Started Gluten free diet and all the bread are soooooooo fat

Options
1235»

Replies

• violet791
    violet791 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    The Celiac Association recognizes gluten sensitivity as real. When you have Celiac, your body can have intestine damage and/or produce antibodies to gluten. Gluten Sensitivity is recognized as having symptoms when eating gluten, without the damage or antibodies being present.

Aside from gluten sensitivity, my understanding (from talking to many doctors in trying to figure out what's wrong with my daughter) is sometimes people do have Celiac but aren't producing the levels of antibodies yet that would show up on a blood test. You can be diagnosed at any age with this disease. The medical community acknowledges that testing for celiac is not adequate, but they're basically working with what they have.

The symptoms are so wide and varied, it's hard to diagnose everyone who has it. Many people are undiagnosed. And if you feel better with a change in diet, so be it. We all make dietary choices - I won't judge you for giving up meat, being lactose-free, eating low-carb, eating low-fat, whatever. Your diet is your personal choice.

If you feel better without eating gluten, don't eat it. Simple as that.
  • catb58
    catb58 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    __drmerc__ wrote: »
    s_pekz wrote: »
    So you were diagnosed with Celiac disease? That's the only reason to go gluten-free.

What she says
    I agree

Meh, more people have a gluten sensitivity than we know. With all the pasteurizing and sterilization of foods, our bodies have less healthy bacteria in them, coupled with enriching of wheat flours. I don't have celiacs and I'm gluten free and I can tell you that when I consume gluten (who doesn't need a slice of pizza every now and then) I can feel it. Mood changes, extreme fatigue, joint pain.

Strong logic. Pizza gives you joint pain?

Yep.

Six common symptoms of gluten intolerance

(1) Obviously, there are gastrointestinal (GI), stomach, and digestive problems. These can include one or some of the following: Gas, bloating, queasiness, abdominal cramping, constipation, diarrhea, or an alternating combination of both - IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome).

(2) Headaches and/or migraines.

(3) Fibromyalgia is not a disease, it's a syndrome. Getting a medical diagnosis is bogus. You don't need to be told you have muscular and connecting tissue aches and pains. That's what fibromyalgia means. Fibro= Connective Tissue; Myo= Muscle; Algia= Pain. Thus fibromyalgia.

(4) Emotional issues involving chronic irritability and sudden, irrational mood shifts.

(5) Neurological issues, including dizziness, difficulty balancing, and peripheral neuropathy affecting nerves outside the central nervous system and resulting in pain, weakness, tingling or numbness in the extremities.

(6) Fatigue, whether chronic or almost after every meal. Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is, like fibromyalgia, a syndrome, not a disease. If that's what you're diagnosed with, it means your doctor can't locate the cause of your fatigue.

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/038170_gluten_sensitivity_symptoms_intolerance.html##ixzz3Ixxc3R3I

Natural news is a solid source of information

Have you considered your symptoms might be psychosomatic

Before I knew that celiac disease existed, I had all those symptoms. I was diagnosed with several things, IBS, spastic colon, lactose intolerance (I suppose this doesn't exist either?). I also had trouble with dandruff and itchy skin. After much testing (scopes and bloodwork), it was discovered that I have an allergy/sensitivity to gluten, but not celiac disease. Does this allergy/sensitivity/exist? My doctor in Virginia believes it does. I discovered shortly after my diagnosis that my aunt has the same allergy/sensitivity, but she was diagnosed in Minnesota. While she was in Arizona, she got gluten accidently and discovered that her symptoms have progressed to giant hives. Not only do both of us get ill from eating wheat, rye and barley but we break out from using skin care products that have gluten in them (think wheat germ oil). This includes shampoo, lotions, bath products. I'm gluten free and have none of those symptoms anymore unless I somehow get gluten, knowingly or unknowingly.

As for the other things I'd been diagnosed with? No problem now. I can drink milk by the gallon with no problem.

