If eating trash makes us sick, why do we keep eating it?

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    I've repeatedly asked for which specific chemicals are to be avoided and what doses are harmful but this request has been repeatedly ignored.

You are going to be waiting a long time from the looks of it.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    So, so far, we have wild hyperbole, sugar is like cocaine, complete unsubstantiated claims, context and dosage being ignored, the 'wait till you are older' threat and the 'look it up yourself, I am not going to do it for you' in this thread.

Do we have bingo yet?
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    adowe wrote: »
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    parkscs wrote: »
    Sometimes, it's not all about what you can see. Being buff, skinny, fit, obese, chubby doesn't matter. It's about what's happening on the inside of your body that you can't see. Hubby was 140lbs and 5'7" when he was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 10 years ago. Who knew! Kids are going into emergency rooms getting diagnosed with type 2 but look otherwise perfectly healthy!

Good luck in your ventures, guys! I wish you all the best and I hope the OP will have a chance to read what has been said and try it for himself, if he is truly seeking understanding and health improvement. :):heart:

That's called *kitten* happens. One of the healthiest guys I've known in my life was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. He was an avid cyclist, big into local produce and health before it became "cool" to buy organic, never smoked, never drank, and yet he died around the age of 50. No matter what you eat or don't eat, there are no guarantees in life. The best you can do is enjoy yourself and try to minimize your risk of illness.

But you're delusional if you think you'll be immune from cancer, diabetes and the like just because you avoid processed foods and gluten. Then again though, some people need to delude themselves because the reality is a bit too harsh, so maybe that's not a bad thing.

People judge but don't want to be judged..

I did not say I think this will make us immune from cancer and disease but what I did say is that it can and likely will improve your overall quality of life and even reverse certain diseases, if you refrain from junk food and feed your body what it should have.

If you knew me personally, you would know that I have had my fair share and then some of loss and reality. Those who can see my heart (thank you for the messages) are what keeps me going. It's not discouraging at all to receive such backlash, it empowers me to go out and learn more in hopes that one day, the world might be a healthier and happier place for us.

For those who think macronutrients (fat, carbs, protein) are all that matters, have a read about what a nutrient actually is and how it's more than that. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutrient

Ok, now I'm really done, lol. Have a good day!!

While wikipedia is not the best source to cite, no-one has said that macronutrients are all that matter.

Going to post one of my favorite quotes - from an actual

"Once our nutrient needs are met, we don’t get extra credit for eating more nutritious food! - Eric Helms"

There are very few foods that actively are bad for you, medical conditions aside, and in reasonable doses.

Also, please do go out and learn more.

From what I get from her post is that macronutrients isn't everything. There is a very good case to be made from micronutrient dense food intake. Not from a weight/calorie count standpoint but from a health standpoint. If your statement above includes both macro and micro, you two are agreeing more than disagreeing.

My point was, no-one said it was. I am not agreeing with her at all however on most of her points. She seems to think that non-nutrient foods are toxic or something. They are not. She also seems to think that fast food has no nutrients at all - which is ludicrous.

I only read her last quote that seems to summarize her point.

1) I did say is that it can and likely will improve your overall quality of life and even reverse certain diseases

You agree or disagree?

2) For those who think macronutrients (fat, carbs, protein) are all that matters, have a read about what a nutrient actually is and how it's more than that. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutrient

You agree or disagree?

I didn't read the wiki but I tend to agree with both of her statements. In a general sense.

I'm not sure if she is saying junk foods are toxic or not vs them being very micronutrient lacking. And there is probably a bunch of ingredients in various junk foods that aren't particularly great for you but that is merely my opinion. And I'll quantify that by stating that the amount of junk food intake would have to be pretty high and often to make a difference.

Try reading the rest of her posts, then get back to us!

OK, offer me some grace please, lol... I'm working on how to best articulate my thoughts and views. But I will say that I do believe that most of what is available to us to eat is harmful to our bodies because a) the presence of chemicals and ingredients they contain, we were not made to consume and b) the absence of nutrients that heal and protect (immune system) us leave our guards down. It will do the best job it can with what it's given but sooner or later, it does catch up with you and the results are usually not good.

Maybe my approach was wrong at first but all I'm ultimately after is to offer hope to those who are struggling with these types of foods. There is another way and it's so worth it.. To have been able to say that you lived a life to it's fullest potential and in the process of doing so, you taught your children how to have the same.

I really do mean well. I promise.

Well whatever you did appeared to have worked for you. Looking at your profile it appears to be reasonable. But maybe you need to further educate yourself on your sources. Some of them come across pretty controversial. Stating that food is "bad" doesn't go over well here. IMHO, there's never been a time where we had such nutrient dense foods available to us and at the same time had so much nutrient deficient foods available to us. There's never been a time where us as individuals have required to be educated about what we eat. It's up us and not anyone else to know what we eat. Or if we choose to eat, know the "why".

Then why are so many people sick, obese, dying, not knowing where to turn? If we are free indeed to make our own choices, perhaps it does have something to do with manipulation and addiction from the manufacturers to consumers because why aren't we choosing better quality and fresher foods then? Based on statistics, we are more unhealthy as a culture than we are healthy and thriving.

Not to you specifically but I think we really need to be open to people trying to make a better world by offering ideas, information and personal experience that has worked for them in many ways. Sometimes, we need to look beyond the scientic reasoning and explaining and just embrace the fact that fresh fruits and veggies are far more helpful to us vs harmful, like 90% of what's in a typical grocery store. The proof is in the pudding.

And thank you the compliment on my weight loss, as that's how I'm taking it. :smile:

It is so clear that you have watched a great deal of fear mongering documentaries. The issue with that is if you believe them then try to push it on to others, you can't back up what you hear in the show with regurgitated information from the show. You actually have to provide the facts. Research what they say for yourself. They throw out random numbers which is exactly what you are doing.

