Options
BBee5064
BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
Hi I'm a 50 year oldtrying to lose 50 pounds. Anybody got any tips

Replies

• Catnaper260
    Catnaper260 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am 52 and I have no tips but if you are interested in adding me you may. I have been on and off MFP, lost 16 pounds in 2013, but gained most of it back in 2014 due to eating to soothe myself through some personal losses this year. But, I am resolving to get back on track and take better care of myself. I find that in my 50's it is definitely harder to lose while going through menopause. Getting older just sucks.. lol Anyway.. good luck to you.
  • lizzyinbc
    lizzyinbc Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm 56 and have lost over 60 lbs over the last 3years. first I tried cutting out carbs which worked ok but was hard to maintain, then I got the WII game "my fitness coach" and started working out 3 to 4 times a week at home. I did a yoga class once a week to stretch out those sore muscles but mostly this game helped me a lot. I started doing 15 minute work outs and as my cardio improved I worked up to where I can now do 45 minutes no problem. WII also has some fun exercises on it if you dont have the "my fitness coach" disk, and you can customize it to the ones you are able to do. As I saw results I was encouraged to continue. My final step was a year ago I joined a boot camp fitness class and they told me about my fitness pal ap which I then started using and this combination of intense workout & counting calories is working really well for me and I feel way younger than my actual age. I am probably in the best shape of my life so far. I have now uped the yoga to a 75minute hot power class once a week which is helping to build strong muscles that I need for the bootcamp. I am now really into fitness for the first time ever! I was quite chubby as a child & teen ager and also put on quite a bit of weight in my 30's and 40'sand tried the diets, the gym, curves etc. but none of it was effective - I would always end up gaining back any weight I lost.
    In conclusion, try the WII game, its in your home so you don't have to worry about how you look and you are ony doing it for 15 minutes or so at a time in the beginning so its easy to fit into your schedule and as you see results you will be encouraged to keep on going. Good luck to you - I know you can do it!
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    Hi busybee. If you stay at a calorie deficit you will lose weight. Make sure you log everything everyday. Good luck.
  • glingles
    glingles Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 57 and just getting started her. I gained 40 pounds in the last 4 years and most of that was emotional eating. Nighttime eating, overeating to soothe myself. HA what a joke that was. There is no soothing oneself when you get on a scale and see that the 'soothing' you thought you felt has turned into self-loathing and shame. Make NO mistake, there is nothing soothing about stuffing your face when you're anxious, scared, or lonely - or feeling defeated. All this has done for me is make me want to give up and never get started facing my eating demons. It's become a vicious circle of self defeating behavior and negativity.

I just started listening to Marianne Williamson's "A Course in Weight Loss" which takes a spiritual approach to feeling soothed and loved through God. I am NOT a religious fanatic, but do believe we are all connected in some divine way. I have read a bit of the course in miracles years ago and it resonated with me. The more I examine my self inflicted wounds (aka emotional eating) the more I see it is tied to OLD OLD stuff that has become a cesspool of bad habits clinging for dear life and taking me down.

I am interested in staying in touch with this 50+ plus group and thank you for your presence!
  • killoranc
    Options
    Hi, I am 53 and like most I lost and gained too many times. I too gained 40lbs after losing it 2 years ago through carb cutting and a lot of exercise. Menopause came which didn't help. I started watching calories today and hopefully can get 20lbs off so I can start feeling like I want to go back to the gym. Here's to all of us.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I've got a million tips. But i'm getting weary of repeating myself. I've been at all this year and have lost almost all i need to lose.

Here's a few simple brief tips for now.