Anyone can look online and find a study done that will "prove their point." Too many studies on the same medical issue are done by the same organization on different days by different experts with different answers. Medicine doesn't seem to be an exact science. There's too many variables with many diseases/syndromes/etc. for there to be one simple answer for each.

Until it can be proven that gluten sensitivities don't exist, the naysayers who are lucky enough not to have these issues sound like idiots telling people who are genuinely ill that it's all in their heads. My symptoms didn't start until I was in my 30's...so there's still time for you to be able to eat your words, along with your gluten.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    I could have copied the same list from WebMD if you prefer?
    So you were diagnosed with Celiac disease? That's the only reason to go gluten-free.

What she says
    I agree

Meh, more people have a gluten sensitivity than we know. With all the pasteurizing and sterilization of foods, our bodies have less healthy bacteria in them, coupled with enriching of wheat flours. I don't have celiacs and I'm gluten free and I can tell you that when I consume gluten (who doesn't need a slice of pizza every now and then) I can feel it. Mood changes, extreme fatigue, joint pain.

not to mention, eating pizza, you are not 'gluten-free', you are 'gluten-sometimes'.

I'm sorry, once every 3-4 months, I'll eat some pizza.

So 'gluten-occasionally'.

Got us a gluten snob on our hands, watch out peoples, she's the real deal Celiac Certified :)

I'm hardly a gluten snob. I'm just calling you out for saying you're gluten-free when you said yourself that you eat gluten on occasion. Either you do or you don't. True vegans don't eat a burger on occasion, either.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    ajay355 wrote: »
    I am GF ut dont eat GF breads because they taste like crap - for lunches i stick to wraps or cold pastas and breakfasts I stick to cereal :)

This post confuses me... All those things would have gluten.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    ajay355 wrote: »
    I am GF ut dont eat GF breads because they taste like crap - for lunches i stick to wraps or cold pastas and breakfasts I stick to cereal :)

This post confuses me... All those things would have gluten.

I thought the same thing. Unless OP is buying GF wraps, pastas, and cereals. although GF wraps also taste like crap.
  • Jacqadactle
    Jacqadactle Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Try Toufayan gluten free wraps, they're awesome! I think they're about 130 calories (maybe?) each and they're pretty big, don't break apart like other gluten free wraps.

Also, please friend me if you're gluten free as I always like to share ideas! :)
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    How would you like it if breads started calling you fat, huh?
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options

What she says
    I agree

not to mention, eating pizza, you are not 'gluten-free', you are 'gluten-sometimes'.

Got us a gluten snob on our hands, watch out peoples, she's the real deal Celiac Certified :)

I'm hardly a gluten snob. I'm just calling you out for saying you're gluten-free when you said yourself that you eat gluten on occasion. Either you do or you don't. True vegans don't eat a burger on occasion, either.

ok, 3 meals a day, 365 days a year, and I have gluten maybe 3 times a year.

I'm 99.998% percent gluten free. That'd be accurate enough to make me the father if it were a paternity test, why not accurate enough to be gluten free?
  • AmigaMaria001
    AmigaMaria001 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I love bread/carbs - I make homemade breads every single week and eat them. I've lost 60lbs by eating at a deficit only. Unless you have to drop carbs for medical reasons, then don't - no reason to.
  • Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Gluten is nothing more than protein.
  • mccindy72
    Options

What she says
    I agree

ok, 3 meals a day, 365 days a year, and I have gluten maybe 3 times a year.

I'm 99.998% percent gluten free. That'd be accurate enough to make me the father if it were a paternity test, why not accurate enough to be gluten free?

But not accurate enough to make you NOT the father.... see the difference? Free meaning none..... You can't say you're gluten free if you occasionally eat it.
  • violet791
    violet791 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Aesop101 wrote: »
    Gluten is nothing more than protein.

Lactose is nothing more than sugar, nuts are simply tree seeds ...

Everyone tolerates things differently.