1234568»

Replies

• fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    fatcity66 wrote: »
    What do you think willpower is, exactly? Being able to go as long as possible without eating?
    The ability to keep oneself from acting out in a less than adult manner. Like I said. Whether you have it or not is immaterial, you aren't really demonstrating possession.
    People on this site love to jump and say "see a doctor" for everything. I see my doctor, and I had blood work done just a month ago. It was all good. I asked my doctor about having issues when I don't eat for a long period, and you know what he said? "Well, you probably shouldn't go that long without eating, then." So, do you know something my doctor doesn't? If so, maybe I should just go to you for all my health issues, instead of a doctor.
    Great willpower.

People say go to a doctor, because people ask stupid questions on this site, when instead they should be engaging their treatment team. Granted, a reason people don't see their doctors is that they want to be sick, so people can give them a shoulder, and a cry, and attention they crave but haven't earned. The other reason is that because a lot of people have no clue how to talk to a doctor, and generally forget basic things, like how to ask questions. At the end of the day though, if they don't engage their treatment properly, it's because they are choosing not to.

If you're going blind, and passing out because you haven't eaten for 8 hours. Go see a better doctor, and get a second opinion. Because that is not normal, and there is something wrong with anyone who has that happen to them. 8-12 hours is nothing, except for *maybe* an infant or a very young child.

After looking at your diary, your comment about me not having willpower seems hilarious. It's obvious now that I can justifiably disregard everything you've said. LOL Have a good one!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    What do you think willpower is, exactly? Being able to go as long as possible without eating?
    The ability to keep oneself from acting out in a less than adult manner. Like I said. Whether you have it or not is immaterial, you aren't really demonstrating possession.
    People on this site love to jump and say "see a doctor" for everything. I see my doctor, and I had blood work done just a month ago. It was all good. I asked my doctor about having issues when I don't eat for a long period, and you know what he said? "Well, you probably shouldn't go that long without eating, then." So, do you know something my doctor doesn't? If so, maybe I should just go to you for all my health issues, instead of a doctor.
    Great willpower.

People say go to a doctor, because people ask stupid questions on this site, when instead they should be engaging their treatment team. Granted, a reason people don't see their doctors is that they want to be sick, so people can give them a shoulder, and a cry, and attention they crave but haven't earned. The other reason is that because a lot of people have no clue how to talk to a doctor, and generally forget basic things, like how to ask questions. At the end of the day though, if they don't engage their treatment properly, it's because they are choosing not to.

If you're going blind, and passing out because you haven't eaten for 8 hours. Go see a better doctor, and get a second opinion. Because that is not normal, and there is something wrong with anyone who has that happen to them. 8-12 hours is nothing, except for *maybe* an infant or a very young child.

After looking at your diary, your comment about me not having willpower seems hilarious. It's obvious now that I can justifiably disregard everything you've said. LOL Have a good one!

Again, more proof. Eventually, you'll get over this tantrum.

You're trumping your 35. I've lost and kept more than that off. I also work harder than you. You have no clue, and obviously, no interest in your own health. Tsk tsk.
  • rererangi03
    rererangi03 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    If I were trying to limit myself to 500 calories per day, I would probably wait until late in the day to eat, so I could be thinking about what I would eat later instead of thinking about how I can't eat any more.
    - im on 1250 and actually without realizing it this is what i do
  • lowinfaye
    lowinfaye Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been trying the 5:2 Diet for 6 weeks now. I decided to give it ago as I suffer form Irritable Bowel Syndrome and thought giving my digestive system a rest might be worth a try. The first 3 weeks were a little difficult, as I have been doing 2 consecutive days (Sunday & Monday or Monday & Tuesday when I have had plans on a Sunday). The last 2 weeks I have done Monday & Wednesday. What I usually eat - Breakfast : Bannana or Oats with berries, Oat milk and a little Lactose free Youghurt - 120 Cal. Lunch : Cup of soup Tomato or Hartey Beff - 80 Cal. Dinner : 2 Boiled Eggs or 130g tin of Ham Baked Beans - 160 Cal. I also have 3 cups of Instant Coffee with a small amount of Milk - 40 Cal over the day and water. I am loosing about 1/2kg a week and feeling well. On the other days I find it quiet easy to eat smaller and healthier meals as I have found my cravings for bad foods has diminished. I have had a few weekends with Partys .. McDonals, KFC, Cake, Alcohol .. etc. It works for me and I will follow this eating plan for the rest of my life, it is easy to change days if you have special events. It is not only weight loss that is the point on this Diet, our bodies get a chance to rest and repair. I have listened to the 5:2 Fast Diet book by Dr Michael Mosley & Mimi Spencer, it is well worth a listen or read for the facts and various methods of this Diet. Hope this has been some help
  • purpleberry2
    purpleberry2 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    thanks lowinfaye! I actually have IBS also and that was another concern. I thought it might irritate my symptoms but it actually makes more sense that it would give the digestive system a rest lol

