Who *actually* measures and weighs everything?

Options

Replies

• Fruitylicious03
    Options
    I weigh everything...once a week. Because I eat the same breakfast and dinner weekly, weighing the recipe ingredients once is sufficient. With lunches I also rarely weigh because I've been logging 2.5years and maintained my previous weight that long. So I'm good with eyeballing lunch. Snacks are not a problem. Because I don't snack. ;)
  • mhollencamp102012
    mhollencamp102012 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    if i cant scan the barcode into MFP i weigh it, i've noticed though that some things I do scan, scan the calorie count different.....such as something on the package says 170 calories per serving but when i scan it it says 160 calories, i always change it in mfp to what the package says just to be safe.

I cant afford to be off a few calories, i know it sounds anal, but i have a long way to go, and i don't want to screw it up
  • pinkiezoom
    pinkiezoom Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    yup pretty much everything gets weighed.
  • brittanyoneill37
    brittanyoneill37 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I do. Not EVERYTHING but most things. Like, I don't weigh bananas, I just bloody well refuse to do it. Or apples. I just can't. But most everything else.
    I never used to weigh bananas either and assumed they were all around 150g I bought a banana today and it was 212g so I was off 62g and it does make quite a big difference if you're trying to lose weight
  • ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    As long as I'm eating at home, I will weigh as much food as I can. I'm trying to up my calorie intake to gain weight gradually, and ever since I got a food scale, I've been so shocked by how much I've been overestimating calories of certain foods. As someone who's been at the far end of both spectrums of the BMI, I understand just how important every calorie is. Since I've got a perfectly working scale, I might as well utilise the heck out of it. Now that I think about it, I never weighed my food a single time when I was overweight. Ironic, really.
  • bebdinosaur
    bebdinosaur Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I recently started weighing everything I make at home, which is where most of my food intake comes from. Found out I could've been eating more cheese this entire time!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I don't. But I'm pretty good at estimating and I test myself now and then. And I will weigh high calorie density items on days/plans where it's important to get it pretty close to right. Like today I'm doing 500 calories on IF and I'll weigh my chicken serving, most likely.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Me, I measure or weigh depending on what the food type is. Meat, weigh. Yogurt, measure. If I do not do this then I end up gaining weight.
  • bridgetcrusan
    bridgetcrusan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do
  • jessiruthica
    jessiruthica Posts: 412 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I confess that I don't at all. I think I have a tendency to over-estimate, but that's what everyone says :smile: Because I have so much to lose, and I'm exercising so much more than I did before starting this journey, I'm not to concerned about the over/under. When I get closer to goal weight, I imagine I'll have to tighten up my diary to include actually weighting and measuring to get there.

(Edited because of fat fingers)
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I do at home and work. On the rare occasion that I eat out, I don't carry a scale, but I overestimate to cover it.
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I weigh a lot of stuff. But not everything. E.g. sliced bread as someone said above I don't normally weigh it. If something has the weight on the container I don't usually weigh it. If I have a 500g pot of yoghurt over 3 days, I just log 1/3rd of the 500g per day
  • hrtunstall
    hrtunstall Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I do. It is just part of eating with awareness. I can tell I am being to recognize portion size by sight on some things, but I still weigh & measure. I also use the recipe builder a lot.
  • Myrmilt
    Myrmilt Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I am weird about the things I do weigh and the things I don't. If it's something I feel will be high calorie, I will weigh it, or things out of open containers - yogurt, cottage cheese, regular cheese, some meats. I do weigh any type of crackers, chips, or snack foods - that is the one area I tend to pretty strict on. I feel like I can overeat those without even realizing it. I will occasionally weigh fruits and vegetables, fruits more often the vegetables.

On days I do excessive exercise, hiking for 8 or 9 hours, I don't get too exact on entry for the food consumed on the hike. I also don't log the hike, I let the fitbit think it's regular walking even though I tend to carry about 45 lbs.

If its a recipe I use regularly, I will weight it once. My morning shake is a good example - I don't weigh the stuff if in it every morning. I eye ball it and I use ingredients I have in the house. It should have a tomato in it, but I am out. Or the other day I was out of avocados so I used some yogurt. Frozen berries are always in it, but it could be any variety of berries depending on my mood. It should be about 400 calories for the shake. Somedays I am sure it is more, and somedays it is probably less.

• libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    If I am home, I will definitely weigh everything. I wing it if I'm not home.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Not me, never did I just over estimated calories consumed.

29509743.png
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    How many of you *actually* measure and weigh everything you eat?

I'm just curious. I haven't really weighed anything properly for a long time. I spend many years working in restaurants and bakeries so I became really good at judging weight by sight. Also, a fitness/weight loss program I took part in for 36 weeks provided me with many recipes that are set at 300-350 calories per serve (of course, I still weight and measure the ingredients for the recipes), although over time my serving sizes have relaxed, which I think could be a reason why I've stopped losing weight.

I am VERY good at eyeballing. But I am also capable of fooling myself. So, like you, I go back to strict measuring often as a reality check.

I got a food scale recently, though, and have been amused at the things I am off on. Meat, I eyeball pretty well. Same with veggies.

FRUIT? The weight per fruit can vary quite a bit. Got a shock at a 300-odd gram apple this morning. I still ate and logged it, but accuracy is everything, innit?
  • vamaena
    vamaena Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I do for most foods. If I'm out with friends or have them over for dinner I won't but if I'm prepping food for work or dinner then yes, I do.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    E.g. sliced bread as someone said above I don't normally weigh it.

I never used to weigh sliced bread. But then I realized that the whole grain bread I like to buy from my bakery puts a standard slice at 55g. When I weigh 2 slices for a sandwich, I typically come in around 70-80g for both, or 35-40g each. That makes a huge difference in calories and carbs. So now I weigh bread every time I make a sandwich, since the slices can vary so much.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    I weigh pretty much everything I eat. The only things I don't are things that are pretty consistent like Yogurt in single serving cups, some frozen meals, & some candies that are usually pretty consistent with their weight size.