Went and saw a nutritionist... uh what?

Options

Replies

• Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I'm 196 lbs - around 90KG and I eat around 1600 - 1700 calories a day and losing.

If I went down to 900 i would lose weight fast but would not be able to live.

I would ask what qualifications this person has and if she is getting paid to give you advice. unfortunately there are unscrupulous people out there who will give advice that benefits them.

You start losing lots of weight you will go back and keep using her advice but if you are only losing a little you are less likely to return.

I'm sure others out here could also find studies that show those who lose weight to fast tend to put it all back on while those who take it slow and steady dont.

Well done on what you have lost do far - 10 kg in three months is a great loss.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Sure, OK. Just be careful what you read up on. There's a load of conflicting information out there on the internet. A load of people who say they know stuff but don't understand it, and a load of expert articles which are anything but.

For instance, we are all told not, under any circumstances, to eat below 1200 a day. However, my wife is very petite and she ate under that and it worked. So everyone is different.

Your nutritionist has had an in-depth discussion for you based on your body, your plan and needs. Which is better than any random over the internet. I would stick with it.

I'd ignore both this person and your nutritionist. 900 is a ridiculously small amount, I'm 5'2 and losing in 1600 cals a day. If you go back ask them exactly what their qualifications are, I bet they don't have any. If you are losing on what you are doing stick with that, thought I bet you could lose eating a lot more tbh.
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Why the hell are you asking a forum of unqualified nobodies?

Basically you're wanting us to tell you something different to the person you paid to give expert advice. Sure, OK, sounds like rubbish, eat a load more.

By the way I have no idea what I'm talking about. Happy?
    Lol this.
  • PosterPens
    PosterPens Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    do you have a tremendous amount of weight to lose? also remember, not all nutritionalists are the same.. get another opinion.
  • beadalicious
    beadalicious Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Carbs are ALOT of a persons daily calorie count. I have issues eating processed carbs, so when I am actually eating what I am supposed to eat I stay satisfied around 1000 calories or less. If your not full, just keep eating vegetables or whole grains until you are satisfied. But I agree that a second opinion never hurts. Everyone is different.
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Charlottesometimes23 Posts: 687 Member
    Options

Basically you're wanting us to tell you something different to the person you paid to give expert advice. Sure, OK, sounds like rubbish, eat a load more.

Basically a nutritionist can call themselves a nutritionist without any qualifications whatsover therefore their advice should be taken with a pinch of salt as they will vary from very good to very bad. A dietician is someone who has been medically trained by the way. That's why, in the UK at least, dieticians are the ones who work in hospitals. Nutritionists are the on the fringe new age, alternative therapies, quackery side of things.

So she's asking a forum of unqualified nobodies to validate what an unqualified nobody told her.

How do you know that we are all unqualified nobodies?

I agree with the first part though.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Why don't you try it and see how it goes- You'll survive it till the next appointment.
    This is the only way to really know!
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options

Basically a nutritionist can call themselves a nutritionist without any qualifications whatsover therefore their advice should be taken with a pinch of salt as they will vary from very good to very bad. A dietician is someone who has been medically trained by the way. That's why, in the UK at least, dieticians are the ones who work in hospitals. Nutritionists are the on the fringe new age, alternative therapies, quackery side of things.

So she's asking a forum of unqualified nobodies to validate what an unqualified nobody told her.

How do you know that we are all unqualified nobodies?

I agree with the first part though.

I don't know, but I was using the previous poster's description. I'm sure there are lots of qualified people around here. I for example have a black belt in Origami...........
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Charlottesometimes23 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    ^Origami? Nice. I'm impressed. :laugh:
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    Sure, OK. Just be careful what you read up on. There's a load of conflicting information out there on the internet. A load of people who say they know stuff but don't understand it, and a load of expert articles which are anything but.

For instance, we are all told not, under any circumstances, to eat below 1200 a day. However, my wife is very petite and she ate under that and it worked. So everyone is different.

Your nutritionist has had an in-depth discussion for you based on your body, your plan and needs. Which is better than any random over the internet. I would stick with it.

1000 or below is very low. 800 and below is known as a VLCD which has very bad health problems that can come along with it, and usually is only used in obese patients under the supervision of a doctor.

if your wife is petite, then its totally possible for her to eat below 1200.

but, this girl is

"5'8, approx 120kgs at the start now around 110kg. I workout approx 3 - 6 times a week, with a PT so cardio/weights, pretty inten"se exercise as I am pretty strong, e.g. I leg press 3 sets 10 reps 130kg... 30mins cardio each session.

you really need a second opinion. cause that doesn't sound good to me at all. the only thing that may be a factor is if you have a medical condition caused by your weight that needs urgent weightloss to rectify. your bmi suggests the possibility of this.

SECOND OPINION!! FROM A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL!
  • wibbley74
    wibbley74 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    i think following this advise would do you more harm than good IMHO
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I've been seeing a nutritionist for a few months and he told me to eat more warm, nourishing cooked food - more fats, more protein (in particular red meat, which I hardly touched) and to hold back on the refined carbs.

It has really changed my life since I stopped eating processed and "diet" food and started eating real, organic, in season, locally sourced food, cooked from scratch.

There is no need to starve yourself.
  • Strangegirlz
    Strangegirlz Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Did you tell the nutritionist how much you work out? There is no way you could do heavy workouts on a plan like this. You will be glycogen depleted and your strength will be drastically reduced. Is this a nutritionist that you pay to go to, could it be a case of them wanting you to lose a stack of weight very fast so that you think, wow they were really great?
    This type of eating is not realistic for someone that exercises a lot(not actually suitable for someone who doesn't exercise). Yes you may lose a lot of weight fast, it will be mostly water and muscle not fat, but you will not be able to maintain this kind of eating and have good workouts. You're 5ft 8, working out a lot, strong, I really just don't get how a qualified person came up with this plan for you!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,618 Member
    Options
    I took a look at your diary and you seem to be very low on protein. You can try meals similar to what the nutritionist gave you, just bigger and add snacks in between, like fruit with nuts or nut butter. You should also keep your calories above 1300. Put olive or coconut oil on your veggies if your calories still come out low.
  • Strangegirlz
    Strangegirlz Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I've been seeing a nutritionist for a few months and he told me to eat more warm, nourishing cooked food - more fats, more protein (in particular red meat, which I hardly touched) and to hold back on the refined carbs.

It has really changed my life since I stopped eating processed and "diet" food and started eating real, organic, in season, locally sourced food, cooked from scratch.

This is sensible
  • rgohm
    rgohm Posts: 294 Member
    Options

woah. angry person alert!!

here have a flower :flowerforyou:

LOL :laugh:
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    That person who advised you is an idiot.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I'm no nutritionist but I learned more about nutrition in 2 semesters than this so called "nutritionist" apparently learned while getting a degree.

It sounds to me that they're completely full of it. Ditching pasta isn't a bad call, but eating 900 cals a day is ridiculous.
  • Rhayahana
    Rhayahana Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and 85 kg at the moment and my TDEE is roughly 2500 with me working out 4-5 times a week for an hour. I never eat anything less than 1900 cal a day and I'm losing weight!

Eating 800 or 1000 cal a day is a third of what I eat, and you're a little bigger than me, so at the same activity level you should be eating at least your BMR! (should be around 1600-1700)

(And no, I'm not an unqualified nobody, I'm in school to become a dietician)
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

This is sensible

agreed. i've taken the same approach and dropped about 20 pounds in 4 months, without counting calories, andstill enjoying the occasional beer.

eat real food. that you cook yourself. not food from a box