Food Sabotage At Work

Options

Replies

• shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I've spent 3 years in an office with 130 staff. There's a morning tea with cakes etc every time someone has a baby, a birthday, is leaving, has just started, got a promotion, or found the photocopying room. You get the idea. Not to mention the social club lunches once a month, the last one was pizza.

You know what I call this? LIFE. It's up to you what you put in your body, and what your end result will be. I bring my lunch every day. I grab a coffee and go talk to people at the morning tea's. I don't touch the food, ever. There are others who don't as well, it's fine. It's no different to going to family's place for afternoon tea for someones birthday. Yes thank you to a coffee, and ignore the food. Simples.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    So far today I've been offered a muffin, some lemon slice and a latte. I've said no to each. This isn't sabotage, it's life. Just because we decide to make a change doesn't mean we can expect others to change or that them doing the same thing they've always done is sabotage.

Keeping snacks in your desk, working a treat into your calories or simply saying no are all strategies to deal with the temptations. The one thing you can't do is expect others to change to suit you.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Just say no
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    kbc7288 wrote: »
    It is so difficult to eat healthy at my office. Someone is always bringing in fresh homebaked goods, leftover halloween candy, birthday cake, etcetera. What are some ways that you've successfully navigated healthy eating while at work?

By flexing my discipline and ignoring the stuff brought in.
  • dbmata
    Options
    slomo22 wrote: »
    I "accidentally" trip and knock the cake on the floor so that no one can eat it

I seriously hope that you're joking, it would take a special kind of jerk to ruin other people's enjoyment because he or she lacked willpower.......

To the OP....it's just a matter planning your food and sticking to the plan (your plan should allow you to have a little treat now and again, depriving yourself only makes things harder than they need to be)
    I'd fire anyone who did that.
  • dbmata
    Options
    sseqwnp wrote: »
    It is so difficult to eat healthy at my office. Someone is always bringing in fresh homebaked goods, leftover halloween candy, birthday cake, etcetera. What are some ways that you've successfully navigated healthy eating while at work?

All those things can be incorporated into a healthy diet. I don't understand the question.

For some people, unhealthy treats can be trigger foods. Speaking for myself, if I start nibbling on our receptionists' bowl of chocolates (mentioned above), I'll end up buying Oreos and Snickers from the vending machine.

What is unhealthy about chocolate?

authoritynutrition.com/7-health-benefits-dark-chocolate/
  • zeltoria
    Options
    Myrmilt wrote: »

I feel lucky - I work with all women who are relatively conscious of calories and treats, thus my office doesn't have that many. We have a bowl of candy up front that we all try to avoid to varying degrees of success.

So, beyond feeling happy about my office situation - advice wound be, avoid the break room like the plague, pretend the food from other peoples homes is contaminated, bring plenty of your own treats.

In the end, if you really want it, have it, but then really think about the flavor, texture, nutrient factors and decide if it is worth it the next time. Most the time if I do indulge, I am really picky, it has to be worth either the workout, the upset stomach, not eating something later. I love rich foods, but most the time I can't stomach them. If it's baked goods, I love those too, but most the office goodies are dry, over done, or just the run of the mill cookie. Meh, if I want a baked treat, it had better be awesome, fresh, buttery, and an existence. Candy is fine, but is it the really good stuff? If it's just the normal everyday candy, I will pass so I can have Belgian chocolate at a later date.

Right on sister !!!!!!
  • LumberJacck
    LumberJacck Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    This is why for my next job, I'm going to just lie and say that too many carbs cause abdominal pain and frequent trips to the toilet. I just can't be bothered with all of the junk food in offices and subtle/non-subtle pressure to eat someone's home baked cooking.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Yeah, it's hard to say no thanks, I guess.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »
    Myrmilt wrote: »
    Sigh - existence was supposed to be experience. Auto correct is not my friend today.

Existence IS Experience.

and Experience IS Existence?

<3

Siddhartha? Siddhartha, is that you?? :p

And as long as we're being philosophical...

“To be is to do”—Socrates
    “To do is to be”—Jean-Paul Sartre
    “Do be do be do”—Frank Sinatra

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,671 Member
    Options
    My workplace is like this too. If the treats are near my desk, I will move them out of my line of sight. If I do partake, I break off a tiny bite size serving. That forces me to think about whether a second or third bite is really worth it.
  • shortnsassy1981
    shortnsassy1981 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I totally get it. I work with a ton of fresh out of college grads. Three of the guys on my team lift heavy ( one is a former team USA weight lifter and one a diver for the University of Florida) and eat like crazy because they work for it. It's hard to see them eating all kinds of fried yumminess. But, on my whiteboard I have the number of pounds left to lose. No one but me knows what that number means. I look at it when I'm tempted and ask myself if it's worth it. 99% of the time, the answer is no. When the answer is yes, I get my butt to the gym after work and put in the work that treat cost me.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I tell myself it's not as good as it looks! And I look over my goals and remember they're way more important than the "junky" whatever I'm wanting to eat.
  • Cheyenelikewyoming
    Options
    I work in an elementary school, so there is never any shortage of sweets, cakes, and treats. I tell people that too much sugar gives me a headache. I even tell the kids that when they are sweet and offer me sweets. (So now they bring me apples from the cafeteria - so cute). Plus if it helps, imagine someone picking boogers and then digging into the sweets. That helps too.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    sseqwnp wrote: »

All those things can be incorporated into a healthy diet. I don't understand the question.

For some people, unhealthy treats can be trigger foods. Speaking for myself, if I start nibbling on our receptionists' bowl of chocolates (mentioned above), I'll end up buying Oreos and Snickers from the vending machine.

What is unhealthy about chocolate?

authoritynutrition.com/7-health-benefits-dark-chocolate/

Nothing. Not a thing. Clearly you didn't read my posts.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    The amount of sadness in this thread is overwhelming.

I don't think it's sad to learn self-control. Lack of self-control is what got me morbidly obese. That's sad.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    By not eating them?

This should not have been flagged!!

• mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    My office has stuff like that every single day. Multiple items.

I just don't eat them.

Unless I want something, but I often have my own food with me.
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    KylaDenay wrote: »
    Just say no!

....or make it fit

This.