Went and saw a nutritionist... uh what?

Options

Replies

• Silver14
    Silver14 Posts: 141
    Options
    Mine told me to eat min 30g of fat per day, yet on the list everything was low-fat yogurt, skimmed milk, egg whites etc.
    Only 1 serve of fat a day (30g nuts, 1/4 avocado) etc

Ummmmm NO! I need atleast 2 serves of nuts, + avocado in salad + olive oil etc

Also she said for lunch: Salad + 1/2c grains + 30G meat etc... 30G!?!? Dude... So not enough, I need MORE meat in my diet, NOT less!

She also goes: "When you have Oatmeal, you only have 1/4c right?"

Umm no! 1/2c MINIMUM! I'm a active athelete, and she recomended 1300c.... Sigh.

EDIT: She is a registered Dietician :)
  • Ducey99
    Ducey99 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Basically a nutritionist can call themselves a nutritionist without any qualifications whatsover therefore their advice should be taken with a pinch of salt as they will vary from very good to very bad. A dietician is someone who has been medically trained by the way. That's why, in the UK at least, dieticians are the ones who work in hospitals. Nutritionists are the on the fringe new age, alternative therapies, quackery side of things.

So she's asking a forum of unqualified nobodies to validate what an unqualified nobody told her.

This.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

So I went and saw a nutritionist today, my exercise is pretty good and wanted help on the diet side of things.

I know I eat way too much pasta but did not expect the news she gave me!

Essentially my diet would be: (similarish to what I eat now except for the dinners)

Breakfast:
    Greek yoghurt
    Museli
    Fruit

Lunch: Salad with protein

Dinner; Protein with unlimited veg

No pasta except once or twice a week with half a cup of brown rice, some wholewheat pasta

This totals MAXIMUM 900 calories, if that. At the moment in the last three months or so I've been averaging approx 1300 cals, which I thought was about right. I voiced this concern to her, and she said it was okay, that eating this amount of calories was RIGHT for me, and should be around 1000 or less.

I'm female, 5'8, approx 120kgs at the start now around 110kg. I workout approx 3 - 6 times a week, with a PT so cardio/weights, pretty intense exercise as I am pretty strong, e.g. I leg press 3 sets 10 reps 130kg... 30mins cardio each session.

I know I have a fair amount of weight to lose but I'm not 300kg, I mean really... Does this sound right?

**Edit: I have another appointment in three weeks, was just going to try it out and see how things go but at that rate I'll have lost maybe 12kg in three weeks
    Apparently you've been restricting your calories, not to the 900 level but not much more and binge eating. Restricting more will only make it worse. You need to formulate a diet that includes foods you like in portions that will accommodate a reasonable intake that takes your exercise into account. You wanting immediate results generally fails, so have patience and get some alternative advice on a new diet plan.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Breakfast:
    Greek yoghurt
    Museli
    Fruit

Lunch: Salad with protein

Dinner; Protein with unlimited veg

No pasta except once or twice a week with half a cup of brown rice, some wholewheat pasta

This totals MAXIMUM 900 calories, if that. At the moment in the last three months or so I've been averaging approx 1300 cals, which I thought was about right. I voiced this concern to her, and she said it was okay, that eating this amount of calories was RIGHT for me, and should be around 1000 or less.

Did the nutritionist actually say restrict to 900 calories? Because I could eat that menu quite happily and make it way more than 900. I'm 5'3 and eating an average 1300 a day and losing weight at a nice pace - my diary is open if you need ideas, I eat pretty well.

Same here. I'm 5'0, and I eat 1750-1800 calories per day. I'm losing weight at a rate of 0.5 to 1 lb per week, and I only spend about 3.5 hours per week in the gym (nearly all of it heavy strength training). My diet looks a lot like what your nutritionist recommended. I eat Greek yogurt and fruit for my first meal of the day (I don't call it breakfast because I eat at 11 AM). I don't eat lunch. I train in the afternoons, and then I have a protein shake, 12-16 oz of meat, and lots of vegetables for dinner, followed by a generous serving of dark chocolate and peanut butter for dessert.

As for there not being any "experts" on this site, let's be honest with each other: many people on this site have done more research on nutrition and training and weight loss this year than most doctors do in their entire careers. Having letters after your name or a diploma or certificate on the wall doesn't make you an expert. Experience makes you an expert. I've lost over 100 lbs. I eat copious amounts of delicious food. I am really strong, especially for a small woman. I consider myself an expert on the subject of healthy weight loss. I don't really care whether or not anyone else thinks so. I am responsible for me, not you.
  • ajewellmom
    ajewellmom Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Bah! I started to formulate a response based on my visits to a dietitian and then realized I am just darned lucky I don't see your nutritionist.
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    that sounds sort of ridiculous, but i'm not a nutritionist..?

Stick a sign on your door that says you are and then BAM you become one.

Nutritionist is a very loosely guarded term. Dietitians on the other hand need qualifications that take a considerable amount of effort.

ACTUALLY most nutritionists have had a fair amount of schooling, i know i am in process ( the end of a 2 year degree)
    I simply do not have the 2 years to put into an apprenticeship to become a RD ...
    but that said, yes you can take a couple weeks of classes and be a nutritionist,
    also , Nutritionists can make recommendations ,but not actually give you a diet to follow, thats a big bruhaha between the RD and Nutritionists right now..
    OP, contact me privately please- if you want non bashing advice.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Why the hell are you asking a forum of unqualified nobodies?

Basically you're wanting us to tell you something different to the person you paid to give expert advice. Sure, OK, sounds like rubbish, eat a load more.

By the way I have no idea what I'm talking about. Happy?

