Chinese buffet tomorrow night and I am dreading it

Options
13»

Replies

• uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    There are three ways to approach this.

1) You can go in there like a tank and just destroy your weekly calorie intake beyond repair. I mean, thousands of calories adds up really quickly at these places. You can plan to work it off over the next month or just ignore it and pretend it didn't happen.

2) You can go in there and eat a good amount of food but be very conscious about it. Say, 1000 calories over your limit for the day. You can build those 1000 extra calories into your workouts and deficit over the next week or two.

3) You can go in there and not eat very much of anything and probably feel a bit miserable. You might get pressured to eat and it will just be a socially uncomfortable situation.

I am someone who loves eating. I would take the 1 or 2 route. B)
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    PIG OUT!, just work it off before or after. pretty easy.

This is how I'd do it!!
  • mediamogulsteve
    mediamogulsteve Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Like others have mentioned, have small amounts of the things you're craving after you've loaded up with veggies and/or soup. Drinking water before will help too. If I don't eat a decent salad before going to a buffet, I don't have the discipline to eat small amounts of anything!
  • pdank311
    pdank311 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Just go enjoy it and don't guilt yourself. Think of it as fuel for the next workout.
    Aaannnd now all I want is a spider roll and shrimp fried rice. I might have to get in on this after my workout tonight.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    If it were me, I'd just go ahead and enjoy myself and get back on track afterwards. I don't think "staying on track" and "chinese buffet" make good bed fellows.

Basically, I do something like this and I'm making a conscious decision to basically let it all hang out. something like this would be pretty rare for me, so I'd just let fly...it's just one day and one meal.
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    JustAnotherGirlSuzanne Posts: 932 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Budget your calories leading up to the day. Drink lots of water. Try to take some unadorned veggies with each plate (and eat first) and/or don't fill your plate completely. Always be the last one to finish your plate and only go up to the buffet when someone else does as well.

This last one works well for me and I'll usually have at least one plateful less than everyone else. Oftentimes I can stay within my calories for the day.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Why would you overeat?....Enjoy the food but not so much that you will regret it do some extra exercise have one serving of the things you like and move on I would skip all beverages except water of course and say no to the rice its only a filler anyway.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    I love when ppl think you can just "work it off." um no, I would have to work out for 8 hours straight to burn that mess off. A normal workout only burns a small fraction of a pigout like that.

It is not difficult to burn an extra 7-900 cals. with 2-20 min HITT workouts.
    One early in the day, the other before going to supper.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I say embrace it! Gorge yourself and totally regret it (I'm not being sarcastic, this is what I would do). Realize that due to the salt and overeating, you will be bloated as hell the next day or two (may as well throw in 2-4 beers for good measure... again, I'm not at all being sarcastic). Then, work your butt off over the next week or two. In the end, you can ask yourself if it was worth it. For me, it often is. After two weeks of disciplined eating and exercise, you might decide it was not worth it. But life doesn't have to stop because you're trying to lose weight.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    I love when ppl think you can just "work it off." um no, I would have to work out for 8 hours straight to burn that mess off. A normal workout only burns a small fraction of a pigout like that.

It is not difficult to burn an extra 7-900 cals. with 2-20 min HITT workouts.
    One early in the day, the other before going to supper.

Yeah, people are talking about working it off OVER TIME. Like spread out your overage calories and eat at a smaller deficit over the next week or two... not burn 3,500 calories the next day at the gym. Not to be rude, but, DUUUUUUH!
  • ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Enjoy yourself, and try to stay from as much deep fried foods, and carbs as possible. Also, please throw your scale out the window for the next four or five days. Drink lots of water. Work out harder the next couple of days, and then drag your scale back in and weigh yourself after a few days, and then determine if you still need to work off the calories, now that the risk of retaining water is less.
  • SLHysell
    SLHysell Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Branstin wrote: »
    One day in 3 months isn't going to hurt you. Log it as best as you can and enjoy.

Agreed. Once in a while, it's ok to go crazy. The funny thing is, you'll probably find that you can't eat as much as you used to anyway. 3 months of a better diet can make big changes to your appetite and stomach capacity (Note: I have no idea of the science of this, but I do know it takes a lot less now days to make me feel full).
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    Jim Wendler of 5/3/1 suggests in his book...if your worried about over eating...drink a protien shake before the meal...maybe that will help!
  • AMRROL
    AMRROL Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Enjoy yourself! It's one outing that doesn't happen very often, so don't sweat it :)

This
  • AMRROL
    AMRROL Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I say embrace it! Gorge yourself and totally regret it (I'm not being sarcastic, this is what I would do). Realize that due to the salt and overeating, you will be bloated as hell the next day or two (may as well throw in 2-4 beers for good measure... again, I'm not at all being sarcastic). Then, work your butt off over the next week or two. In the end, you can ask yourself if it was worth it. For me, it often is. After two weeks of disciplined eating and exercise, you might decide it was not worth it. But life doesn't have to stop because you're trying to lose weight.

This
  • timrpm
    timrpm Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have a bit of an issue with craving bad food. Sorry to hear it.

I would go and enjoy it. The idea of having soup before and taking the edge off your appetite seems sensible.

Personally I'd do a HM or 10 mile run on a day like that then follow it with a 40 mile ride the next day. If you don't have those kind of resources to pull on then you ought to be a bit cautious with the food on the night.