Vegetables vegetables vegetables, eat loads and fruit.
    Eat fruit instead of all other sweet foods
    If you have a problematic sweet tooth, abandon all sugar except about once a month when you can have one portion of dessert. Committing to something like this will keep you on the path and give you room to change over to a healthy eating life style.
    Cook and make your savoury food taste great.
    Forget about exercise until you are ready for it. Just be generally active through your day.
    Weightloss is 80% diet.
    Don't go low fat. Healthy fat makes food taste good and does not cause weight gain when eaten in sensible quantities. Low fat makes food taste poor and encourages unhealthy food additives such as sugar and salt.
    Reduce your white carbs.
    Increase your protein 1gram per kilo of body weight is the recommended goal. Aim for about 20grams per meal. It doesn't have to be meat.
    Use cheese nuts and seeds to jazz up meals.
    Don't starve yourself. Avoid hunger and avoid over eating.
    don't cut calories drastically.
    Use a TDEE calculator and aim for a loss of 1 pound a week even at the beginning. This makes it easy and you'll be surprised how fast the weight goes.
    Alcohol is fine but some are better than others. Do not drink more than 2 glasses on any one day.
    GEt plenty of sleep.
    Resolve stress and mood issues quickly. Get professional help if the problem threatens to derail your diet. Mood management is key to weight loss and maintenance.

Alright, that's quite a lot. I hope you can take it on board.

one more.

Weightloss is a reward and should be made easy if you want long term success. Enjoy your journey. Don't make it a chore or a deprivation. Embrace healthy food and good eating.

• BBee5064
    Options
    Thanks to all for their positive replies. I will keep you all posted on my progress. I hope you all will do the same. Have a good week everyone :)
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I'm 52, and I've lost 124 over the last two years. By using this site, counting and eating the correct amount of calories and you will be successful.
  • ellie0213
    ellie0213 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I'm 52 and have lost 20 of the 44 I want to lose. Three step plan-- easy. Feel free to add me.
  • BBee5064
    Options
    Hi all, it's end of Monday
    I managed to have a good calorie day. Didn't get much exercise. Going to try harder tomorrow.
    How have u all got on today?
  • rbrankamp
    rbrankamp Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm 54 and working on the same 40 pounds for the past 3 years. Lost 30 with WW and promptly put it back on when I stopped journaling and exercising. Moved to FL a year ago and really want to be fit. I need to get this to be a lifestyle.... not a diet.

Need to ask a silly question. Some of the responders here said "feel free to add me". Since I'm new to this site.... is there a place to "add" or is it just the lingo for Count me in the Over 50 club? Look forward to accountability.
  • heart2health
    heart2health Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm 55 yrs old and hoping to make it to see my 56th b/day. In July I had two heart attacks literally 3 days apart while on a business trip out west. No major medical issues leading up to the first other than high blood pressure. After the second one, I stayed in the hospital for almost 3 weeks and have a total of 3 stents.

Now that I've got that over and done with, as I don't want to focus on medical issues, the reason I joined MFP is to be accountable for everything that goes in my mouth and losing weight. So far I'm down 32 lbs, with restricted exercise. The cardiologist has suggested that I get down to around 129lbs so still a long way to go but definitely on the way.

Food restrictions are slightly different being that no saturated fats, no salt or sugar and little to no meat. This has to be a lifestyle change for me and I won't be using the word "diet" again.

Count me in the Over 50 club !!

• heart2health
    Options
    Is there an official "group" to join or is this just a thread?
  • rbrankamp
    rbrankamp Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks to busybee for friending me and already (probably unbeknownst to her) helping me to feel accountable and motivated. Love to have more Friends too. Just knowing I'm not alone in this makes a large difference.
  • heart2health
    Options
    Today the Over 50 Group was formed. Go to Groups and search Over 50 or answer the invite sent to everyone on this thread. Busybee will be co-chairing the site.
  • KatnID
    KatnID Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I would like to join this group.
  • BBee5064
    Options
    Exciting now to be part of the over 50 group. please feel free to mention to all who you think would benefit from this group.
    Have a great day everyone
    As heart2health mentioned go to groups & search over 50 & join today
  • BBee5064
    Options
    hi everyone, hope you are all having a great day :)
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    busybee5064, I'm 50 and I have 50 pounds to lose. I've lost some and gained some back and now I'm losing some again. I believe the key is to follow the MFP program of tracking calories and exercise, and watching your macros (carbs, calories, protein, etc.). I've found for myself that I do need to be very careful to limit my carbohydrates and my sugars and to avoid fast food and junk food.

Good luck to you. Please feel free to add me as a friend if you would like. Friends and encouragement are very important on this journey. lessismoreohio
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Patttience wrote: »
    Weightloss is 80% diet.

This is so true