Options
    eepeter wrote: »
    crisb2 wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    OP, looking at your diary, I would highly suggest going for a moderate deficit (around 1800 calories daily, and increase your protein. You may want to strive for 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fats.

The hardest thing I had was to cut out bread. I just had to stop buying it, it was the only way. And likewise I switched down to wholemeal pasta/rice.
    So you swapped out a carb for a carb?

No. I cut out bread and will only buy it for special meals now. As for my current intake of wholemeal pasta/rice my option for that now is wholemeal. I have not increased my intake of rice/paste instead of bread.

rice is a carb...so is pasta

True. I guess I have not succeeded on the lowering carb front then.

Nope. Some whole wheat pastas even have more carbs than the regular, and the "more" fiber doesn't really put a dent in the net carb difference. And I also think pasta has more carbs than bread, per 100g just generally speaking. That's twice as bad considering you can eat two slices of bread, but it's unlikely you'll eat a palmful of pasta.

What would you recommend doing, given my diary entries too?

I don't really know, it's different for everyone, I was just pointing out your carb intake may be more than you think. On that end, look more carefully at serving sizes/portions and the ACTUAL content of protein/carb/fats. In everything you eat. Because 100g of bread is not 100g of carbs, just as 100g of pasta is not 100g of carbs.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Personally, i still think you need less carbs because your protein is very low most days.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Again, its only been 7 days, have patience. You do not have to give up anything, you just need to be in a deficit. Make sure you're weighing everything and the rest will follow.
  • eepeter
    eepeter Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Personally, i still think you need less carbs because your protein is very low most days.

Thanks. I do have concerns about not having enough protein.
  • eepeter
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Again, its only been 7 days, have patience. You do not have to give up anything, you just need to be in a deficit. Make sure you're weighing everything and the rest will follow.

Thanks - Not planning of giving up anything :smiley:

I have come a lot further than I ever expected I would, and that itself is motivation.
  • evarga12
    evarga12 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    This is what I am currently doing - Anyone can chime in if they don't agree with my thoughts B) or if they have any other suggestions other then Deficit = weight loss bla bla blaa.

Do you know how many calories you need to maintain your current weight? Not the estimate but the actual amount? If not you should try finding them. You can do this by gradually upping your calories 50-100 every other day to see how your body reacts - moving towards those esimated BMI or TDEE #s. The scale might rise but with time it should even out. Once you find the actual # you can then cut calories back and hopefully help you start loosing some poundage.

In theory this should work and below is what I am currently doing.

I am still working on finding my maintnence. I started at 1200-1400ish @170lbs (Not loosing weight & my BMI & TDEE are similar to yours) and now ( few weeks later) eating at 1800-1900 cals a day and the scale has remained constant between 168-170lbs (morning weight). I am trying to reach my proper maintnence @ around 2200 or more calories without gaining fat. I will be doing this through the next two weeks or so and then will be doing a 20% or 30% drop in calories bringing back around 1700ish cals a day. I am thinking we have to get our body used to more calories and then pulling back on the calories once our body starts liking them.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    evarga12 wrote: »
    This is what I am currently doing - Anyone can chime in if they don't agree with my thoughts B) or if they have any other suggestions other then Deficit = weight loss bla bla blaa.

Do you know how many calories you need to maintain your current weight? Not the estimate but the actual amount? If not you should try finding them. You can do this by gradually upping your calories 50-100 every other day to see how your body reacts - moving towards those esimated BMI or TDEE #s. The scale might rise but with time it should even out. Once you find the actual # you can then cut calories back and hopefully help you start loosing some poundage.

In theory this should work and below is what I am currently doing.

I am still working on finding my maintnence. I started at 1200-1400ish @170lbs (Not loosing weight & my BMI & TDEE are similar to yours) and now ( few weeks later) eating at 1800-1900 cals a day and the scale has remained constant between 168-170lbs (morning weight). I am trying to reach my proper maintnence @ around 2200 or more calories without gaining fat. I will be doing this through the next two weeks or so and then will be doing a 20% or 30% drop in calories bringing back around 1700ish cals a day. I am thinking we have to get our body used to more calories and then pulling back on the calories once our body starts liking them.

The biggest problem with your approach is you don't allow your body to adjust. Calorie levels should be sustain for a 3 or 4 weeks a minimum. This will help eliminate water weight fluctuations due to carb level, sodium intake, etc...

Generally, one of the better approaches is to use a TDEE calculator, create a deficit and track for 3-4 weeks while using a food scale and logging daily and adjust as appropriate.

For me, I know I maintain at 3000 calories. I generally eat 2350-2600 calories, and when I log consistently, I lose 1 lb a week.
  • eepeter
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    OP, looking at your diary, I would highly suggest going for a moderate deficit (around 1800 calories daily, and increase your protein. You may want to strive for 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fats.

The hardest thing I had was to cut out bread. I just had to stop buying it, it was the only way. And likewise I switched down to wholemeal pasta/rice.
    So you swapped out a carb for a carb?

No. I cut out bread and will only buy it for special meals now. As for my current intake of wholemeal pasta/rice my option for that now is wholemeal. I have not increased my intake of rice/paste instead of bread.

rice is a carb...so is pasta

True. I guess I have not succeeded on the lowering carb front then.

Nope. Some whole wheat pastas even have more carbs than the regular, and the "more" fiber doesn't really put a dent in the net carb difference. And I also think pasta has more carbs than bread, per 100g just generally speaking. That's twice as bad considering you can eat two slices of bread, but it's unlikely you'll eat a palmful of pasta.

What would you recommend doing, given my diary entries too?

I don't really know, it's different for everyone, I was just pointing out your carb intake may be more than you think. On that end, look more carefully at serving sizes/portions and the ACTUAL content of protein/carb/fats. In everything you eat. Because 100g of bread is not 100g of carbs, just as 100g of pasta is not 100g of carbs.

I have been doing this: Measuring food weight and content to match. All my entries, barring a couple of lazy entries (which you have found) contain the correct information. I am not just watching calories alone. I am watching: protein, salt, fat and calories.
  • eepeter
    Options
    One of my bad habbits, but it happened. Weighed in at 90.4kg today. I think the water weight came off. But I am awaiting my accurate scales weigh in on Sunday, in fact I am eager for it :smile: I have put in a lot of effort this week.

Starting to think I need new shirts as my current ones are starting to kite me a bit and gone down another two notches on my belt comfortably over the last couple of weeks. I admittedly do have a small belt ready. Leaving a large belt to a medium belt, was a good feeling.

How long should you stay at a certain weight until you recommend new clothes? Or should you hold off as long as possible if you have a goal in mind to reach?