Why don't we tax the rich?

Options

Replies

• odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Tbaby1514 wrote: »
    I paid in almost 14% of my salary last year. I don't even wanna hear it.

That is seriously low... I'm impressed.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    chuckyp wrote: »
    The rich already pay far more than their fair share, and this is coming from a guy who most certainly is not rich. If you really want to level the playing field, everyone should pay the same tax rate instead of penalizing success and subsidizing failure and laziness.

Yep !

• stuart160
    stuart160 Posts: 1,628 Member
    Options
    OK - I'll bite - here's a valid argument.

My wife teaches high school (11th grade) Personal Finance. This topic comes up over and over.

So, to illustrate the problem to her classes she suggests that they do an exercise on the next test to model "taxing the rich"...the exercise is pretty simple: the people that get high grades have to give up some of their grade to help the people out that get the low grades...level the playing field, so to speak.

What happens is the traditionally "high grade" students don't study, because, what's the point, they have to give about 1/2 of their grade away anyway. The traditional "low grade" students study even less than before, if that is possible, because they are expecting a hand-out. Apathy rules. The average test score for each class drops to a dismal level.

Same thing will happen in the real world if taxes are raised that high.

Same thing already happens everyday in a country where over 47% of the people are on some sort of govt handout and are allowed to continue to vote for the politicians that promise to take even more from those that work and give it to those that don't or to those that made a PERSONAL decision at some point in their not to do what it takes to get ahead in life.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    __drmerc__ wrote: »
    Leave politics out of the forums. It's against the rules.

Waiting for the close in….. 3….. 2…. 1

This is economics not politics

Lol, you are such a troll. Politics affects government expenditure, legislation, creation of laws, tax cuts, etc., which ultimately have a very strong impact on the economy.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    What if I don't want 90% of what the government has to offer? Can I opt out?? There's gotta be a form for that.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    odusgolp wrote: »
    What if I don't want 90% of what the government has to offer? Can I opt out?? There's gotta be a form for that.

Seriously!!!

Can't I be a libertarian in paying my taxes and only pay for the ones I want?
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options
    Leave politics out of the forums. It's against the rules.

Waiting for the close in….. 3….. 2…. 1

This is economics not politics

Lol, you are such a troll. Politics affects government expenditure, legislation, creation of laws, tax cuts, etc., which ultimately has a very strong impact on the economy.

It also effects our food labels and guidelines. Is that topic also off limits?

I gave you a warning to keep politics out of the forums. Now I'll let the mods deal with you. :)

• k8blujay2
    edited November 2014
    Options
    k8blujay2 wrote: »

Seriously!!!

Sure if you want the poor to die. I can't believe you people, so selfish

It's called giving to chareties...

IF the government wasn't taking nearly a third of my paycheck I would be able to give more the groups that actually help people... you know, like the food banks or the missions...
  • odusgolp
    Options

Seriously!!!

Damn straight I am. It's like you don't even KNOW me!

Survival of the fittest, bro.
  • k8blujay2
    Options

Seriously!!!

We should get rid of tax exempt status, it's abused. Look at the NFL

What does a person running around in spandex need 4 million dollars a year for anyway?

• odusgolp
    Options

Seriously!!!

We should get rid of tax exempt status, it's abused. Look at the NFL

What does a person running around in spandex need 4 million dollars a year for anyway?

Hey hey hey... let's not start knockin men in football pants.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I just would like to mention that if you're unhappy with the US tax rates, come to Italy where our taxes are at about 60-70%.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    WalterWilliamsSocialJustice.jpg
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

Seriously!!!

IF the government wasn't taking nearly a third of my paycheck I would be able to give more the groups that actually help people... you know, like the food banks or the missions...

Charity is more toxic then most think.

Truth is, mission trips benefit the volunteers more then they benefit the recipients.

Mission trips are short term and provide instant gratification rather then community development which is what these communities actually need. Community development is long term and not many people are willing to or able to volunteer their time to reshape a community's standard of living or quality of life.

• Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    He's a troll.
    If you tax the rich, what stops the rich from leaving the town, city, state, country?

Can't present a valid argument so you resort to name calling?

Hmmm...I presented a valid argument right after __drmerc__ posted this message (above).

No response __drmerc__? Nothing? I win B)
This discussion has been closed.