Self hatred info I learned today

Options

Replies

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm sharing too much info, but.

I wasn't able to start the weight loss process until I got my depression under control. It was only then that I decided that I was worth the effort it took to get healthier.

I have a lot of self esteem and self worth issues (relating to an abusive past). Around 6 months into my weight loss journey I realized that while I was better depression wise, I was at a point where I needed help liking myself, or else the rest of this journey was for nothing - because it's never been just about my weight, but my whole self. I would look in the mirror and see my new body, but I couldn't accept that it was good enough, and I couldn't appreciate that I'd lost over 50 pounds, or that I could do the splits, or touch my toes. So I started talk therapy. It's done wonders for me.

Some things I have to do:

No thinking n't or 've words. So no couldn't, shouldn't, would've, should've, etc - they are anxiety words for me, and they trigger bad feelings about myself. There's no use dwelling on what's done.

I'm only allowed to speak to myself internally in a way I'd speak to my children. So no berating, no criticizing, and no degrading.

I have to also allow for the possibility that when people compliment me, that they are right. So if someone says "you're so pretty", I say "thank you!" and allow those words to be the truth, rather than thinking "well that's because I put make up on today".

Some things I was doing that might have been a signal to those that were close to me: brushing off compliments regularly, calling myself names in a seemingly joking way, self deprecating humor, comparisons to other people (and not even necessarily body/appearance), off hand comments about being fat that had no place in the conversation, and ridiculous criticisms of myself (like, my legs are too lumpy, or my boobs look like udders, or my toes are too fat).

I hope this helps. I'm still in the process of learning that I'm worth it - all the wonderful things in my life - I deserve them.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    learning to accept compliments is a wonderful first step. It's thanking someone for the gift of a positive view of YOU, from the outside!

Brushing off compliments comes from the terror of being seen as a vain and self-centered girl, which is something many of us struggle with. But compliments are given because a person gets happiness when they are moved to say something kind and actually open their mouths and share that with you. Brushing it off squashes all that positivity and grinds it on the sidewalk.

Be classy like Audrey :D
  • ltssharon
    ltssharon Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I have major issues with this. I absolutely hate myself and I'm 4lbs away from my goal and I so know I'm not going to be happy when I get there. I want to lose more weight than that because my body still does not look the way I want it to even with exercise every day.

Aw. It is good you recognize this. Did you do something to cause this feeling? Was something done to you? All can be helped. Let someone help you, someone who you can trust to be nice to you.

• jessilee119
    jessilee119 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I have dealt with self esteem issues my whole life. I wasn't the popular one in school and, until late middle school, I was the one they got a laugh out of (the only reason it stopped was because they saw I didn't care anymore). It caused me to have a poor self image of myself. It wasn't until high school that I was happy with myself; I was a healthy weight and I didn't have a lot of friends, but the friends I had were my best friends. But, I still lacked confidence in certain things that I did. I went to one of those small schools where a lot of people I went to kindergarten with were the same people I graduated high school with. I didn't get a fresh start at any time. I actually met my husband in high school, but he didn't go to that district his whole life so he didn't know me from before or how I was picked on when I was younger. He's never had issues with self esteem aside from the normal feelings people have during puberty. To this day he doesn't understand how I can have issues with confidence and self esteem. It's hard to explain to him too because it's not like a switch that can be turned off. I can tell myself how I should feel and think, but that isn't going to necessarily happen.

When I tried losing weight before my pregnancy, I was losing weight but still crying when I looked at myself in the mirror because I was trying to be patient with my body but was still depressed about allowing myself to gain so much weight after high school. I would frequently look in the mirror and call myself a fat f***.

But something happened after I had my son. I'm not happy with my weight, but I'm happy with me. I'm being patient with my body and I keep going forward. I might be losing weight more slowly than some, but I know I'm making life long changes and I know I refuse to look back. I have more confidence now and even though it's not perfect 100% of the time, I can honestly say I can't remember the last time I called myself those horrible names. I don't let my inner demons take over anymore and it's made my life that much better. I used to say how lucky I was to have a wonderful husband and family, but I worked for that family so it's not all luck - I need to give myself credit too.

