Food Sabotage At Work

Options

Replies

• mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    Love the reference to Beastie Boys. :)

Several songs can be added to this thread: Fight for your right, Lighten up, So What’cha Want.
  • mattyc772014
    Options
    “I’m as cool as a cucumber in a bowl of hot sauce.”
  • leiann2003
    leiann2003 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Bring your own healthy snacks, chew gum, suck on sugar-free hard candy & drink lots of water!
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    That's not sabotage. People do sometimes try to sabotage a dieter, but that's just do-workers bringing in treats, which is nice and thoughtful, IMO.

Don't look at is not being able to have it. Look at it as your choice. You have chosen not to eat the junk. Be proud of that choice. Think about how you're being good to your body. Feel lucky that you no longer eat things that aren't good for you.

After a while, it gets easier to turn these things down. You may even get to a point where you're honestly glad and proud of yourself. :)
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I bring grapes, an apple and a Quest bar to work with me everyday. I try to eat that. If there's something else here that's equally as delicious and I really want, I eat it. So I go a little over 1 day, or I spend a little extra time at the gym. No biggie. Don't make it an everyday thing and you'll be fine.
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    slomo22 wrote: »
    I "accidentally" trip and knock the cake on the floor so that no one can eat it

But now that's a waste of perfectly good cake! Such a shame
  • mattyc772014
    Options
    I bring grapes, an apple and a Quest bar to work with me everyday. I try to eat that. If there's something else here that's equally as delicious and I really want, I eat it. So I go a little over 1 day, or I spend a little extra time at the gym. No biggie. Don't make it an everyday thing and you'll be fine.

Please let me know how the Quest bars taste. You can send me a message. Are they cardboard like, gritty etc? :)

• mattyc772014
    Options
    slomo22 wrote: »
    I "accidentally" trip and knock the cake on the floor so that no one can eat it

But now that's a waste of perfectly good cake! Such a shame

I know fellow employees that will still eat it. :)

• VWilson_Momoftwinsplus1
    Options
    I SO feel your pain on this. Mostly everyone in my office is overweight and out of shape. I mostly just look at my coworkers themselves, and I think to myself "I want to look better and feel healthy". This was how I won the battle today. The office event had tons of pizza, but I didn't eat a bite. I opted for the lunch I'd brought in today, and I sought out the healthy snacks to munch on.
  • IrisFlute
    IrisFlute Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    OP: Sometimes I just visualize that the plate of cookies / box of donuts had something really gross happen to it before it was put out on the counter. Or I imagine that it has bugs. Somehow I just make it unappetizing in my mind... then it's easier to resist the temptation.
  • bramble345
    bramble345 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I think i used to be one of the evil saboteurs! My kids love to bake with me, but i'll eat way too much if its sat around at home so once they've eaten all they want i offload the excess at work/on family/send it home with the kids friends if they're round >:)

I sympathise with you OP. I had to leave the office job to avoid everyone else's contributions to my spare tyre...i have v little willpower when someones fab home baking is sat within 6ft of my desk..........and i was bored.............and ooooh there are brownies left! go on then :D
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    You just don't eat it. Simple.

I used to bring all of my food in my 6pack bag which keeps it all cold at my desk. I never needed to walk into the kitchen unless I needed to use the microwave.

If people were offering food and I couldn't swing it would just turn them down. Most days I couldnt because I'd prelog all of my food for that day.

Many of the women in the office would be b*^%chy about it, because I'd say no. They eventually just stopped offering it all together. Many a time were they setting out trays of brownies, cupcakes, cookies, etc. And offering them while giving me a mean stare from across the room as I stared at my monitor, you know, working.

The only thing that sucks with this method is you will probably receive nasty comments "oh, you know she won't eat that!", or "Don't ask her if she wants to order out for lunch. She's on some diet". Etc. There will be days when you wish they would ask if you wanted to chip in for pizza. :(
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    It sure was hard resisting those goodies when I first started this a couple years ago. I hardly even notice them now. Once you start just saying no thanks, it gets easier and easier over time. Having healthy snacks on hand helped a lot in those early days. I still keep snacks in my desk, but I no longer feel like I must eat something just because I saw a glazed doughnut (my old nemesis). And, if someone brings something in that I feel is worth the calories, I have a some and make it fit. It's all about choice and personal accountability for me.
  • noexcusesjustresults2014
    Options
    If they fit your macros, consume at will, if not don't. Either way don't use it as an excuse because it is not a good one.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,691 Member
    Options
    It's NOT sabotage unless they are telling you it's less calories than it really is. It can be "enticing" to eat, but overall YOU make the decision to eat the food or not.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • nuvimi
    nuvimi Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Food sabotage implies that they are messing with your food to make it worse for you. Other people have lives too. They can bring in and eat whatever they want. You have to be the big girl and not eat it if it conflicts with your goals. What's next, credit card sabotage because someone brings in a purse from Saks that you can't afford?!
  • Solar07
    Solar07 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Tell yourself "I will let them all eat their pieces first". Then decide if you still want a piece. Most likely you will not. I myself work in an office and this is what I do. Usually after the junk is ate by my coworkers they are complaining about how they wish they didn't. Guess what I am always glad I didn't!! You will be too!! Hang in there and get pass the moment. Sometimes I think we say "yes" only to not be left out. I don't know about you, but I will be glad when weigh in time comes that I said "no".....The time of the weigh in will be my "YESSSSS" time!!!

I just started doing that, letting everyone get what they want first. If there still something left at the end of my shift, then maybe I'll have it. I work at a long term care facility, so families will be starting to bring in "goodies" for us for the holidays. It would be nice if we'd get a fruit basket instead of cookies.
  • Jesssamesssa
    Jesssamesssa Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    kbc7288 wrote: »
    It is so difficult to eat healthy at my office. Someone is always bringing in fresh homebaked goods, leftover halloween candy, birthday cake, etcetera. What are some ways that you've successfully navigated healthy eating while at work?

I dont eat it....
    They all know I dont eat that stuff but they bring it in anyway. Today, they brought in Starbucks coffee and pastries....I only had the coffee.