, some people may be more sensitive to these things that others, congratulations if you are not one of those folks. But some of us, will trigger intense cravings and other bad side effects.

so you ate 700 calories over maintenance and lost weight??????????????????

Guessing that the calculated calorie deficit for MFP was not done correctly, or was wrong for him.

agreed ...just trying to show the lunacy of that statement.

Yeah, I was saying that more for her than for you. :stuck_out_tongue:

• LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Anyone remember "Supersize Me"? Morgan Spurlock made that "pseudo-documentary" - that supposedly proved fast food makes people fat. He was soon debunked though. Another producer lost weight eating at that same McDonalds! (12 pounds in a month) People continue to believe that eating "junk" automatically makes you obese.
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Alisha_countrymama Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I'm just saying for those of you reading this, who are struggling, like I did. Who are restricting calories, (eating low fat and or processed crap) and exercising, you think you are eating "healthy" but still having health issues, or not losing weight. There are other options. [None of which are valid obviously according to all you fine folks, that there could be possibly, other reasons why people are over weight, besides that we just eat to much and don't move around enough.] The body is a complex thing. And there is no one size fits all diet.
  • s_pekz
    s_pekz Posts: 340 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I'm just saying for those of you reading this, who are struggling, like I did. Who are restricting calories, (eating low fat and or processed crap) and exercising, you think you are eating "healthy" but still having health issues, or not losing weight. There are other options. [None of which are valid obviously according to all you fine folks, that there could be possibly, other reasons why people are over weight, besides that we just eat to much and don't move around enough.] The body is a complex thing. And there is no one size fits all diet.

false. baring metabolic disorders physics is physics. in fact physics is physics with metabolic disorders just the impact is different. How ever is easiest for a person to intake fewer calories than burning is the best way to do it. If that means cutting carbs to get a deficit fine. But don't think not eating carbs is why you are losing weight. You lose weight because you have a deficit.
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Alisha_countrymama Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    LeonCX wrote: »
    Anyone remember "Supersize Me"? Morgan Spurlock made that "pseudo-documentary" - that supposedly proved fast food makes people fat. He was soon debunked though. Another producer lost weight eating at that same McDonalds! People continue to believe that eating "junk" automatically makes you obese.

He also talked about the cravings he got, you think that eating Mc Donalds every day for that long you would be sick of it, but no he craved it, he also talked about dreaming about the food, waking up with is mouth watering. What is IN the food???????? What makes people want and crave it, have to have it!!!

Is there no correlation between the obesity epidemic, and what we eat??? What is in the food?? Take what was eaten 75-100 years when you didn't ever hear about children with type 2 diabetes, cancer was rare, and most people where not overweight or obese. People ate REAL food from their gardens and farms not processed junk food from the supermarket.
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I must be doing it wrong then OP. I'm nearly 50 lbs down from where I started and my diet varies from the healthy to the moderated treats. I don't kill myself at the gym but I like to walk. I would love to see your diary, I want to see how it shows you overate and still lost a ton of weight,
  • s_pekz
    s_pekz Posts: 340 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Anyone remember "Supersize Me"? Morgan Spurlock made that "pseudo-documentary" - that supposedly proved fast food makes people fat. He was soon debunked though. Another producer lost weight eating at that same McDonalds! People continue to believe that eating "junk" automatically makes you obese.

He also talked about the cravings he got, you think that eating Mc Donalds every day for that long you would be sick of it, but no he craved it, he also talked about dreaming about the food, waking up with is mouth watering. What is IN the food???????? What makes people want and crave it, have to have it!!!

Is there no correlation between the obesity epidemic, and what we eat??? What is in the food?? Take what was eaten 75-100 years when you didn't ever hear about children with type 2 diabetes, cancer was rare, and most people where not overweight or obese. People ate REAL food from their gardens and farms not processed junk food from the supermarket.

Cancer wasnt rare we just didn't know it was killing people because we couldn't detect it like we can now. Children also moved alot more due to no video games etc. Also 100 years ago there was a world war and rationing so I don't think thats the best time period to pick...