Well, it sounds like we're at least a small step up from getting our degrees and certifications out of a cracker jack box.
  • ZealousMissJJ
    ZealousMissJJ Posts: 454 Member
    Options

I'm female, 5'8, approx 120kgs at the start now around 110kg. I workout approx 3 - 6 times a week, with a PT so cardio/weights, pretty intense exercise as I am pretty strong, e.g. I leg press 3 sets 10 reps 130kg... 30mins cardio each session.

Seriousely though, 900 is way too low. I've been there. Lost weight quick (8kg in 8 weeks) but I was dizzy, REALLY cranky, have enourmous cravings at the end that led me to eat someone else's entire jar of peanutbutter ot the office. You won't be able to keep it up.

900 calories is not a lifestyle change. It's an insane diet that will leave you saggy. It did for me; lost all lean musclemass. So, I was succesfully 55kg but looked like a mess. I'd ask for a second opinion or just make up your own mind based on common sense!

I can't believe you ate someone else's peanut butter! That is so funny. lol

Yup, it was ridiculous and my rock bottom ;). I just took a spoon and secretly hid behind the kabinet and ate almost the entire thing. Never fessed up either... I just put a new jar next to it. Poor thing must still be wondering what the hell happend. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options

Nutritionist is a very loosely guarded term. Dietitians on the other hand need qualifications that take a considerable amount of effort.

ACTUALLY most nutritionists have had a fair amount of schooling, i know i am in process ( the end of a 2 year degree)
    I simply do not have the 2 years to put into an apprenticeship to become a RD ...
    but that said, yes you can take a couple weeks of classes and be a nutritionist,
    also , Nutritionists can make recommendations ,but not actually give you a diet to follow, thats a big bruhaha between the RD and Nutritionists right now..

Why can't you just give her advice on a public forum?

If you're going to make suggestions to her diet you should do it publicly and stand by them. That's my opinion any ways . . .

Also, some nutritionists do have some amount of schooling. But that wasn't what I said. I said that being a nutritionist is a loosely guarded term. The word 'Nutritionist' is not protected by The Health Professionals Council and I've seen way too many people go and see 'nutritionists' and come out with ridiculous advice.
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    As for there not being any "experts" on this site, let's be honest with each other: many people on this site have done more research on nutrition and training and weight loss this year than most doctors do in their entire careers. Having letters after your name or a diploma or certificate on the wall doesn't make you an expert. Experience makes you an expert. I've lost over 100 lbs. I eat copious amounts of delicious food. I am really strong, especially for a small woman. I consider myself an expert on the subject of healthy weight loss. I don't really care whether or not anyone else thinks so. I am responsible for me, not you.

Actually no. You can only be an expert on yourself and your own weight loss. Your opinions, for that is all they can be unless you've done the study and passed the medical exams, may be 100% correct or 100% incorrect when applied to other people. I'm sure you have a lot of knowledge, perhaps expert knowledge, that is not what I am questioning, but it counts for very little without the qualifications.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    NOPE>>>>>>>900 is way to low!!!!!!!!!!
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options

Why can't you just give her advice on a public forum?

If you're going to make suggestions to her diet you should do it publicly and stand by them. That's my opinion any ways . . .

Also, some nutritionists do have some amount of schooling. But that wasn't what I said. I said that being a nutritionist is a loosely guarded term. The word 'Nutritionist' is not protected by The Health Professionals Council and I've seen way too many people go and see 'nutritionists' and come out with ridiculous advice.
    because her diary is not open , so she doesn't want that public, why should i air it out here for everyone ?
    as far as what her nutritionist said, its bunk,...
    what would i suggest .
    similar to what everyone else has already said for the most part .
    whole unrefined foods first,
    good variety of all vegetables, and fruits, limit refined grains , actually its all over my website :D
  • fatalis_vox
    fatalis_vox Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I didn't read the whole thread, so sorry if this is already been said.

"Nutritionist" requires exactly zero legal certification. It isn't actually a qualified medical field. I could technically call myself a "nutritionist." You could call yourself a nutritionist. The 18-year-old waiting for the bus could call himself a nutritionist.

Go to a real, qualified, legal dietician for medical advice on diet and nutrition. Seriously.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose weight quickly that might be the right amount for you. Only on MFP have I heard people state that 1200 was the absolute minimum else beware the dread starvation mode.
  • toutmonpossible
    Options
    (Deleting double post. MFP system sometimes responds very slowly.)
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    If you take issue with your nutritionist's advice, you should be asking a different professional rather than strangers on the internet. A medical professional will be able to better gauge what your intake should be and why it should be that.
  • toutmonpossible
    Options

Go to a real, qualified, legal dietician for medical advice on diet and nutrition. Seriously.

The term is "Registered Dietitian."
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Mine told me to eat min 30g of fat per day, yet on the list everything was low-fat yogurt, skimmed milk, egg whites etc.
    Only 1 serve of fat a day (30g nuts, 1/4 avocado) etc

Ummmmm NO! I need atleast 2 serves of nuts, + avocado in salad + olive oil etc

Also she said for lunch: Salad + 1/2c grains + 30G meat etc... 30G!?!? Dude... So not enough, I need MORE meat in my diet, NOT less!

She also goes: "When you have Oatmeal, you only have 1/4c right?"

Umm no! 1/2c MINIMUM! I'm a active athelete, and she recomended 1300c.... Sigh.

EDIT: She is a registered Dietician :)

1/4-1/3 C dry? That's an average serving size
  • oldandhealthier
    oldandhealthier Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    My sister is a dietitian and everything she tells me is opposite of that. I would get a second opinion.
    ditto
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    and today's lesson is:

always check the credentials of an ''expert'' before you pay for their opinion.