Any raw milk drinkers out there? Which would you prefer...

13»

Replies

• conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Long time advocate of raw milk. If you have time and are interested, search out the history of milk pasteurization in the US. It's quite interesting.

Also of historical interest: You are more likely to die from pasturized milk than raw milk.
    http://realrawmilkfacts.com/PDFs/pasteurized-dairy-outbreak-table.pdf

The largest recorded outbreak of food borne illness caused by milk is pasteurize milk in 1985....20, 000 confirmed cases of salmonella--over 200,000 people ill, 10 people died.
    That is just one outbreak, in one month of one year. That same year 47 people died from eating pasteurized queso fresco.....and the list goes on.

Of the 2 deaths from raw milk? Both deaths are from raw cheese...associated with raw milk. What is interesting to me is that you won't find statistics on the CDC website warning of the dangers of pasturized milk--but of raw milk. Interesting to say the least!
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Posters are hung up on dearths from raw milk. Usually only the very young or old or those with compromised immune systems are at highest risk of death from any pathogen. Let's look at illnesses. I'm not interested in getting ill from something which was preventable since ages ago. The problem doesn't stem from users who know the source farmer or buy a share in their own animal, it's the fact that milk needs to be mass produced therefore certain regulations like pasteurization need to be in place.
    I'm pretty sure the regulations for hormone content are more stringent in Canada as well so I can't speak to US milk production.
  • FarmingCozy
    FarmingCozy Posts: 46 Member
    Wow so much hate on raw milk, I LOVE my milk shares.