Replies

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    k8blujay2 wrote: »
    __drmerc__ wrote: »
    odusgolp wrote: »
    What if I don't want 90% of what the government has to offer? Can I opt out?? There's gotta be a form for that.

Seriously!!!

Can't I be a libertarian in paying my taxes and only pay for the ones I want?

Sure if you want the poor to die. I can't believe you people, so selfish

It's called giving to chareties...

IF the government wasn't taking nearly a third of my paycheck I would be able to give more the groups that actually help people... you know, like the food banks or the missions...

Charity is more toxic then most think.

Truth is, mission trips benefit the volunteers more then they benefit the recipients.

Mission trips are short term and provide instant gratification rather then community development which is what these communities actually need. Community development is long term and not many people are willing to or able to volunteer their time to reshape a community's standard of living or quality of life.

Are you participating the "political" discussion that you were just condemning? And adding religion to the discussion?

I'm shocked and appalled.

I didn't discuss religion. I discussed charity work. Don't come and try to turn it into something it isn't.
    ...like if someone were saying this is a "political" discussion, rather than economics? Just sayin'.

Also, I suggest the US implement a national sales tax. This way everyone is taxed equally based on their consumer behavior. This includes tourists, undocumented immigrants, and the wealthy.

I said it's both. Reading comprehension…..?
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options
    Leave politics out of the forums. It's against the rules.

Waiting for the close in….. 3….. 2…. 1

This is economics not politics

Lol, you are such a troll. Politics affects government expenditure, legislation, creation of laws, tax cuts, etc., which ultimately have a very strong impact on the economy.

But... you also discussed politics here. *gasp*

Ya, God forbid I give a definition.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    What if I don't want 90% of what the government has to offer? Can I opt out?? There's gotta be a form for that.

Seriously!!!

IF the government wasn't taking nearly a third of my paycheck I would be able to give more the groups that actually help people... you know, like the food banks or the missions...

Truth is, mission trips benefit the volunteers more then they benefit the recipients.

Mission trips are short term and provide instant gratification rather then community development which is what these communities actually need. Community development is long term and not many people are willing to or able to volunteer their time to reshape a community's standard of living or quality of life.

Are you participating the "political" discussion that you were just condemning? And adding religion to the discussion?

I didn't discuss religion. I discussed charity work. Don't come and try to turn it into something it isn't.
    ...like if someone were saying this is a "political" discussion, rather than economics? Just sayin'.

Also, I suggest the US implement a national sales tax. This way everyone is taxed equally based on their consumer behavior. This includes tourists, undocumented immigrants, and the wealthy.

so you've threatened the OP and now ridiculing other users?

• FatFreeFrolicking
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »

Seriously!!!

I'd love to know where I "threatened" the OP? Clearly you have an incorrect understanding of what it means to threaten someone.
  • tziol
    tziol Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    rich people already consume too much calories, why do you want to tax them? :-)
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options

Seriously!!!

I'd love to know where I "threatened" the OP? Clearly you have an incorrect understanding of what it means to threaten someone.

so you say something akin to "you better watch your step if you know what I'm saying" and I'm to assume that you are looking out for someone's well being?
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    18 months ago I quit my good job (6 figure salary - huge bonuses), took out a 2nd mortgage on the house, put EVERYTHING I owned up for collateral, got partners to finance what the banks would not finance, gave up significant ownership to the partners, and have been busting my butt for 18 months starting a new engineering firm. I invested about $300,000 just to open my doors (I have a very expensive lab)...first checks started coming in 90 days after opening. I currently owe $175k to creditors, down from $250k. I expect to have that paid off in 18-months. I have 9 highly compensated employees. I provide all of their benefits for free (health care, dental, sort/long term disability, and gift them 5% of their gross pay (OT, bonuses, and base pay) into their 401k - they don't have to contribute a penny. If they add a spouse or kid, they pick up that expense, but I subsidize 1/2. My business owns 5 pick-up trucks...2 Chevy's, 1 GM, and 2 Fords. They will be paid off in 2 years...but I pay $3,000/month to make payments on these.

I was profitable at 12 months and have 6 figures in the bank now. I expect my profit margin to be around 35% because I am very good at what I do and very expensive, as are my employees. I work between 50 and 70 hours per week. My employees a little less.

My employees risked a little - they too had to leave the jobs to join a start-up and they have faith in me and I trust them completely. I have rewarded them handsomely, so much so, they won't be enticed away.

I risked EVERYTHING...I mean everything. I can't wait to make over $1,000,000. I want to have tax problems...as in how to shelter what I earned.

