How do you react when a stranger randomly compliments you?

Options

Replies

• RacquetChick
    RacquetChick Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I say thanks and secretly think they are full of $*** ;)
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Totally appreciated! I got a random compliment today (for wearing a colorful dress on a very gloomy day) and it made me so happy :)
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    When I see a lady/guy lift an impressive weight amount or good form, I go out of my way to say "Impressive weight or Excellent Form". I usually get a HUGE smile, because all of us are trying to improve and it makes us feel great when someone notices. I always reply Thank you, I appreciate that. When I get a compliment.
  • The_Aly_Wei
    The_Aly_Wei Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Joshacham wrote: »
    Still waiting on that luxury.

Oh hey, i like your face :smile:
  • bob108819
    bob108819 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I'll let you know if it ever happens :-)
  • rgf95
    rgf95 Posts: 2,531 Member
    Options
    It does not happen too often! Recently, though, my wife and I were doing our indoor 2-miles at a mall at about 9:30 AM We started walking down a staircase and two ladies [in their mid-late 30s?] leaned over the bannister and one of them called our, "You two are Sooo cute!" We thanked her but were really amused by it [Not at all sure what being cute means other than over age 50 and able to walk and stand !!]
  • ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    It makes me uncomfortable because I don't always see myself as someone else sees me. Internally, I'm analyzing if they are saying it because they mean it or saying it to be sarcastic. So, I just usually smile and say thank you while my brain works overtime.

^ This. Except, because I have the adaptive social skills of a neanderthal, I usually just say, "What?", and then proceed to frown rather intensely. Me accepting a compliment is like the process of getting a machine to accept a wrinkly dollar note, and both parties just end up frustrated. And I blush within 0.0005737721 seconds flat, so that certainly helps.
  • newjeanbean
    newjeanbean Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Usually say, "Hey, thanks!" and give a big grin. Unless I'm with my sister and they tell me, "Ohh, I thought YOU were the younger sister." Then I just roll my eyes, hahah.
  • UltimateTrashBae
    UltimateTrashBae Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Depends. If they complement my body, I ignore them. If they complement my clothes, I say thank you and feel stylish.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I say Thank you!!
  • RoseyDgirl
    RoseyDgirl Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Well, I think that's a route of one of my issues. I was a really cute kid, and also really shy. People would comment on my dimples and I'd want to crawl under a table to hide myself.

And, it has taken a long time to get used to the random compliment so that I don't blush and look for a hiding spot... :)

But of late, I've received more attention because of the significant change in appearance and I'm becoming used to it. So now I Smile, and say thank you. (I must be less shy... or the weightloss is causing an increase in confidence.)
  • AnthonyThrashD
    AnthonyThrashD Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I flip them off and say "Quit messing with me!"
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    JenAndSome wrote: »
    JenAndSome wrote: »
    BFDeal wrote: »
    Never gotten one. Don't see it happening anytime soon. Women don't randomly compliment guys unless they're really fit and good looking. It's a thing.

This is not completely true. I compliment guys if they have something that stands out about them, like a great shirt or a dapper mustache. I think I'm going to make it a point to randomly compliment guys more often.

Wow, that is really great of you to start doing that. I'll second that I don't get complimented, but I'm not exactly good looking (yet) anyway. There was once I was talking to a woman, hanging out with a group at a bar and talking politics (to each their own, right?). We had seen each other around a few times, but didn't really know each other well. I knew we had that in common, and she had complimented me so I thought she might be interested in dating (because otherwise women don't ever compliment men, right?). I was kinda hitting on her back. She later sent me a message and basically said she was not at all interested... she just had sensed I was feeling down and was trying to cheer me up.

That may be why women are less inclined to compliment. They may want to be nice, but not have the guy read too much into it.

Yes, I can believe it. If most women complimented men regularly, it would be different, though. One woman will not be able to change that single-handedly, and will become another victim of misunderstanding.
  • fobs13
    fobs13 Posts: 1,080 Member
    Options
    Say thank you. If a person is kind enough to give a compliment then its only manners to accept it graciously.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I say thank you, and I am happy.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Like the title states, how do you react when a person be it from the same sex or opposite sex just randomly compliments you?

Do you like it?
    Do you think they are crazy?

What is your honest reaction?

If it seems genuine, or at least is nothing weird; I smile, say " thank you " and move on.

• siport
    siport Posts: 7,429 Member
    Options
    stalk them for the rest of the day ;p
  • itsthehumidity
    itsthehumidity Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    The other day I walked around New York for 10 hours and all I got were compliments. I didn't say a word or react at all.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    The other day I walked around New York for 10 hours and all I got were compliments. I didn't say a word or react at all.

I had thought about that, but wasn't going to bring it up. Please see my earlier comment about how there is a fine line between giving a compliment and being a jerk.

It is my opinion that a compliment should be given to benefit the receiver. In a situation where a guy "cat calls" in order to fulfill his own emotional needs, then it is being a jerk.
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Context is key.

Most compliments I attempt to be gracious and say Thank you.

But other times I see it as someone looking for an excuse to chat, interested in getting a new dress, or procrastinating... and I try to help them achieve their goals.

It only fails when I try to add humor to the situation.

Them: You have a beautiful smile.
    Me: Thank you. :With over the top modest look: Well... my parents DID get me braces.
    Of course, my Mom did pray that Sister #1 would have perfect teeth...and she did. The rest of us? She forgot. So she's also to blame!"

Or maybe it's oversharing that's my problem.

Either way, awkward.