Why don't we tax the rich?

Options

Replies

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    chuckyp wrote: »
    The rich already pay far more than their fair share, and this is coming from a guy who most certainly is not rich. If you really want to level the playing field, everyone should pay the same tax rate instead of penalizing success and subsidizing failure and laziness.

Somewhat agree.

What is more important is that graded taxation does far more damage to the middle and upper middle class to keep them from breaking up into high strata and brings them almost on level with lower income earners. Middle class lose all the tax breaks and credit that lower income people are given, but cannot invest or take advantage of tax shelters that upper class do.

What REALLY irks me though is corporate tax breaks and government funded incentives/kickbacks.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    k8blujay2 wrote: »
    __drmerc__ wrote: »
    odusgolp wrote: »
    What if I don't want 90% of what the government has to offer? Can I opt out?? There's gotta be a form for that.

Seriously!!!

Can't I be a libertarian in paying my taxes and only pay for the ones I want?

Sure if you want the poor to die. I can't believe you people, so selfish

It's called giving to chareties...

IF the government wasn't taking nearly a third of my paycheck I would be able to give more the groups that actually help people... you know, like the food banks or the missions...

Charity is more toxic then most think.

Truth is, mission trips benefit the volunteers more then they benefit the recipients.

Mission trips are short term and provide instant gratification rather then community development which is what these communities actually need. Community development is long term and not many people are willing to or able to volunteer their time to reshape a community's standard of living or quality of life.

I didn't say mission TRIPS... I said the missions... which there is a mission around here that does more good for the people and provides more low income services than even the government does... and it is supported by the local baptist churches in order to support local folks that are in need... not somewhere in Delaware even though the resources were given here.... and our mission trips are going to help missionaries from our church to complete a project that they need help with, whether it's building a building that is needed or a water well... But again, I did not state trips... and that's why one must be choosy on which charity they submit their earnings to... but like with most things, people are too lazy to do their homework on anything...
  • Tbaby1514
    Tbaby1514 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Tbaby1514 wrote: »
    I paid in almost 14% of my salary last year. I don't even wanna hear it.

That is seriously low... I'm impressed.

I guess you missed the part where I apparently don't know anything about my own taxes. hahaha
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I paid in almost 14% of my salary last year. I don't even wanna hear it.

That is seriously low... I'm impressed.

I guess you missed the part where I apparently don't know anything about my own taxes. hahaha

LOL Don't worry... I'm an accountant and still mystified half the time :wink:
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    What if I don't want 90% of what the government has to offer? Can I opt out?? There's gotta be a form for that.

Seriously!!!

IF the government wasn't taking nearly a third of my paycheck I would be able to give more the groups that actually help people... you know, like the food banks or the missions...

Truth is, mission trips benefit the volunteers more then they benefit the recipients.

Mission trips are short term and provide instant gratification rather then community development which is what these communities actually need. Community development is long term and not many people are willing to or able to volunteer their time to reshape a community's standard of living or quality of life.

Are you participating the "political" discussion that you were just condemning? And adding religion to the discussion?

I'm shocked and appalled.
  • Timshel_
    Options
    For the record, I like politics and religion. I'm also happy to pay taxes for the amount of great services in this country. I am dismayed like most hard working folks when I see waste and laziness, but the good far outweighs the bad, imho.

I worry more about how self-centered people are becoming and believe that will be what crashes society.
  • ryanwood935
    ryanwood935 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    OK - I'll bite - here's a valid argument.

My wife teaches high school (11th grade) Personal Finance. This topic comes up over and over.

So, to illustrate the problem to her classes she suggests that they do an exercise on the next test to model "taxing the rich"...the exercise is pretty simple: the people that get high grades have to give up some of their grade to help the people out that get the low grades...level the playing field, so to speak.

What happens is the traditionally "high grade" students don't study, because, what's the point, they have to give about 1/2 of their grade away anyway. The traditional "low grade" students study even less than before, if that is possible, because they are expecting a hand-out. Apathy rules. The average test score for each class drops to a dismal level.

Same thing will happen in the real world if taxes are raised that high.

Sorry I missed it with all the personal attacks going on.

This is obviously a super simplified example and does not apply to real world. Currently there is no cap on how much money you can make (an A in class)
    All I'm saying is lets cap it at A or A+ so that the F students have a better chance to succeed

You could at least argue that by putting in the work everyone in class COULD earn an A, while in an economy with a relatively fixed supply of money, there is not enough free cash flow for everyone to earn xxx amount of income. Cause your argument wouldn't completely decimate an economy or anything :smile:
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Just let the government own everything and everyone can share everything equally.
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Just let the government own everything and everyone can share everything equally.

