Replies

• Peg4Jesus7
    Peg4Jesus7 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    canoepug wrote: »
    Whats so bad about 50% protein ?

It's overkill and completely unnecessary.

What if someones on keto ? I realise the op isn't.

Keto should be a high fat diet. Not protein.

There is a variation of keto called Optimal Ketogenic (OKL Living is a MFP group, and Optimal Ketogenic Living on Facebook) that is lower in fat than most keto diets. The idea is for your body to switch from burning sugar (hence the low carb part) to burning fat. But you want your body to burn your own stored fat more than eaten fat. So it's lower/moderate fat until you lose the body fat that you want to, then you can raise your fat intake.

They have a chart on the Facebook group to help set macros; I don't know if I can post it or not but I'll try.
  • Peg4Jesus7
    Options
  • Peg4Jesus7
    Options
    Peg4Jesus7 wrote: »

There is a variation of keto called Optimal Ketogenic (OKL Living is a MFP group, and Optimal Ketogenic Living on Facebook) that is lower in fat than most keto diets. The idea is for your body to switch from burning sugar (hence the low carb part) to burning fat. But you want your body to burn your own stored fat more than eaten fat. So it's lower/moderate fat until you lose the body fat that you want to, then you can raise your fat intake.

They have a chart on the Facebook group to help set macros; I don't know if I can post it or not but I'll try.

They also recommend eating at least 30 grams of protein per meal, and only eating 3 meals a day (no snacks), with 4-5 hours between meals, to help keep blood sugar levels more stable. Hope this helps! :)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    lol, this thread got resurrected for keto silliness.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Seems like it's still high fat, just not as much (and I'm not criticizing that, I think the only alternative would be super high protein which seems unnecessary and counterproductive if you are doing keto).

The protein recommendation under that plan for me would apparently be at least 91 grams or 20%, depending on the source (I do 30% now), so pretty moderate protein. The fat would end up at around 75% of calories, which seems quite high fat (again, if that what works for you, no criticism from me). I understand that some keto plans are more skeptical of protein because it can kick you out of keto.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Lower in fat, yes, but still high fat.