I win again B)

I say we tax you more to help burger flippers. Those brand new smartphones and data plans aren't going to pay for themselves.

• Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

Seriously!!!

Yep, I understood what you were saying. You were saying that the OP should be in trouble for posting a political discussion (about economics). I'm saying, no, he shouldn't. I used an analogy to demonstrate that you inferred politics from economics the same way I inferred religion from charity. But that was probably too subtle to be clear.

So here is what I mean: while one may be related to the other, one does not require the other. We can have a non-political economic discussion, just like you can talk about missions, but not mean religion. You've flagged the post, so your vote has been made. Let's allow the mods decide what constitutes inappropriate discussion material and not throw around our own interpretations in the form of threatening comments.

Anyway, back to my BRILLIANT national sales tax suggestion. Thoughts from anyone? I feel like this would be a good solution.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

Seriously!!!

so you say something akin to "you better watch your step if you know what I'm saying" and I'm to assume that you are looking out for someone's well being?

I told the OP that this type of discussion is against the rules and that I'll let the mods deal with him now (since he didn't take my word of advice). That's far from threatening but whatever you say!
  • ryanwood935
    ryanwood935 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Chaelaz wrote: »
    You could at least argue that by putting in the work everyone in class COULD earn an A, while in an economy with a relatively fixed supply of money, there is not enough free cash flow for everyone to earn xxx amount of income.

Everyone has the potential to work hard, better themselves, and earn more money. The fixed supply of money is irrelevant since the economy is based on supply and demand. If you equip yourself with skills or products that are in demand, you will take a portion of income from another area where demand is waning. So many gov't programs simple give people more money back to their pocket (while taking it from others who are making money because they are in demand) and not giving any improvement in their skill to make a better life for themselves. Graded taxation is a perfect example of that.

I agree with all that, except taking that income from another source is reducing someone elses wealth. In this case, the rich become relatively poorer as we reach equilibrium. I was just giving the OP a less ridiculous example of his classroom 'fix'.
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I just want it on record that I am against taxis for the obscenely wealthy. They should have to take public transportation as a trade off for the capitals they have taken from my people.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options

Seriously!!!

Yep, I understood what you were saying. You were saying that the OP should be in trouble for posting a political discussion (about economics). I'm saying, no, he shouldn't. I used an analogy to demonstrate that you inferred politics from economics the same way I inferred religion from charity. But that was probably too subtle to be clear.

So here is what I mean: while one may be related to the other, one does not require the other. We can have a non-political economic discussion, just like you can talk about missions, but not mean religion. You've flagged the post, so your vote has been made. Let's allow the mods decide what constitutes inappropriate discussion material and not throw around our own interpretations in the form of threatening comments.

Anyway, back to my BRILLIANT national sales tax suggestion. Thoughts from anyone? I feel like this would be a good solution.

Do you mean on top of the sales taxes the states are already charging ?
  • ryanwood935
    Options
    Tigg_er wrote: »

Seriously!!!

Move to Delaware.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options

Seriously!!!

Move to Delaware.

Whats up with Delaware ?

• Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

Seriously!!!

Yes. Essentially eliminate income tax and implement a national sales tax in it's place.
  • stuart160
    stuart160 Posts: 1,628 Member
    Options

Seriously!!!

You are making perfect sense. Eliminate the income tax and replace it with a consumption/ sales tax on everything except for food(unless maybe eating out) Everybody pays!!!
  • ryanwood935
    Options

Seriously!!!

Move to Delaware.

Whats up with Delaware ?

Failure to explain :smile: . They don't have a sales tax. Interestingly, they are so corporation friendly- partially due to a low corporate tax rate- that they don't need the extra revenue.
  • _errata_
    _errata_ Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    because?

363wh9.jpg
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

Failure to explain :smile: . They don't have a sales tax. Interestingly, they are so corporation friendly- partially due to a low corporate tax rate- that they don't need the extra revenue.

No joke. If you can establish a physical presence in Delaware, incorporating your business there, or Las Vegas, is wise.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I agree with all that, except taking that income from another source is reducing someone elses wealth. In this case, the rich become relatively poorer as we reach equilibrium. I was just giving the OP a less ridiculous example of his classroom 'fix'.

I liked your example.

Rich rarely become poor in the literal sense of the word because they have a particular skill set that allows them to continual find those growth revenues. Somewhere I read it called earning habits, where they learn what brings income and they continue to apply it properly in various scenarios. Or really, they have "people" that find those revenue sources for them. They learn how to put both their money and other people's talents to work for them.

Anywho...it's a troll post and it's all in fun.

Cheers.

This discussion has been closed.