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Great willpower.

Wow. Uncool.

• Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Honestly? It's another fad diet which doesn't teach good long term eating habits.

I agree.

A woman who sits next to me at work talks about her 5:2 all the time.

It's far, far healthier to have a standard daily intake to either reduce weight or to maintain.
    This has been proved over and over again

Interesting.

A. "Standard daily intake to either reduce weight or to maintain" has abysmal long term success rates that have been "proved over and over again". Do you really want me to pull out the statistics that show ALL weight reduction efforts typically fail in the long run for most people?

B. Funny that you should suggest daily calorie variations is a "fad". One of the ways many "naturally thin" people maintain their weight effortlessly, without thought, actually mirrors a lot of intermittent fasting. As in some days they over eat and some days they under, just naturally, creating an equilibrium.

Looking back, the thinnest I was ever in my life, for the longest, was when I was maintaining my weight loss quite unintentionally by varying my caloric intake severely day to day, based solely off hunger cues. It's what I'd now called intermittent fasting, but never would have back then. And I was not even conscious of what I was doing.

Human beings have been following eating patterns that mimic IFing for thousands of years. I guess you're just not abreast of our actual food history? Hint: It didn't involve three squares a day.
  • zenner22
    zenner22 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if anyone is reading this thread anymore, but I found it interesting. I've been following 5:2 now for 2 months and I love it. I am more alert on my fast days. Hunger pains are minimal. I don't over-eat on my non-fast days, but I do eat what I want. I've been yo-yo dieting for 20 years and I've never felt this in control of my eating. I'm obese, but on my way out of that category. I log my food everyday in MFP because I think it's a wonderful tool.
  • fluffyasacat
    fluffyasacat Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    zenner22 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if anyone is reading this thread anymore, but I found it interesting. I've been following 5:2 now for 2 months and I love it. I am more alert on my fast days. Hunger pains are minimal. I don't over-eat on my non-fast days, but I do eat what I want. I've been yo-yo dieting for 20 years and I've never felt this in control of my eating. I'm obese, but on my way out of that category. I log my food everyday in MFP because I think it's a wonderful tool.

Well done Zenner22!

I've been on ADF for 114 days, but yesterday I had my first fast day with not a single hunger pang. Not one. It is so weird, I never would have though that fasting is the sort of thing you get better at.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Good for you, fluff. I think your thread in early Sept. got me started.

I did 12 weeks of ADF but this week I've decided to not have fast days. I feel like I need a diet break after hitting it fairly hard for 9 months. I may take the rest of Dec. off and come back refreshed in Jan. I may revise that plan depending on what my scale does.
  • flinx1241
    flinx1241 Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    I've been doing 4:3 for more than a year now ("fasting" on M/W/F), so a bit more than 5:2. First time I've found a setup that really seems to work for me. I'm closing in on 100 lbs lost, and have definitely gotten to where I look forward to my fast days, in some fashion. They just help me even out. Only really dealt with low energy issues for the first month or so, and since then there doesn't seem to be any measurable difference between my fasting days and my normal days.

