If eating trash makes us sick, why do we keep eating it?

Options

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Doctor-who-what.gif
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    Doctor-who-what.gif

This pretty much sums it up!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I googled, "is baking soda toxic" and this is the first one that comes up.

http://thehealthyhoneys.com/baking-soda-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly/

The healthy honeys say... "Baking soda has way more value than just making beautiful fluffy baked goods. It is one of those miracle cures. It is good for just about everything, and its uses seem just about endless."

See, it is a miracle cure. I know this because I googled it.
  • MississippiMama87
    MississippiMama87 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Baking soda? That's the poison? Of course it cleans stuff and scrubs stuff and if you blast it on stuff it will be called "sodablasting."

I also cook with it because.....BAKING SODA.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I hadn't even gotten this far, baking soda is poison? Is it may from people too?
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    ]

Point your toes.

divepike1_zps39a3586b.gif

Much better, although the degree of difficulty is much lower on this one.

I give the first one a 9.3 and this one an 8.7.

Seriously - nice work!
    LOL, thanks. That was my first 5132 ever. I was just trying not to faceplant.
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 623 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Are you actually talking about baking soda? W o w. Now I've really heard it all.

MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY!!!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I think that comic sans just gave me a seizure.
  • DiabolicalColossus
    DiabolicalColossus Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Better a seizure from that font than the stupidity on this thread.

Criminy, there are people out there that believe baking soda is a "toxin".

I've seriously seen everything.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I encourage everyone to givd up junk food for a period of time, try having your children give it up and then tell me it's not toxic and addictive.

First, yes, I responded to the OP in a way I think is helpful to his concerns. I don't think telling him he lacks the ability to stop overeating because he is an "addict" is helpful.

But you continue to use the term "junk food" without defining it and I have no idea what you mean. For example, you claim that 90% of the food in my grocery store is toxic or some such, when the vast majority of the food there is meat, vegetables, fruit, other whole foods, beans and pasta, bread, a wide variety of dairy, a wide variety of stuff like cooking oil, vinegar, mustard and other condiments, so on. I really don't get how anywhere near 90% is problematic even if one is against TV dinner type foods (and while I don't like them, there's a huge range of those, even, with them varying quite a lot in ingredients and calories, I know Dr. Ornish was involved with one brand, for example).

It basically sounds like people don't want to take responsibility for their own choices, so insist they couldn't help it, they were "addicted" or "brain-washed" or "duped" somehow. Not me.

Setting all that aside, I know you consider fast food junk food, so for that part of this I've done it. I stopped eating fast food (McD's and the like, I do eat Chipotle on occasion) back in 2003, and since then I have eaten it only very rarely, when on road trips. Of course, I somehow managed to gain a ridiculous amount of weight (now lost) even without that food, but having had the experience of giving it up I don't see how it was "toxic" and "addictive." Certainly not the latter, and while I don't personally think fast food is all that tasty and haven't since I was a child--when we were permitted to have it on rare occasions, not all the time--I can't say eliminating it from my life made any difference to how I felt or my health (which was just fine in 2003). Maybe I didn't eat it enough, but if someone chooses to eat fast food (which presumably means they also eat few veggies and fruits and too many calories, if they don't choose very carefully) basically every day, the problem isn't the food so much as the overall diet and poor choices. Again, personal responsibility.

I also--as I said before--find the idea that people eat TV dinners and McD's and candy because they are somehow irresistibly delicious in some new way utterly bizarre. What they are is super convenient. People don't want to cook, often don't know how to cook, but they can buy this stuff. People wouldn't think to bake a batch of cookies every day, but the eat the equivalent since they can just go buy it. It's just a failure to use restraint.

Indeed, part of how I gained weight was because one perk of my lifestyle was the opportunity to eat at high quality restaurants, and I was too indulgent when I did (i.e., thinking of something I did 3 times a week as a special occasion). Here, the food itself probably isn't much different than what I cook at home (except more butter, I'm sure), and none of the restaurants advertised (I cannot think of one food item I've ever eaten due to an ad), but I gained weight and if I'd kept it on long term there's a good chance it would have hurt my health. Again, not because it was toxic and addictive, but because I overate. Why did I overeat? It was tasty and I felt like I was super controlled in all kinds of other ways, so compensated by being way too indulgent about food.

If we want to understand it, I think we need to understand human nature and not just make excuses about why we couldn't help it or it was McD's fault. Plenty of people eat McD's on occasion and aren't fat or sick.
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Sodium bicarbonate is used in a process for removing paint and corrosion called sodablasting; the process is particularly suitable for cleaning aluminium panels which can be distorted by other types of abrasive. It can be administered to pools, spas, and garden ponds to raise pH levels.[11] It has weak disinfectant properties,[12][13] and it may be an effective fungicide against some organisms.[14] Because baking soda will absorb musty smells, it has become a reliable method for used-book sellers when making books less malodorous.[15]

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_bicarbonate

a quote directly from that article too, which inclines me to believe it was never even read...

"the only completely non-toxic ingredients are the onion powder, sodium bicarbonate, and the garlic powder."
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Sodium bicarbonate is used in a process for removing paint and corrosion called sodablasting; the process is particularly suitable for cleaning aluminium panels which can be distorted by other types of abrasive. It can be administered to pools, spas, and garden ponds to raise pH levels.[11] It has weak disinfectant properties,[12][13] and it may be an effective fungicide against some organisms.[14] Because baking soda will absorb musty smells, it has become a reliable method for used-book sellers when making books less malodorous.[15]

a quote directly from that article too, which inclines me to believe it was never even read...

"the only completely non-toxic ingredients are the onion powder, sodium bicarbonate, and the garlic powder."

Hah good catch...

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

The conspiracy deepens!
  • ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    http://www.earthclinic.com/mobile/remedies/baking_soda.html

Oh my! Baking soda aids in removing toxins from the body! This is what will ultimately kill all the still undefined toxins! I only found this out, because I decided to be proactive and Google! This must be true because the website contains the words earth and clinic, and since the earth sustains life, this article is absolutely credible, because context is overrated, amirite? Amazing.
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Wait, I'm sorry. I am still in awe that baking soda. BAKING soda, is bad. Remind me when I see my grandmother again to tell her she ruined my life every time she gave me some when I had an upset tummy. Seriously, baking soda???? Stuffs a miracle chemical!
  • GenesiaElizabeth
    GenesiaElizabeth Posts: 227 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I'm not turning this into a baking soda debate and I'm finished being talked down to by immature people. I am however encouraging everyone to eat less junk and more nutrient dense food, that's all. I, personally, don't want anything in my body that is used to remove paint when I have all the macro and micro nutrients available to me through natural and unprocessed foods.

Good luck all. I wish you guys the best. And don't say I'm running, I've spent a good part of my day debating with you guys. I'm tired now and need to get some stuff done!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I'm not turning this into a baking soda debate and I'm finished being talked down to by immature people. I am however encouraging everyone to eat less junk and more nutrient dense food, that's all. I, personally, don't want anything in my body that is used to remove paint when I have all the macro and micro nutrients available to me through natural and unprocessed foods.

Good luck all. I wish you guys the best. And don't say I'm running, I've spent a good part of my day debating with you guys. I'm tired now and need to get some stuff done.

Water and walnuts are also used in processes to strip paint. :flowerforyou:
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

Good luck all. I wish you guys the best. And don't say I'm running, I've spent a good part of my day debating with you guys. I'm tired now and need to get some stuff done!

That's not debating...