What Other People Think and Say... Why do you care?

Options

Replies

• Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    I live my life according to 2 "rules".

1) It's none of my business what you think of me.
    2) What you see is what you get. If you don't like it, bye. (edited verison)
    I DO care about whether or not a nurse will repeatedly take my damn blood pressure because no fat lady could POSSIBLY have normal blood pressure.
    Why?

Statistically overweight and obese people do have higher blood-pressure. The same way men are at higher risk for prostate cancer, and women are at higher risk for ovarian cancer.

It's science.

Why would you be offended that someone double-checked your medical condition to be certain you are healthy, and they are not committing malpractice?

I get offended when the nurse takes my temperature even though I'm not running a fever.
  • Noogynoogs
    Noogynoogs Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    :)
  • mystiquecal
    mystiquecal Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    After what I've gone through, I don't care any more about what others (strangers, too) think or say about me..
    The line to dislike me forms to the left. You might want to bring snacks.

Okay, I can do that.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I DO care about whether or not a nurse will repeatedly take my damn blood pressure because no fat lady could POSSIBLY have normal blood pressure.
    Why?

Statistically overweight and obese people do have higher blood-pressure. The same way men are at higher risk for prostate cancer, and women are at higher risk for ovarian cancer.

It's science.

Why would you be offended that someone double-checked your medical condition to be certain you are healthy, and they are not committing malpractice?

Because statistical information about a population does not tell you much about a particular instance. I am not the whole of fat women in their forties. I am an individual patient and would like my words to be believed.

I have had doctors look at ME and not my chart and lecture me about blood pressure, too. When I tell them to look at my chart, they ignore that unless my husband is in the room.

If you argue with my reported experience, you're kinda proving my point, too. *shrugs*
    I think you're missing my point.

By your own words, medical staff are forming opinions based on one-of-two criteria.

A. They're doing their job as medical professionals and accounting for your weight in their diagnosis; or,
    B. They're biased *kitten*-knockers.

If it's A. Great. They helped you and provided you with care and service.
    If it's B. Who cares, they're an *kitten*-knocker.

B: I kinda care about the medical care I get. My delicate widdle feelings aren't the point ;)

OT, but I know what you mean. I worry about being thought of as drug-seeking or unreliable by doctors once they know my medications. Not because of my feelings but because how it will affect my treatment.
  • Noogynoogs
    Options
    Life is too short. Have fun and a whole lot of drink upon the way.
  • Spnneil06
    Spnneil06 Posts: 18,745 Member
    Options
    I don't know why anyone cares what other people are doing. Don't like it?? Don't participate! Seems pretty simple! Have a nice day!
  • Noogynoogs
    Options
    Spnneil06 wrote: »
    I don't know why anyone cares what other people are doing. Don't like it?? Don't participate! Seems pretty simple! Have a nice day!

• Fruitylicious03
    Options
    I live my life according to 2 "rules".

1) It's none of my business what you think of me.
    2) What you see is what you get. If you don't like it, bye. (edited verison)
    Why?

It's science.

I get offended when the nurse takes my temperature even though I'm not running a fever.

I get irritated when I go to my doctor (sadly the only one in my little town) with an intestinal problem and he ALWAYS friggen checks my urine. :neutral_face: for goodness sakes, your bladder cannot cause intestinal infection!!!! They are separate things you idiot! *rant over*

Anyway. Normally when people say something "rude" to me I'm just like "Oh, okay." A while later they usually come back and go on about it. Then I'm like: "Oh really? You said that? I must've misheard you because I thought you were giving me a compliment and was about to praise your good manners..." --silence-- :wink:
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Noogynoogs wrote: »
    Love your humour. Are you British?
    Close. Hillbilly American.

you are funny :)

• Noogynoogs
    Options
    My views exactly - why concern yourself with what others think especially when you are calorie restricting lol
  • mystiquecal
    mystiquecal Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Ok. But you have to share.
    And give hugs.
    And bring money.

No prob.
    I only give out 5 hugs a day - just so you know.
    In what currency? :smiley:

• AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    The only thing worse than a lawyer is a lawyer with no billable work on his desk and no inclination to find any.
  • Fruitylicious03
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    Why do you wear a suit to a job interview?
    I don't. Senior partner with my own firm. :smile:
    Because you're worried about what the person interviewing you will think if you don't.
    Not so much.
    Everyone cares to some degree what others think. Sure, for some maybe the list of people is smaller (employers, potential sex partners, close relatives, God if you're into that sort of thing, etc.)
    I absolutely agree that there are qualifiers associated with this concept. I was speaking more to those to attempt to control others with words.

If someone insults you, or "puts you in your place," they're attempting to control you.

If someone shuns you and/or tells you that you cannot "speak" because they are offended by your words, they are attempting to control you.

When a spouse, boyfriend, girlfriend, family member verbally abuses you, they are attempting to control you.

My point is... stop letting people control you.

I agree..but it's not necessarily so much about what the interviewer would think as much as getting the job. When you are well dressed, the interviewer will put you into his little stereotypical category of "well-educated" people...wether you are indeed educated or not.

It's the same with qualifications. Person A can be massively intelligent...person B not so much. But he studies just enough to actually get a diploma. Person A has a higher IQ than person B, but has no diploma.

Person B gets the job. Because he has a diploma and person A does not even though A is smarter than B.

In the end, the only reason you try to impress the interviewer is to get the job.