Still, I am very aware that this is not a diet plan that appeals to everyone. While I do know a number of other persons who've found success with it (it's quite popular here in Austria), I also know at least a half dozen who gave it a whirl and didn't find it compatible to their lifestyle. I'm actually quite reticent to suggest it to others without a big list of disclaimers and specific suggestions.
  • fluffyasacat
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Good for you, fluff. I think your thread in early Sept. got me started.

I did 12 weeks of ADF but this week I've decided to not have fast days. I feel like I need a diet break after hitting it fairly hard for 9 months. I may take the rest of Dec. off and come back refreshed in Jan. I may revise that plan depending on what my scale does.

@WalkingAlong I feel quite humbled to have had something to do with your progress! I always look to your posts as a very measured dose of good research and lived experience. I'm keen to see how you rate your fasting break when you resume or revise in the new year.

flinx1241 wrote: »
    I've been doing 4:3 for more than a year now ("fasting" on M/W/F), so a bit more than 5:2. First time I've found a setup that really seems to work for me. I'm closing in on 100 lbs lost, and have definitely gotten to where I look forward to my fast days, in some fashion. They just help me even out. Only really dealt with low energy issues for the first month or so, and since then there doesn't seem to be any measurable difference between my fasting days and my normal days.

Still, I am very aware that this is not a diet plan that appeals to everyone. While I do know a number of other persons who've found success with it (it's quite popular here in Austria), I also know at least a half dozen who gave it a whirl and didn't find it compatible to their lifestyle. I'm actually quite reticent to suggest it to others without a big list of disclaimers and specific suggestions.

@flinx1241 Well done on your weight loss! Almost 100lbs is an incredible achievement, and to think you did it in a sustainable way without feeling deprived is a testament to the efficacy (for some!) of the IF method.

I know what you mean about looking forwards to your fast days. I also relate to being reticent to suggest it to others. Friends who have never struggled with weight are especially wary to accept that fasting intermittently doesn't necessarily denote an ED.
  • ricks200192117
    ricks200192117 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    DISTURBING TRENDS: I just started the 5:2 four weeks ago; I calorie count very precisely on both feast and fast days. I have gone over the 2400 calorie limit for men on three occasions. The week of my biggest over feasting (about a 1,000 calories = 3,400 net calories) day I still lost 3.3 pounds on my weigh in day. However, I did some minor calorie reductions on the rest of my feast days to compensate for pigging out on that Friday night sushi binge. I work out five days a week. Three of those days are intense weightlifting workouts, however, they're very short < 45min; I swim after lifting, anywhere from 10-15 minutes, and always on feast days. I weigh myself every Tuesday at noon; As of the third week I had lost 14.1 pounds.

My feast days consist of 4 eat whatever I want days; thus, as long as I don't breach the limit of 2400 calories I'm good. The fifth feast day is every Sunday; it is a low carb feast day, with a high carb breakfast of oatmeal mixed with brown sugar and a cup of whole milk for breakfast and then veggies, fruit, and fish/meat/poultry the rest of the day. My fast days are every Tuesday and Thursday; before every fast day is a high carb feast day. The duration of the fast, if one sleeps 6-8 hours the night before and after the fast day is 38-40 hours; NOT 24 hours! On fast days I do a 30 minute ride on a recumbent bike set to fat burning. Doing the short bike ride causes me to only burn fat because there are no carbohydrates for the body to consume. On fast days I eat no carbs at all, with the exception of the small amount of carbs in veggies. An interesting side note: While doing the bike I experience intense hunger. Hunger is a signal from your brain that you are dipping into your fat reserves and should eat. Therefore, every time you feel hunger the body, as a function of evolutionary adaption, is telling you to eat. Of course you don't so the body continues to burn fat.