People ate food from grocery stores. I promise you.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options

There is a direct correlation between people overeating and continuing to overeat because they are used to overeating, yes. That's why people are obese. They eat too much, have no idea how much and continue to do it because they are ignorant. You could lose weight eating 1500 calories of McDonalds a day, but you would have to do the research to figure out what foods you could fit into that calorie allotment.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Well its worked for me. 4 years I've been on myfitnesspal, 4 years of watching my carbs. Lost 160 pounds, And I dont have to kill myself in the gym, I can exercise when I want to and moderately. Im healthy and see processed junk food with no nutritional value can be consumed by some along with a healthy diet, its just cant be the healthy part of your healthy diet. Because our 'diet' is whatever we chose to consume. Some people can handle having junk food in moderation. Others of us who have had a bad relationship with food, mentally cannot handle it, or often times physically can not handle it because of the response our bodies give when consuming that crap. Who will deny You are what you eat, you eat junk, your health will be junk. Maybe not today, or tomorrow, but eventually it will catch up with you.

congratulations..you replaced high calorie foods (carbs) with low calorie foods = calorie deficit…

just because you can't moderate certain foods does not make them "crap" ….it means you have issue with self control...

Uh no, not quite. I ate way over what MFP suggested that I should eat to be calorie deficient to lose weight. For example MFP said I needed to eat 1500 calories, I ate 2200, High Fat diet, and lost weight. Foods that have highly addictive chemicals put in them to make you crave and want them, some people may be more sensitive to these things that others, congratulations if you are not one of those folks. But some of us, will trigger intense cravings and other bad side effects.

Did you set MFP for a 2 lb loss per week, which would put you at a 1000 calorie deficit, meaning that when you ate 700 calories over that, you were still in a deficit of 300 calories?

And since MFP uses the NEAT method and expects you to eat your exercise calories back (giving you a greater calorie goal), and you didn't factor that calorie burn into your 2200 calories per day?

Let's play with the math, just for fun:

MFP: 1500 calories + 350 exercise calories (just as an example) = 1850 calories

What you did: 2200 - 350 exercise calories = 1850 calories

Congratulations on using the TDEE method for your weight loss.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    levitateme wrote: »

There is a direct correlation between people overeating and continuing to overeat because they are used to overeating, yes. That's why people are obese. They eat too much, have no idea how much and continue to do it because they are ignorant. You could lose weight eating 1500 calories of McDonalds a day, but you would have to do the research to figure out what foods you could fit into that calorie allotment.

This.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Uh no, not quite. I ate way over what MFP suggested that I should eat to be calorie deficient to lose weight. For example MFP said I needed to eat 1500 calories, I ate 2200, High Fat diet, and lost weight.

You lost weight because regardless of the estimation MFP gave you, you were in a state of negative energy balance... nothing more.
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    @NextPage
    What is hard to believe about the concept of eating less and exercising more makes you healthier?

If someone is overweight, are they healthy on average? Nope.
    If they eat less, will they lose weight on average? Yes.
    If they move more, will that aid in losing weight and building a better body on average? Yes.

So, could you explain your position as to how:
    NextPage wrote:
    I'm sorry but it hard to take this seriously "eat less exercise more, makes you healthy" garbage. Is this trolling?
    ... you believe that.

Maybe my sentence structure was wrong but I was saying I couldn't take the OP's statement seriously - I was quoting her not agreeing with her. I thought her comment was so "out there" that she must be a troll. I totally agree with your statements above. The silly book title in my last sentence is also sarcasm. For the record, I'm not a crazy person hoping to be able to waste my money on such a book! Hope this clear things up - peace.
  • Basilin
    Basilin Posts: 360 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

MFP calculates that I should eat 1300 calories to lose weight, 1600 to maintain, but I regularly eat 1100 and that is enough for me to feel satisfied. MFP is just a basic guideline. I noticed over the last two months:

1) When I ate 50% or more carbs (even complex carbs) I got hungrier (but abstained), bloated, and also didn't lose any weight over that time.
    2) When I reduced fat to 15 - 20%, I felt sick and hungry.
    3) When I ate 30 - 40% fat, and 30 - 40% carbs, I immediately starting losing weight, eating the same calories, not getting bloated as much, and I'm not hungry between meals.

