How much do people pay for gym membership?

Options

Replies

• InnocentLunatic
    InnocentLunatic Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Also American here, but I pay $40 for a membership at my local gym, they are usually $60/month, but my brother and I both go so we got a discount. It's a small local gym, so there aren't any frills, and classes are extra, but the staff is helpful and don't mind helping you learn things if they're not busy with a class or a private training session.

As far as cheaper vs more expensive gyms go-- Remember if you get a membership for a cheap gym, but you don't actually go there-- you don't save any money compared to the more expensive gym you actually use.
  • amylbowden
    amylbowden Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    £44 per month, LA Fitness in central London - its a steal compared to other central London gyms which can charge £80-90, but it is quite small and basic.

Would recommend getting free passes to a few different gyms and trying them out at the time of day you intend to go - you can work out if you will like it there and if the equipment you intend to use is going to be in high demand at peak times!
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    We belong to Lifetime Fitness and pay $295 a month for a family membership for up to 7 people. There are 5 of us and 2 of our three kids are adults, so paying for separate memberships would be a lot more expensive. We love the club, our daughter goes happily because she loves the rock wall and spa, our sons love the place too. The free weight area is awesome with no waiting and there are more than enough cardio machines. We also use the pool a lot. Towels, shampoo, soap, hair dryers, etc, are supplied by the club. All of these things are probably not necessary for getting a workout, but for us they are the added incentive to get ourselves out of the door and to the gym to exercise as a family.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I pay $30 a month for a local chain (in Ohio). It's a mile and a half from my house (which I would walk to, but it's a hilly road with no sidewalks), and since it used to be a women's-only gym until they built into the old Bally's we had, they have a separate section of machines and free weights for women.
  • Kenn1414
    Kenn1414 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    £20 unlimited multi gym @ The Gym
  • wowlisawow2
    wowlisawow2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I pay $74 a month and love my gym and all it's classes. I got tired of the machines very quickly but the classes, yoga, Pilates, aerobic dancing, Zumba, etc. never get tiring. Make sure the gym you choose has lots of options.
  • sugarandopium
    Options
    15$/month

no damn amenities
    BUT it's new, all the equipment is new and shiny and pretty.
    the place is super clean and they always have at least one employee at all times who does nothing but clean the place and machines.
    so its hard to complain, also is only a 5 min walk, so it's not only the cheapest one but also the closest.
    there are some really nice gyms downtown, but they're 60 or more a month...
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I have a health and wellness subsidy at work, so I only pay $10/month. I can use the subsidy to pay for any gym, but I chose Goodlife because I can go to any of their clubs in Canada.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    $56 a month, has pool, hot tub, zumba and other classes am and pm I am in Virginia
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I pay $35.00 a month at 24 hour fitness. Lots of locations to use. The one closest to me has a pool, sauna, jacuzzi and a steam room. Lots of equipment!
  • SciranBG
    SciranBG Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    $11 a month, with a yearly fee of about $55. So probably closer to $16 a month if you figure it that way.
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I've had many gym memberships in my day. All at gyms more impressive than my current one and all less expensive than my current gym membership, but what can I do? This is the gym closest to me in this small city. It's small and definitely not worth the $40 a month plus 24 hr access fee.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I pay 60 a month. Free classes, no pool. That's about as cheap as it gets in NYC...besides Planet Fitness.
  • indianwin2001
    indianwin2001 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I go to anytime fitness and pay $20--law enforcement rate
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    $35/month at Anytime Fitness. And it's open....anytime. The owner and the personal trainer are amazing. It's so worth the price.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options

Wait. They have a law enforcement rate? I bet my husband doesn't know this. Must check into it when our membership expires.

• indianwin2001
    Options
    Sharon_C wrote: »

Wait. They have a law enforcement rate? I bet my husband doesn't know this. Must check into it when our membership expires.

yes they do. Have him look into it
  • drabbits3
    drabbits3 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    $50 a month for a family of 4 at our local YMCA BUT my oldest son lifeguards there so we get the employee discount. before that it was $90. Still worth every penny. Lap pool, classes, track, HUGE fitness room--machines and free weights. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Y.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I'm jealous of these prices.
  • indianwin2001
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I'm jealous of these prices.

NYC--