Finally, I have read that some of you are super calorie restricting on feast days. I don't recommend this method because it's not sustainable for 98% of people. The 5:2 Diet is theoretically based on the eating patterns of hunter gatherers who were compelled by circumstances to fast. To deviate from the theory makes the 5:2 like any other gimmick diet and therefore sets the dieter up for failure. This is the disturbing trend I noted in the beginning; as a former research scientist in behavior I understand why most people can't stick to diets that altogether cut out certain foods like bread and the occasional sweet. That said, calorie counting makes you conscious of what you're eating and naturally alters your food choices. Thus, when faced with choice of the 1300 calorie slice of cheese cake and being heavily restricted for the rest of my feast day, I usually will opt out on the cheese cake. However, If I really want that cheese cake I'll eat it.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I love 5:2! I find it very easy and effective.

I function MUCH better on fast days than non fast days. My fasted runs are always significantly faster and longer. I am also able to lift more fasted than on regular eating days. My mind feels clearer as well.

I usually save all 500cals for the evening. Just because I think its easiest.
  • margiek411
    margiek411 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You should be thinking of changing your lifestyle, not a diet. Diets don't work. I am trying to change my lifestyle to eat healthier and exercise with the hopes of living a longer healthier life. This program tells you how many calories you are allowed to have to lose weight slowly and appropriately. Starving yourself to 500 calories is insane. I had one day like that and it was only because i was sick. You need a minimum of 1200 calories to do things safely.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    I'm more of 16:8 girl never been much of a morning eater. Tho I've considered 5:2 on my days off
  • PikaKnight
    edited March 2015
    Options
    margiek411 wrote: »
    You should be thinking of changing your lifestyle, not a diet. Diets don't work. I am trying to change my lifestyle to eat healthier and exercise with the hopes of living a longer healthier life. This program tells you how many calories you are allowed to have to lose weight slowly and appropriately. Starving yourself to 500 calories is insane. I had one day like that and it was only because i was sick. You need a minimum of 1200 calories to do things safely.

16:8 way of eating or 5:2 is a method of eating, not a starvation diet.

For 5:2, even if you are low on 2 of the days, that means the other 5 are higher to compensate. At the end of the week, you still are at the same deficit, maintenance, or surplus (depending on your goals) then if you had them equally spread out every day.

I think you didn't actually read the program or info all the way through.

I.E your calorie goal before 5:2 is set at 2000 a day.
    Weekly total calories = 14K

With 5:2, you'd be doing 2600 5 days a week and 500 cals for 2 days a week. Weekly total calories is still 14K.
  • PikaKnight
    edited March 2015
    Options
    shabaity wrote: »
    I'm more of 16:8 girl never been much of a morning eater. Tho I've considered 5:2 on my days off

I'm confused. 16:8 is just the daily time window you eat. 5:2 is a weekly layout with having higher calorie days 5 days a week and 2 really low days (as I said in my post above about still being at the same weekly deficit).

You'd still do 16:8 on your fast days for 5:2.
  • fluffyasacat
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    margiek411 wrote: »

16:8 way of eating or 5:2 is a method of eating, not a starvation diet.

For 5:2, even if you are low on 2 of the days, that means the other 5 are higher to compensate. At the end of the week, you still are at the same deficit, maintenance, or surplus (depending on your goals) then if you had them equally spread out every day.

I think you didn't actually read the program or info all the way through.

I.E your calorie goal before 5:2 is set at 2000 a day.
    Weekly total calories = 14K

With 5:2, you'd be doing 2600 5 days a week and 500 cals for 2 days a week. Weekly total calories is still 14K.

Some people just can't be bothered reading or thinking about it. I've given up defending my way of eating, I just do it and it works. 15kg lost and counting. Managing a 20% deficit by alternating 500 and 2500 calorie days.
  • gummybears700
    gummybears700 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Honestly? It's another fad diet which doesn't teach good long term eating habits.

It might work for you, but then so might just reducing your calories on a daily basis. Bluntly, if you struggle with daily accountability, then your issue isn't which diet you choose.
    I think having a few fast days could reset ur appetite thermostat which would just end up helping u eat less without even trying. I'm considering doing the 5:2 diet for a month just to get that reset so i can stop counting my calories but still eat below my maintenance, cos logging everyday just gets on my nerves and the nerves of everyone around me.