When is it ok to delete friends?

Options

Replies

• yasminroseee
    Options
    I deleted a lady once for constantly updating everyone on her relationship problems. If I wanted to see stuff like that, I would have reopened my Facebook account :p
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    when I don't like them anymore, or they annoying, or they're constantly eating junk food and complain they gain weight, get obsessively whiny, or just all around I don't want to be their friend... Maybe that's why I don't have any friends :laugh:
  • Terrytriesharder
    Terrytriesharder Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Excessive negativity or being inactive for longer than a year.
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Well, if they're negative in any way to you, then delete them. I honestly don't care enough to friend/delete anyone.. and if I am deleted, then that's fine. If I am friended, then I try to support you with likes, but I am a socially awkward person you see, I don't really know how to comment on posts, so I don't 99.9% of the time.

I have it set up where nothing posts to my feed. I feel better about it that way, so there's nothing for anyone to see/like/comment on.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I have deleted friends for a wide variety of reasons.
    1 - the "i know everything about weight loss and you need to listen to me" person (yeah he knows who he is)...especially when they dont stop harassing you to follow their plan.
    2 - disordered eating individuals
    3 - people who I have made a direct effort to send a like or comment every once in a while, and I get NOTHING in return
    4 - people who post too damn much about stuff that has nothing to do with weight loss. (Yeah, once in a while is okay...but if my MFP starts looking like FB - Your out!)
    5 - People who do not log on for 30 consecutive days
    6 - If I just notice we have nothing in common...and I feel like sweeping through my friends list, I may just have to cut you.

I have gone and at one point deleted EVERYONE off of my friends list. I found it was nice to just start fresh. I find it nice to not have to feel obligated to care about others, just to come and read the forums and do what I got to do.

Its about me, not making friends.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    I never consider myself to be rude on here... not really. But quite a few people think I am. But then... what they call rude, I would call honest and to the point. I am allowed to be that way if you ask me.
  • sseqwnp
    sseqwnp Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    bmalone62 wrote: »
    Everyone seems to have different opinions about deleting them when they aren't active but just curious, do you delete them for other reasons as well? Do you delete them when you feel they are rude? How about the ones that log in and are doing great but never support you with even a simple “like" on your progress?

You delete them when I tell you to delete them.

• rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Meh, whenever. It's your account.

I deleted a few who hadn't logged in for MONTHS, and I deleted one this morning who had deactivated her account. (Sad, but whatchagonnado?)

Mostly I don't care, though.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I delete friend collectors (last one had over 1,000 friends), people who follow VLCD's, and people who have been inactive for a long period of time.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    People who don't comment on anything, are not logging, or are starving themselves.
  • Why not just make an independent decision? Just sayin', delete them for the reason you decide, not what MFP suggests.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Whenever you like... It is really up to you.
  • conita667
    conita667 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    excessive dramaaaaaaaa!!!!!!! it really annoys me. I'm on ... cals and I don't drop any weight, I'm tired of exercise, of not eating, of everything. Well, I'm tired of YOU.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    the very instant you feel like it.
  • DragonShoe_GCole
    DragonShoe_GCole Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Whenever you like... It is really up to you.

/thread
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Best to do it before they do it to you i find
  • AliciaStinger
    AliciaStinger Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I tend not to delete people who stop logging in, I know I've disappeared for a while and been happy when I came back and still had friends. No skin off my nose to keep them on there.

I delete for rudeness, eating disorder behaviour, excessive drama or fundamental incompatability (whether it be diet or otherwise related).

This pretty much describes me. I don't delete people for not logging in because I'm always happy to have the kind of understanding friends who are there when I come back.

I delete people who are rude or gross. I accepted a friend request from a guy who commented on a friend's post. He seemed funny and dedicated to his health, so I thought he'd be a good friend. Within a couple of weeks, he had asked me how old a guy I'd date (I was 22 at the time, and he was 65 or 66). After that, he changed his profile picture to a close-up of himself in a tight pair of underwear. I don't have a problem with him doing what he wants on his profile, but I wasn't interested in his personal questions or the outline of his sausage and eggs.

I don't like excessive drama; everyone has trouble at sometime or another, and I always try to support or cheer people up when they "vent" in a status - but starting fights, antagonizing, being mean to my friends, talking crap, and raising my blood pressure are unwelcome traits in a friend. Thankfully I haven't had any friends like that on MFP.

The other thing I won't do anymore is keep people who consistently eat below 1,100 calories. (In an attempt to control her illness, mom eats the same 1,197 calories most days of the week, so I understand that some people might have different situations.) I once friended someone who I knew had an eating disorder, hoping I'd be able to help her or convince her to get help. She's a wonderful person, and thankfully, she did end up getting help, but watching her net NEGATIVE calories on a regular basis (after exercise) terrified me, so I wouldn't friend request someone if I knew the person was starving him/herself.

I have a really great group of funny and dedicated friends. With the exception of that one guy who loved showing off what he's got, I haven't ever deleted (or wanted to delete) anyone on MFP.