Addiction to sugar

Options
1235»

Replies

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    s_pekz wrote: »
    Threads like this remind me how little people seem to know about addiction. Addiction isn't just a word you can throw out there because you feel you have no control. Addiction to a substance is a serious and dangerous condition. True addiction can lead to death very easily. Your tollerance increases and it becomes easy to overdose. Sugar is not an addictive substance. It is enjoyable and therefore people want a lot of it but without it you will not die the way you may die in withdrawls from other substances. Sugar is not something that you start jonesing for - willing to do anything to get your fix. I have never heard of someone prostituting themselves for sugar.

Now obviously that does not mean people don't have trouble with overeating sugar. But you are not physically addicted to it. You are enjoying it, may be even using it to comfort yourself but you are not addicted.

If you want to cut down on your sugar intake go ahead. But please don't call it an addiction cause clearly you do not know what you are talking about.

-A social worker from one of the most heavily drug addicted cities in North America

I don't know what makes a substance addictive in your book but If you can't control a behavior and its causing you physical harm but you cannot stop, even if you want, it sounds like you may have an issue with it.
    -Ex-Junkie (that way you know i'm credible)
    I had an uncle who robbed a gas station so he could buy some cocaine, but I never heard of someone robbing or killing someone for a candy bar or cupcakes etc.. JS
  • s_pekz
    s_pekz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Threads like this remind me how little people seem to know about addiction. Addiction isn't just a word you can throw out there because you feel you have no control. Addiction to a substance is a serious and dangerous condition. True addiction can lead to death very easily. Your tollerance increases and it becomes easy to overdose. Sugar is not an addictive substance. It is enjoyable and therefore people want a lot of it but without it you will not die the way you may die in withdrawls from other substances. Sugar is not something that you start jonesing for - willing to do anything to get your fix. I have never heard of someone prostituting themselves for sugar.

Now obviously that does not mean people don't have trouble with overeating sugar. But you are not physically addicted to it. You are enjoying it, may be even using it to comfort yourself but you are not addicted.

If you want to cut down on your sugar intake go ahead. But please don't call it an addiction cause clearly you do not know what you are talking about.

-A social worker from one of the most heavily drug addicted cities in North America

I don't know what makes a substance addictive in your book but If you can't control a behavior and its causing you physical harm but you cannot stop, even if you want, it sounds like you may have an issue with it.
    Interesting, because I spent years in a vicious cycle of drug abuse and I feel the opposite of how you do about sugar addiction. So does my credibility and your credibility cancel each other out?

Sugar is pleasant and people can create habbits with it. But you cannot not eat sugar. It is necessary for life and in just about anything. So if you were addicted to sugar you would be eating everything compulsivly. Like eatting multiple pounds of berries until you threw up and then did it again.

Also peoples drive for sugar is no where near the drive for substances that are truely adictive. Find me one person who is "addicted" to sugar who will legitimately go to any lengths to get some sugar and then we can talk abotu addiction. Addiction is much more complicated than simply liking candy too much.
  • Stefinately1985
    Stefinately1985 Posts: 7 Member
    Options

Interesting, because I spent years in a vicious cycle of drug abuse and I feel the opposite of how you do about sugar addiction. So does my credibility and your credibility cancel each other out?

Yes. Yes they do :)
  • Stefinately1985
    Stefinately1985 Posts: 7 Member
    Options

Sugar is pleasant and people can create habbits with it. But you cannot not eat sugar. It is necessary for life and in just about anything. So if you were addicted to sugar you would be eating everything compulsivly. Like eatting multiple pounds of berries until you threw up and then did it again.

Also peoples drive for sugar is no where near the drive for substances that are truely adictive. Find me one person who is "addicted" to sugar who will legitimately go to any lengths to get some sugar and then we can talk abotu addiction. Addiction is much more complicated than simply liking candy too much.

I'm just saying... It's not up to anyone on this post to tell someone that they don't know anything about addiction or that what seems like a real ADDICTION in their own lives is not. You don't walk in their shoes. You don't know if they have to steal 10 lb bags of sugar and snort it all night. (joking!)
    Lets not make this black and white...
  • s_pekz
    s_pekz Posts: 340 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

You are talking to the wrong person. I said I did drugs for years (not sugar). I don't believe in sugar addiction. So I'm not sure why you addressed your post to me. Feel free to go see my ice cream and gelato group. I'm not a fan of passing off personal responsibility and blaming sugar addiction.

You feel like comparing each others drug addictions and endless nights of sleep and thousands of dollars spent? Don't lecture me on drug addiction.

srry i quoted teh wrong person. I was distracted by an incoming call at work. sorry. We agree on the addiction issue - i was trying to respond to the previous posts about sugar addiction

I was trying to repond to this post:
  • tegantheaverage
    tegantheaverage Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    eclaireya wrote: »
    Great advice misskittyninja!!!

I have my own issues with sugar (read: chocolate). I feel like a lot of the advice here is helpful. I keep a "Woman you should know better" section of my food log. In there goes all the stuff I know I should avoid and most of it is the stuff I can't just have one of. It's a great reality check when I look at this section and see more calories in it than my entire dinner. My current goal is to keep it to 100 calories- a treat here or there but never should I be consuming more calories of junk than a real meal.