Sorry this was so winded, but I wanted to give my story in case if it helps. So, in short, thank you for wanting to understand this aspect of a person's journey. Any help you can offer someone will hopefully make their journey easier and more fulfilling.
  • jessilee119
    jessilee119 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Oh, and yes, having a better image of myself is helping the weight come off easier. The harder I was on myself, the harder it was for the weight to drop.
  • DevilsNegu
    DevilsNegu Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I have dealt with self esteem issues my whole life. I wasn't the popular one in school and, until late middle school, I was the one they got a laugh out of (the only reason it stopped was because they saw I didn't care anymore). It caused me to have a poor self image of myself. It wasn't until high school that I was happy with myself; I was a healthy weight and I didn't have a lot of friends, but the friends I had were my best friends. But, I still lacked confidence in certain things that I did. I went to one of those small schools where a lot of people I went to kindergarten with were the same people I graduated high school with. I didn't get a fresh start at any time. I actually met my husband in high school, but he didn't go to that district his whole life so he didn't know me from before or how I was picked on when I was younger. He's never had issues with self esteem aside from the normal feelings people have during puberty. To this day he doesn't understand how I can have issues with confidence and self esteem. It's hard to explain to him too because it's not like a switch that can be turned off. I can tell myself how I should feel and think, but that isn't going to necessarily happen.

When I tried losing weight before my pregnancy, I was losing weight but still crying when I looked at myself in the mirror because I was trying to be patient with my body but was still depressed about allowing myself to gain so much weight after high school. I would frequently look in the mirror and call myself a fat f***.

But something happened after I had my son. I'm not happy with my weight, but I'm happy with me. I'm being patient with my body and I keep going forward. I might be losing weight more slowly than some, but I know I'm making life long changes and I know I refuse to look back. I have more confidence now and even though it's not perfect 100% of the time, I can honestly say I can't remember the last time I called myself those horrible names. I don't let my inner demons take over anymore and it's made my life that much better. I used to say how lucky I was to have a wonderful husband and family, but I worked for that family so it's not all luck - I need to give myself credit too.

Sorry this was so winded, but I wanted to give my story in case if it helps. So, in short, thank you for wanting to understand this aspect of a person's journey. Any help you can offer someone will hopefully make their journey easier and more fulfilling.

This is so my story too. Until your feelings about who u are change nothing else will make u happy.
  • Solar_Cat
    Solar_Cat Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'm only allowed to speak to myself internally in a way I'd speak to my children. So no berating, no criticizing, and no degrading.
    Lovely post! All of it, not just the part I quoted. Your honesty and intention really shine!

There's a potential problem (and a solution) with the perspective "I'm only allowed..." The problem is that it's not always so easy to control how we speak to ourselves internally. In fact it sometimes appears impossible. So we can get caught up in cycles of "No, I shouldn't criticize myself. No, I shouldn't criticize myself for criticizing myself. No, I shouldn't criticize myself for criticizing myself for criticizing myself." You get the idea. It never ends.

One solution is a technique that's been developed for millennia in Buddhism and elsewhere. It's called Loving Kindness Meditation or Metta Meditation. Practicing it regularly actually helps to cultivate and reinforce attitudes and behaviors that reflect loving kindness toward ourselves and others. This includes self talk.

For anyone interested, there's lots of material available online. Here's one place to start: http://www.buddhanet.net/metta_in.htm.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Solar_Cat wrote: »
    Lovely post! All of it, not just the part I quoted. Your honesty and intention really shine!

There's a potential problem (and a solution) with the perspective "I'm only allowed..." The problem is that it's not always so easy to control how we speak to ourselves internally. In fact it sometimes appears impossible. So we can get caught up in cycles of "No, I shouldn't criticize myself. No, I shouldn't criticize myself for criticizing myself. No, I shouldn't criticize myself for criticizing myself for criticizing myself." You get the idea. It never ends.

One solution is a technique that's been developed for millennia in Buddhism and elsewhere. It's called Loving Kindness Meditation or Metta Meditation. Practicing it regularly actually helps to cultivate and reinforce attitudes and behaviors that reflect loving kindness toward ourselves and others. This includes self talk.

