Self hatred info I learned today

Options
1235»

Replies

• llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, but I am pretty familiar with this topic because it's one I've been dealing with for decades. I already know that decreasing my body fat percentage will not bring me happiness because I don't like my physical appearance.

I have reached a healthy weight in the past and was not happy with my body image, so whatever size I am doesn't matter--- I will still generally be unhappy.

It's funny because I wasn't aware of my abnormalities until I lost weight the first time and people here and there started pointing them out to me [so it's not just something that I noticed]. I really genuinely was unaware. Now, I can't help but notice them. All I can do is try and fight the good fight every day.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, but I am pretty familiar with this topic because it's one I've been dealing with for decades. I already know that decreasing my body fat percentage will not bring me happiness because I don't like my physical appearance.

I have reached a healthy weight in the past and was not happy with my body image, so whatever size I am doesn't matter--- I will still generally be unhappy.

It's funny because I wasn't aware of my abnormalities until I lost weight the first time and people here and there started pointing them out to me [so it's not just something that I noticed]. I really genuinely was unaware. Now, I can't help but notice them. All I can do is try and fight the good fight every day.

What "abnormalities" are you talking about?
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    stephyj528 wrote: »
    "you cant hate yourself happy, you cant criticize yourself thin, you cant shame yourself wealthy. real change beings with self love and self care." ~Jessica Ortner

WHOA

i rarely steal quotes, but Im totally jacking this from you.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    bump
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Patttience wrote: »
    You should not go looking for people who might be self-loathing. But the obvious way to know if someone has issues with these sort of feelings is if they say a lot of punishing negative sounding things about themselves. Don't be quick to jump on someone says something like oh i'm stupid. Everyone says stuff like that. But people who are self loathing say very strong stuff about themselves to themselves and often. Whether they say it out loud in a gym or similar is hard to say. Many people keep these feelings to themselves.

I think as a fitness instructor you should not get into this business of directing people at all on psychological matters unless they confide in you that they are struggling with depression anxiety or self esteem issues. Or if a person looks really sad, you could ask them if they are ok and you can say you are concerned about them. They might then open up and then you can suggest they get professional help. If they brush you off, there's nothing much you can do. Don't pay too much attention to them. They might come and talk to you another time if they perceive you to be a supportive person.
    Psychology isn't my profession nor something I'm trained in, so I wouldn't even bother with trying to treat someone. What I'm trying to learn is how to spot it more accurately so I have an idea of steps to take if it's something I run into.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

It's great that you are trying to be more aware of this.

I am not a fitness professional, but I have come across a few people like this in my work as a teacher. The thing that seems to make the most impact for someone with self-loathing traits is to really listen and to assure the individual that s/he is worth the effort.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Patttience wrote: »
    You should not go looking for people who might be self-loathing. But the obvious way to know if someone has issues with these sort of feelings is if they say a lot of punishing negative sounding things about themselves. Don't be quick to jump on someone says something like oh i'm stupid. Everyone says stuff like that. But people who are self loathing say very strong stuff about themselves to themselves and often. Whether they say it out loud in a gym or similar is hard to say. Many people keep these feelings to themselves.

I think as a fitness instructor you should not get into this business of directing people at all on psychological matters unless they confide in you that they are struggling with depression anxiety or self esteem issues. Or if a person looks really sad, you could ask them if they are ok and you can say you are concerned about them. They might then open up and then you can suggest they get professional help. If they brush you off, there's nothing much you can do. Don't pay too much attention to them. They might come and talk to you another time if they perceive you to be a supportive person.
    Psychology isn't my profession nor something I'm trained in, so I wouldn't even bother with trying to treat someone. What I'm trying to learn is how to spot it more accurately so I have an idea of steps to take if it's something I run into.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

It's great that you are trying to be more aware of this.

I am not a fitness professional, but I have come across a few people like this in my work as a teacher. The thing that seems to make the most impact for someone with self-loathing traits is to really listen and to assure the individual that s/he is worth the effort.
    Absolutely. Sometimes positive re-enforcement may redirect them.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png