Finally some sensible thought!
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    SwannySez wrote: »

Finally some sensible thought!

Sensible for who ?

• ryanwood935
    ryanwood935 Posts: 245 Member
    Options

My wife teaches high school (11th grade) Personal Finance. This topic comes up over and over.

So, to illustrate the problem to her classes she suggests that they do an exercise on the next test to model "taxing the rich"...the exercise is pretty simple: the people that get high grades have to give up some of their grade to help the people out that get the low grades...level the playing field, so to speak.

What happens is the traditionally "high grade" students don't study, because, what's the point, they have to give about 1/2 of their grade away anyway. The traditional "low grade" students study even less than before, if that is possible, because they are expecting a hand-out. Apathy rules. The average test score for each class drops to a dismal level.

This is obviously a super simplified example and does not apply to real world. Currently there is no cap on how much money you can make (an A in class)
    All I'm saying is lets cap it at A or A+ so that the F students have a better chance to succeed

You could at least argue that by putting in the work everyone in class COULD earn an A, while in an economy with a relatively fixed supply of money, there is not enough free cash flow for everyone to earn xxx amount of income. Cause your argument wouldn't completely decimate an economy or anything :smile:

There is enough cash for everyone. Do you read the paper? Fed will turn on quantitative easing anytime we want now

Yeah, the amount of money 'printed' through QE to satisfy making everyone rich would cause hyperinflation. But hey, we'd all be billionaires!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options

Communist!
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Options

Communist!

In...for communes.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

Seriously!!!

Are you participating the "political" discussion that you were just condemning? And adding religion to the discussion?

I didn't discuss religion. I discussed charity work. Don't come and try to turn it into something it isn't.
  • Timshel_
    Options
    You could at least argue that by putting in the work everyone in class COULD earn an A, while in an economy with a relatively fixed supply of money, there is not enough free cash flow for everyone to earn xxx amount of income.

Everyone has the potential to work hard, better themselves, and earn more money. The fixed supply of money is irrelevant since the economy is based on supply and demand. If you equip yourself with skills or products that are in demand, you will take a portion of income from another area where demand is waning. So many gov't programs simple give people more money back to their pocket (while taking it from others who are making money because they are in demand) and not giving any improvement in their skill to make a better life for themselves. Graded taxation is a perfect example of that.
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options

lol...I certainly hope there is no cap on how much money I can make.

Here is a real world example:

18 months ago I quit my good job (6 figure salary - huge bonuses), took out a 2nd mortgage on the house, put EVERYTHING I owned up for collateral, got partners to finance what the banks would not finance, gave up significant ownership to the partners, and have been busting my butt for 18 months starting a new engineering firm. I invested about $300,000 just to open my doors (I have a very expensive lab)...first checks started coming in 90 days after opening. I currently owe $175k to creditors, down from $250k. I expect to have that paid off in 18-months. I have 9 highly compensated employees. I provide all of their benefits for free (health care, dental, sort/long term disability, and gift them 5% of their gross pay (OT, bonuses, and base pay) into their 401k - they don't have to contribute a penny. If they add a spouse or kid, they pick up that expense, but I subsidize 1/2. My business owns 5 pick-up trucks...2 Chevy's, 1 GM, and 2 Fords. They will be paid off in 2 years...but I pay $3,000/month to make payments on these.

I was profitable at 12 months and have 6 figures in the bank now. I expect my profit margin to be around 35% because I am very good at what I do and very expensive, as are my employees. I work between 50 and 70 hours per week. My employees a little less.

My employees risked a little - they too had to leave the jobs to join a start-up and they have faith in me and I trust them completely. I have rewarded them handsomely, so much so, they won't be enticed away.

I risked EVERYTHING...I mean everything. I can't wait to make over $1,000,000. I want to have tax problems...as in how to shelter what I earned.

I win again B)
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Options

Seriously!!!

I didn't discuss religion. I discussed charity work. Don't come and try to turn it into something it isn't.
    ...like if someone were saying this is a "political" discussion, rather than economics? Just sayin'.

Also, I suggest the US implement a national sales tax. This way everyone is taxed equally based on their consumer behavior. This includes tourists, undocumented immigrants, and the wealthy.

• odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Leave politics out of the forums. It's against the rules.

Waiting for the close in….. 3….. 2…. 1

This is economics not politics

Lol, you are such a troll. Politics affects government expenditure, legislation, creation of laws, tax cuts, etc., which ultimately have a very strong impact on the economy.

But... you also discussed politics here. *gasp*
This discussion has been closed.