For anyone interested, there's lots of material available online. Here's one place to start: http://www.buddhanet.net/metta_in.htm.

Thank you :)

The earlier part of my post states that I'm not allowed words like "shouldn't" - and your example is exactly why. There is no 'round and 'round self talk, because all I do is think the word "stop" - there are no apologies and no admonishments internally. I realize this approach won't work for everyone. Mental health is as varied and unique as our physical health.

I actually do meditate regularly as well - it's also helped a lot. As a mom, it's so important that I take time for myself and make myself a priority - not only for me, but as a way to show my girls, by my actions, that it's okay to do things just for you.
  • JagerLewis
    JagerLewis Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    When people hate themselves, they put on weight from the stress (cortisol), the anti-depressants, the drinking, the not caring what goes in the mouth. When they learn to love themselves again, they will be willing to lose the weight and will want to exercise. People can point them in the right direction, but they won't budge until their ready.
  • Stefinately1985
    Stefinately1985 Posts: 7 Member
    Options

The earlier part of my post states that I'm not allowed words like "shouldn't" - and your example is exactly why. There is no 'round and 'round self talk, because all I do is think the word "stop" - there are no apologies and no admonishments internally. I realize this approach won't work for everyone. Mental health is as varied and unique as our physical health.

I actually do meditate regularly as well - it's also helped a lot. As a mom, it's so important that I take time for myself and make myself a priority - not only for me, but as a way to show my girls, by my actions, that it's okay to do things just for you.

• Stefinately1985
    Stefinately1985 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Oops! didn't type!

Someone close to me tells me all the time to stop "should-ing" all over myself. Accept the things you cannot change and have courage to change the things you can!!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »
    I got reported for posting this because it's unkind to tell people that they wont be handed their self esteem when they reach goal weight, because it's something they have to cultivate along the way. We're supposed to be encouraging and we're supposed to tell people that losing weight fixes everything.
    I think this thread is about self hatred/self loathing, not self pity.

that was self-hatred.

• PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    My husband said this to me the other night: "You have to love yourself."

I scoffed at him, but he's right. Not that I'm sure how to get there when I've spent the last 27 years hating one thing or another about myself, and felt it reinforced by my peers on a regular basis in my youth.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    besaro wrote: »
    i am honestly shocked that any of this is eye-opening.
    There are so many logical answers to every problem, but there are many people who don't recognize they have one. You may not have any of the issues, but there are certainly people who do.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
    also, sometimes when you have the issue, you may not be gifted with the self awareness to realize you have an issue.

It seems in my *very* limited experience that people rarely seem to have one issue. It's more like a constellation of issues, often interconnected, and the person is going to have a hard time dealing with them all simultaneously, even if they are clear-minded about a) having them and b) knowing what to do about them.

It's hard watching people you care about self-destruct because they're caught in that kind of morass. And because they don't see it, or hate themselves enough that they think they deserve it, they won't let anyone help them.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    yoovie wrote: »
    Did he mention where martyrdom and modesty fit in with this? Sometimes I think that's what I see going on when someone either a) doesn't take care of themselves or b) self deprecates as a habit in public.

also dead on

I often hear friends of mine who are mothers talking about breaking their backs and spending every moment of every day spinning around their families and giving off lists of the things they sacrifice in order to do this, such as their health and their weight and their looks or some buzz like that, and it brings them positive attention. She's so selfless, what a perfect mother.

That hurts to see.

No mother is perfect and that's a good thing because we all learn from mistakes. And taking care of your heath will benefit your entire family. You don't have to kill yourself to be seen as a good mother. It's okay, I promise.

Could not agree more, although it is an unpopular opinion. Just last night on the news I caught the tail-end of some story and they said something like, "She always put her kids needs first before her own. She was such a good mom." Sorry, but in my mind those two things don't correlate. And I am a mom. I learned fairly early on that I had to TAKE time for myself, demand it, set the boundaries, and use it to the best of my ability. That made me a better person and therefore a more patient mom. (not in any way saying I'm perfect; FAR from it!)
    Since a majority of my clients are stay at home moms, I can say that the time they take with me is the time they usually say is "their time". I encourage them that the work we put in will pay off in the long run even though that time is about working out stress, labored breathing, and burning muscles from lactic acid build up. And to be honest, most of them look forward to it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
    Well the airplane crash mask story is one I usually use on other SAHM's like myself when I come across one who is being selfless to the point of being in danger of becoming nearly useless to her family/children.

