Who *actually* measures and weighs everything?

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything I cook myself except, sometimes, greens, where I might estimate the number of cups. I do this because I find it easier to use the scale as a step in cooking than to estimate or mess with cups. I basically weigh when I'm chopping.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I do. Hard enough to stick to my deficit lately without having to guess. Obviously only at home though, but I eat there most of the time.
  • mram3582
    mram3582 Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    I do, and I add my recipes to the recipe and meal sections for quick reference.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    How many of you *actually* measure and weigh everything you eat?

I'm just curious. I haven't really weighed anything properly for a long time. I spend many years working in restaurants and bakeries so I became really good at judging weight by sight. Also, a fitness/weight loss program I took part in for 36 weeks provided me with many recipes that are set at 300-350 calories per serve (of course, I still weight and measure the ingredients for the recipes), although over time my serving sizes have relaxed, which I think could be a reason why I've stopped losing weight.
    I do not.
    Starting out I just kept guessing through trial and error which got me close enough.
    These days I can look at something and estimate calories and macro breakdown and weigh it against exercise calorie burn.
    Practice makes perfect...or at least good enough for government work.
    :)
    c1gzjviwobp8.png

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I do...When I'm home. I DON'T have a digital scale though, I'll admit.
  • merisaOct3
    merisaOct3 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    AOdell79 wrote: »
    Well I went from a size 10 to a size 2 so it seems to be working ok.

+1 :D

I get where the comment about weighing was coming from. I love my scale and it's especially helpful for protein (meat) sizes. But, literally counting out crackers or nuts is still portion control, even if you're slightly off with exact calories.
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I weigh about 90% of my foods. I usually don't weigh condiments, after a few months learned that I almost always use less than the listed serving size, and the ones I do go over on I'm still under two servings, but no matter what I always round up when I log. Veggies pre-sliced bread and single serve packaged foods I don't usually weigh (unless I can see that the size is off from the norm). I plan on continueing to weigh for at least a few months into maintenance, until I get used eating at that level of calories
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    merisaOct3 wrote: »
    AOdell79 wrote: »
    Well I went from a size 10 to a size 2 so it seems to be working ok.

+1 :D

I get where the comment about weighing was coming from. I love my scale and it's especially helpful for protein (meat) sizes. But, literally counting out crackers or nuts is still portion control, even if you're slightly off with exact calories.

This. I'm going to weigh meat. I will measure liquids. But I'm not going to weigh my 100 calorie pack of almonds lol. If I'm a couple calories off, I'll live. I figure we'll all off a little anyway because our exercise calories burned are just estimates anyway.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Also worth noting that by law, the packaging information can be off by a certain percentage too. I measure and weigh for consistency over time more than for absolute accuracy.
  • Daniloveshockey94
    Daniloveshockey94 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    i do!! not everything but i do with a lotta things! it keeps me going
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    As much as I can
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    If it's a meal I'm having from home, I do. I was giving myself a lot less food than I should have when I was just estimating.
  • BreatheFye
    BreatheFye Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I do. Most everything. I weigh my meats before i split them up and freeze them. I weigh my potatoes before I cook them (most of the time I end up cutting them). I measure out my rice and noodles after they're cooked. It's helped me tremendously.
  • lsgibbs83
    lsgibbs83 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I weigh or measure nearly everything!
  • FlatWet
    FlatWet Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I don't have a scale, so I measure things in cups when I am cooking at home.
    When I eat out, I ballpark. I always try to round up instead of down though.

To be honest, I don't stress it that much. While I understand that I might be more or less accurate, I am more concerned about overall downward weight trends then hitting my calorie numbers every day.
  • FlatWet
    FlatWet Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    (I also do not eat that many things that are high fat / carb though)
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I do. Not EVERYTHING but most things. Like, I don't weigh bananas, I just bloody well refuse to do it. Or apples. I just can't. But most everything else.
  • VictoriaS57
    VictoriaS57 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm only two weeks in, but I weigh and measure everything. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one weighing soup ingredients and portioning it all out, too. :smile:
  • xX_PhoenixRising_Xx
    Options
    I do for almost everything. And that's with a 625 day logging streak and a weight loss of over 150lbs. I can eyeball quite accurately, and I will guesstimate if I'm out and know I'm fine. But if I'm at home it only takes a few seconds so why not? I weigh ingredients for recipes and I'm careful with portioning out too.
  • willdb76
    Options
    I don't I'm afraid. I do work out portion sizes from the overall size of the food package e.g. 500g of rice divide by five equals one portion of 100g. I have set my calorie goals on the low side to err on the side of caution, and deliberarely underestimate calories burned through exercise, if I log them at all.