Who *actually* measures and weighs everything?

Options

Replies

• sunman00
    sunman00 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    every one of my 52lb's lost were the result of measuring & weighing everything, crucial in my view; been maintaining for 6 months now & no loner need to, you kind of know what's going in
  • missjones513
    missjones513 Posts: 345 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I mainly weigh snacks, meats, pasta and sometimes canned foods, especially if I plan on draining the juice from whatever.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I just ballpark it when I'm not alone. I don't like drawing attention to the fact that I'm counting calories. People seem to like to comment on it, and I'd rather they didn't.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I don't really.
    I cook a lot so I have a pretty good idea what 1/2 cup or 1T of something really looks like.
    Occasionally, I will weigh or measure something like baby carrots or spinach because it is harder to judge. After I've weighed it one time, I have a pretty good idea what a serving of those looks like.

I think if you are pretty familiar with actual serving sizes or cook a lot you can eyeball stuff but if you aren't then you should probably weigh or measure for awhile.
  • oycarter
    Options
    I know weight and measuring is important...but it drives me crazy. It's very difficult for me.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I don't actually find it that difficult. But one thing that does drive me crazy is that so many of the foods in the database are in US and not metric measurements. I know, I know, most users on the site are American. But as a Canadian, I don't know nor do I care about ounces and cups, and would prefer to see things in millilitres and grams. The conversions aren't intuitive for me, so it's just sort of frustrating to keep having to calculate conversions.

This is more of a rant about countries *coughs* USA that don't adopt the ridiculously simple metric system, and not a rant about MFP. But just putting that out there.

metric-system.png
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    I don't actually find it that difficult. But one thing that does drive me crazy is that so many of the foods in the database are in US and not metric measurements.

I'm in the US, but log nearly everything in grams, so I know the better entries in the database generally have 100 gram options (those are the non-asterisk'd ones that I believe are from the USDA).
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Yeah I use those when I can find them, too. But I would *love* the ability to filter results in the database to display only those that are entered in grams.
  • sjeannot
    sjeannot Posts: 143
    Options
    I do when I cook. I have my food scale, measuring cups for liquid and powder and use all of them when I am cooking for accuracy. Seems a little bit much but . . .
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    How many of you *actually* measure and weigh everything you eat?

When I was first starting I did a lot of weighing and measuring. I found my mental calculation were sometimes VERy far off from the actual numbers. After about a year though I have a good idea of what is what and how much is how much. I don't have a huge range of foods so the only time I do measure or weigh anymore is if it is something different from the norm.

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    At home, nearly everything.

I take some shortcuts - if I buy a bag full of apples, they're generally really close to the same size. I'll pick a large-ish one, core it, and weigh it. Then use that measurement for all of the rest of the apples. If I make a recipe, I'll weigh so I have the right calories for the total, but I don't weigh the servings. I'm the only one eating the dish, I know it'll average out in the end.

Out and about it's not feasible. I mean, who cares if I have 300g of lasagna if I have no idea how it was made? And I'm not going to piss off friends and family by nagging them for details about how they made dinner unless I legitimately want the recipe. I just take my best guess and run with it. It's been successful for me so far.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I weight probably 98% of what I eat. If I am at my boyfriend's parent's house I tend eyeball instead of weigh it out.
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I don't because I don't own a food scale. I keep saying I'm going to get one, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I will get one eventually because I'm starting to cook more.

I have had some good progress without using a food scale, though.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I weigh almost everything and measure out the rest. The only things I eyeball are leafy greens and the only things I count are eggs and cherry tomatoes.

58841349.png
  • 89Madeline
    89Madeline Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I do, whenever I'm at home. I weigh everything I cook myself. It's actually not a big problem at all. It's quick and easy. I also eat a lot of portioned controlled/pre packaged things, so I know what I'm putting in my body. Same goes for lunch, to go foods...

However, when I'm abroad for work and eat out a lot I don't, it's simply not possible. I try to estimate and order plates without sauces etc.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Same as most, anything that I make and/or eat at home gets weighed. And I even keep a little portable food scale at my desk at work so that if I get stuck and have to buy lunch or a snack out during the day, as long as no one is around I can weigh what I'm eating. Obviously, at a restaurant or at a friend's house or whatnot it doesn't happen, but as long as that's the exception for meals rather than the rule, I'm sure thing will work out just fine.
  • kwiatrtdy
    kwiatrtdy Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I do, but for a lot of things I judge it by how much of a packet of something I've eaten. Like for lunch I have crackers with 1/4 tub of humus on. Even if I'm not completely accurate with how much I spoon out each day, it still evens out across 4 days.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    Yeah I use those when I can find them, too. But I would *love* the ability to filter results in the database to display only those that are entered in grams.

I'd just love the ability to filter to get only the non-asterisk'd entries (which would give you the gram options). It seems to have gotten more difficult since the recent changes, too.