Most recently a woman whose family had suffered a great tragedy went on for 20+ tearful minutes about that tragedy and how she worried so that it affected her children and how she kept checking in with their teachers. She couldn't see the forest for the trees. So after nodding for those whole 20 minutes I told her that her children might very well be as "alright" as they were telling her, or at least for now, but that right now, the 20 minutes of non stop crying might be hinting that SHE was not. Then I told her the airplane crash mask on yourself first story, then we went over where she was going and for what kind of help. Never thought my meager little once a month volunteer gig would put me in the middle of someone's crisis on my first day, but it did. Few weeks later she stopped me with a friend to tell me she had followed my advice and was feeling so much better now. She looked it. Time was a factor as well, time heals all wounds but this was a deep one.

So if you explain to your mom clients about the airplane mask, it's hard logic to turn away from. And it has shock value, it's not easily forgotten, and it's easy to remember.
  • vikdexkaykai
    vikdexkaykai Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I think as a fitness instructor you should not get into this business of directing people at all on psychological matters unless they confide in you that they are struggling with depression anxiety or self esteem issues. Or if a person looks really sad, you could ask them if they are ok and you can say you are concerned about them. They might then open up and then you can suggest they get professional help. If they brush you off, there's nothing much you can do. Don't pay too much attention to them. They might come and talk to you another time if they perceive you to be a supportive person.

[/quote]

He's not naming names. He's simply providing information he feels may help others. I for one thinks it's good info and food for thought. Something I'll def look into. To each their own really. :wink:
  • vikdexkaykai
    vikdexkaykai Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    when you are unhappy, you look to the find the reason why.

depending on how long you have been overweight, chances are you were bullied for a long period of time as a result. the younger, the more dangerous, as you aren't able to process the shame as a fault in the person bullying you, but more as a flaw within yourself.

you define your unhappiness as fat.

you work hard, lose the fat yet you are stunned because you are still unhappy.

i know most people are ecstatic when they lose weight - i was too. INITIALLY. once the high from the scale and the compliments died down, the anger/emotional pain was still very present. i changed my body, but not my mind. years and years of being put down due to my weight did wonders to my head. trust issues, self-loathing issues. intense anxiety.

and for years i blamed myself. after two years in therapy; however, i am beginning to blame the sad people that were so low in their life that they needed to hurt me. and it is hard, because i never had any anger with them before. so i work on forgiveness. and i work on acknowledging my anger and understanding that while it was very unfair the way i was treated, i am capable of a healthy, full life.

cliche moment of the day: what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Thank you for this! It actually made me tear up. I found some commonalities within your words.
  • Solar_Cat
    Solar_Cat Posts: 188 Member
    Options

That's great! Your report confirms my experience, that many folks simply don't know how to stop an unwanted train of thought unless they've done some kind of meditation practice. Thinking "stop" is wonderful if it works for you, but without the stable platform from which to observe thoughts that meditation provides, it may not be effective. It may just lead to the repetitive negativity I described. That's why I recommend meditation whenever someone says they're bothered by their thoughts.

I know that some will read this and think it's nothing but New Age jibber-jabber. Try it. It's actually as practical as can be.
  • stephyj528
    stephyj528 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    "you cant hate yourself happy, you cant criticize yourself thin, you cant shame yourself wealthy. real change beings with self love and self care." ~Jessica Ortner
  • DevilsNegu
    DevilsNegu Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm that girl who was self loathing. As a teenager I was skinny but not happy about my body. Now I think if I got back to that size that I would be happier. This has been a big barrier for me getting to be where I want to be. None of that can make a person happy. It has to come from inside and love our selves no matter what. I want to do this for ME. My whole way of thinking had to change. I still have those thoughts sometimes but I ignore them. I look instead to how I feel. No more aches and pains etc.