So, yes, I do believe it's not just the calories, but the type of calories and type of food that is also important (from my personal experience). Perhaps the type of calories and how they are balanced are different for everyone, but "less calories in than out" is only scratching the surface.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying there is a one size fits all diet. I'm saying that for some, who try to just eat what they want, but stay within their calorie range, and continue to have health issues, problems with diabetes, food addiction, or just can't lose weight. There is other options out there. Eat less and Exercise more has been pushed for years, along with the Crazy Food Pyramid that has NEVER been tested to see if it really makes people healthier to follow it. People are terrified of fat, and think that restricting calories is the only option to lose weight. And the obesity rate has continued to climb. Cancer, and heart disease continue climb, and we have a new generation of people that are metabolically sick.
    Eat less and exercise more doesn't work for everyone, just like my choice of how to eat, doesn't work for everyone either. I'm just saying there are other options for those who want to see what other options are available to lose weight.

so your saying I can eat 10,000 calories a day and I wont gain a pound...?????

Unless you are living in a different dimension then the rest of us, then the same basic laws of math and physics apply....

CICO works for everyone, period.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying there is a one size fits all diet. I'm saying that for some, who try to just eat what they want, but stay within their calorie range, and continue to have health issues, problems with diabetes, food addiction, or just can't lose weight. There is other options out there. Eat less and Exercise more has been pushed for years, along with the Crazy Food Pyramid that has NEVER been tested to see if it really makes people healthier to follow it. People are terrified of fat, and think that restricting calories is the only option to lose weight. And the obesity rate has continued to climb. Cancer, and heart disease continue climb, and we have a new generation of people that are metabolically sick.
    Eat less and exercise more doesn't work for everyone, just like my choice of how to eat, doesn't work for everyone either. I'm just saying there are other options for those who want to see what other options are available to lose weight.
    "I love it when people talk about things involving basic physiology that 'don't work for me.' Yea... Sure. Science had a big party and didn't invite you."

- Layne Norton

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

MFP calculates that I should eat 1300 calories to lose weight, 1600 to maintain, but I regularly eat 1100 and that is enough for me to feel satisfied. MFP is just a basic guideline. I noticed over the last two months:

1) When I ate 50% or more carbs (even complex carbs) I got hungrier (but abstained), bloated, and also didn't lose any weight over that time.
    3) When I ate 30 - 40% fat, and 30 - 40% carbs, I immediately starting losing weight, eating the same calories, not getting bloated as much, and I'm not hungry between meals.

So, yes, I do believe it's not just the calories, but the type of calories and type of food that is also important (from my personal experience). Perhaps the type of calories and how they are balanced are different for everyone, but "less calories in than out" is only scratching the surface.

so you are the one person that math and physics do not apply to...?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Well, the OP as well apparently.

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »

Did you set MFP for a 2 lb loss per week, which would put you at a 1000 calorie deficit, meaning that when you ate 700 calories over that, you were still in a deficit of 300 calories?

And since MFP uses the NEAT method and expects you to eat your exercise calories back (giving you a greater calorie goal), and you didn't factor that calorie burn into your 2200 calories per day?

Let's play with the math, just for fun:

MFP: 1500 calories + 350 exercise calories (just as an example) = 1850 calories

What you did: 2200 - 350 exercise calories = 1850 calories

Congratulations on using the TDEE method for your weight loss.

tumblr_ml7c40V57q1rs4qpso1_500.gif
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

tumblr_mefuoovcqw1ra58n6.gif
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options

I noticed over the last two months:

The funny thing about weight loss is that it isn't linear, it isn't immediately cause and effect. If you did X and then immediately lost weight, your weight loss was not due to X. It was due to how you ate, on average, over the last week or so. Perhaps you became slightly more active. Perhaps you under-weighed your dinner for 6 nights. Perhaps you had been holding on to a ton of water weight from drinking a few days prior/eating high sodium foods that your "immediate" loss was merely correlated with your macronutrients changing. Perhaps the higher carb days were also higher sodium, so that when you dropped to 30-40% carb, you were also dropping a lot of sodium. The same calories in a different macronutrient division will not cause weight loss.