This is brilliant!
  • eclaireya
    eclaireya Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    eclaireya wrote: »
    Great advice misskittyninja!!!

I have my own issues with sugar (read: chocolate). I feel like a lot of the advice here is helpful. I keep a "Woman you should know better" section of my food log. In there goes all the stuff I know I should avoid and most of it is the stuff I can't just have one of. It's a great reality check when I look at this section and see more calories in it than my entire dinner. My current goal is to keep it to 100 calories- a treat here or there but never should I be consuming more calories of junk than a real meal.

This is brilliant!

Thanks tegantheaverage! Keeping it below a certain number is a daily struggle but at least I'm holding myself accountable better.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    I had an uncle who robbed a gas station so he could buy some cocaine, but I never heard of someone robbing or killing someone for a candy bar or cupcakes etc.. JS

That's because they never indicted me, I got off on a technicality and the local news covered it up.

• carryncoulson
    carryncoulson Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am a sugar addict - I have lost 5kgs (11 pounds) eating 35gm of wine gums, 100 gm of chocolate chip yoghurt and 50gm of chocolate EVERY single day.

I walk 10000 steps a day (at least) with the help of a pedometer and eat a decent sustainable breakfast every morning 9for me its eggs on toast) which I believe makes a huge difference. I don`t have sweets to start the day because that makes everything go on a downward spiral. I switched to decaf coffee or tea and take one spoon of sugar instead of the two I used to have. I think the caffeine really made my cravings worse. I brush my teeth after meals (stops tastebuds working overtime) and I drink loads more water which also helps with cravings. I also stay under my deficit number of calories allocated for me.

I only have my chocolate after my last meal of the day - thats my reward and it really works for me.

I do have my bad days - don`t get me wrong. I just brush it off and say tomorrow is another day and do my best.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Addiction to sugar or more likely in denial about wanting to use their willpower. We all have it. Some of us just cant be bothered to use it.
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »
    Addiction to sugar or more likely in denial about wanting to use their willpower. We all have it. Some of us just cant be bothered to use it.

And we have a winner! /endthread

• davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I am sorry, I really hate it when people spread bro science and talk about stuff they know nothing about at all. Sugar addiction is real and does exist and most probably has a genetic cause. Not everyone has the genetics which cause a problem but just because they don't experience an addictive response it seems that most people assume that others are exactly the same as themselves and put it down to stupid things like will power. If you are worried about sugar addiction IM me and we can talk about it. Also have a look at radiant recovery on line as well. The site will try and sell you stuff which you don't need but it also gives a lot of scientific literature describing the addictive process and gives a process of getting off the stuff. At the end of the day the way thought is total abstinence :-)
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    davert123 wrote: »
    I am sorry, I really hate it when people spread bro science and talk about stuff they know nothing about at all. Sugar addiction is real and does exist and most probably has a genetic cause. Not everyone has the genetics which cause a problem but just because they don't experience an addictive response it seems that most people assume that others are exactly the same as themselves and put it down to stupid things like will power. If you are worried about sugar addiction IM me and we can talk about it. Also have a look at radiant recovery on line as well. The site will try and sell you stuff which you don't need but it also gives a lot of scientific literature describing the addictive process and gives a process of getting off the stuff. At the end of the day the way thought is total abstinence :-)

Sugar is not addictive. It easily tempts most of us but it is not addictive. If it were, then we would be all piling tons of plain sugar down us given how accessible it is. The flavours given off by sugary products are tempting, not addictive. We have willpower that can stop us if we want to use it. The problem is that people spend too much time getting down about them or more cynically, use the term 'addiction' to cosy behind in order to use their willpower.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    pgilly81 wrote: »
    I agree with Stephanie. While some (most) don't consider sugar to be addictive, for me sugar and take out food is like a drug. Once I start eating it, there is no off switch until I've made myself sick. Its shocking how much I could eat in one sitting sometimes.

Because of this as of November 1st I gave it all up. Cold turkey. Not gonna lit the first few days were awful. I was cranky and had terrible mood swings but the longer I go without it the better I feel.

12 days in, i'm down 5 pounds and I feel great. I sleep better and i don't have an upset stomach all the time. You can do this, and you can add me as a friend for support if you like. Its tough and a lot of people won't understand that you can't have "just a little taste".
    That's fantastic, good for you! Great job with sticking to it, it's never easy getting started but the benefits you reap are amazing!! :)

Seems to be the same with me, fast food and simple carbs.. ugh.. It's the drop in blood sugar and then needing a fix for that...

So no fruit for you? Since those are simple carbs as well?
    " MFP blog 11/14/14
    "3. Certain carbohydrates, like sweets, sodas, white rice and white pasta, are digested and absorbed faster than complex carbohydrates that contain fiber. "

Fruit contains fiber ,,, our body reacts differently to fruit because of that, it all breaks down but it's not processed the same.

So yes please, fruit for me! :)

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Broscience? I'm assuming that means you have genetic studies to back up what you just said, right?
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I like this post! I appreciate you taking time to post it. :)