I am living proof that this works. I don't need a degree or a list of facts to be confident in sharing what has worked for me and what has also been tragic in my life regarding what you eat, including many people that I know. Next time I will start with my story rather than try to skip it. My apologies for coming off too strong at first, without including my personal details.

Ever hear of hard knocks? That's where I got my degree and facts but I certainly will not get into that here.

You're trying to pass it as fact though. No one has said that eating healthy is bad and that it doesn't work, it's that you're trying to pass falsities that fast food is "toxic" as a fact.

If it's not toxic, then what do you say it is? Because to me, I've watched people (myself and husband included) get very sick and unproductive to society when they eat this food on a regular basis. I've also watched how mostly abstaining from it can heal you in many ways.

It's food, that's what it is. How to apply your opinion on "toxic" fast food to all of the people who eat it and don't get sick or unproductive to society? I have two brothers (late 20s and early 30s) who eat fast food every day and are both fit, healthy and more active than anyone I know. Why don't the toxins affect them?

Exactly, they are in 20s and 30s. Give it 10 years, maybe sooner. :disappointed:

Which toxins in fast food, specifically, will hurt them and how? And why do they only affect people of certain ages?

Research it. Best way to sum it up, you will unnecessarily die early if a change does not eventually come - if that's your main source of daily food, which it is for many. I can not list thrm from memory and will not look it up for you. Live to your fullest, don't accept not knowing. There is a wealth of information out there. Add what I've researched to my personal story and I become a firm advocate for this.

Based on the title of this thread, did you all respond trying to offer OP advice or a different way out? All that is being done mostly, is mocking his concerns and questions about junk food consumption. I am here for the right reasons, even though I need to work on my delivrty apparently. I stand by what said in my very first response but I needed more information is all. And unfortunately, MFP is not the place for the full story. I encourage everyone to givd up junk food for a period of time, try having your children give it up and then tell me it's not toxic and addictive.

Oh. So you don't know what toxins are in them and how they will hurt someone? Gotcha. I looked up the ingredients in KCF chicken earlier in the day, and there were no toxic chemicals. You're on here claiming this stuff is poison and will kill people, but you cannot even say what and how? This thread will be here tomorrow. Maybe you'll find time to back up your claims between now and then. I'll wait.

I've researched it but have not conformed it to memory yet. You are capable of researching as well but to bite the bait - first article upon googling KFC toxic chicken.

Be proactive! http://healthwyze.org/index.php/component/content/article/134-the-worst-restaurant-of-the-year-award-goes-to-kentucky-fried-chicken-kfc.html

So you cite a biased source....
  • GenesiaElizabeth
    GenesiaElizabeth Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Seasoning (Salt, Monosodium Glutamate, Garlic Powder, Spice Extractives, Onion Powder), Soy Protein Concentrate, Rice Starch and Sodium Phosphates. Battered with: Water, Wheat Flour, Leavening (Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Sodium Bicarbonate, Monocalcium Phosphate), Salt, Dextrose, Monosodium Glutamate, Spice and Onion Powder. Predusted with: Wheat Flour, Wheat Gluten, Salt, Dried Egg Whites, Leavening (Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Sodium Bicarbonate), Monosodium Glutamate, Spice and Onion Powder. Breaded with: Wheat Flour, Salt, Soy Flour, Leavening (Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Sodium Bicarbonate), Monosodium Glutamate, Spice, Nonfat Dry Milk, Onion Powder, Dextrose, Extractives of Turmeric and Extractives of Annatto. Breading Set in Vegetable oil.

http://healthwyze.org/index.php/component/content/article/134-the-worst-restaurant-of-the-year-award-goes-to-kentucky-fried-chicken-kfc.html
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Back in for mom-science, cause as a mom, they can just tell.
    Next up, why vaccines are bad for your kids cause, Jenny said and she's a mom.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    I don't know, what's a little pee in between friends?
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    When did both of you become psychics that you know what all of us will go through? Both of you say we are to young, yet both are in your early 30's. A little smug no?

Also you seem to continuously ignore the requests for you to back up you number claims. Is it because you can't ?

It's the clean eater's version of threatening people with hell.

BTW I turn 45 next month. Perhaps I should wait yet another ten years?
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

I've researched it but have not conformed it to memory yet. You are capable of researching as well but to bite the bait - first article upon googling KFC toxic chicken.

Be proactive! http://healthwyze.org/index.php/component/content/article/134-the-worst-restaurant-of-the-year-award-goes-to-kentucky-fried-chicken-kfc.html

Wow... credible source. The same sight that is trying to sell a book called "Defy Your Doctor and Be Healed" that claims:
    Your doctor is not your healer. He is your dealer. That is why diabetes drugs cause full-onset diabetes, cholesterol medications cause sudden-onset heart attacks, and the radiation from cancer screenings causes cancer. The system is designed to be self perpetuating, and to prevent us from ever being free. There is no money to be made from healthy patients, nor is there profit in dead patients. The money is made somewhere in the middle, in patients who are alive, but barely.

and
    This book is the do it yourself guide to health. Natural alternatives are explained in every chapter, to demonstrate the healing power of God's natural medicines. By discovering how corrupt the system is, readers will never see things the same way again. This book is the best health insurance that you can find for your family.
  • GenesiaElizabeth
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    People leading very sedentary lives can get sick and unproductive to society.

Like Jack LaLanne always said...

"Exercise is King..."

As well as never getting any sun.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Sometimes, it's not all about what you can see. Being buff, skinny, fit, obese, chubby doesn't matter. It's about what's happening on the inside of your body that you can't see. Hubby was 140lbs and 5'7" when he was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 10 years ago. Who knew! Kids are going into emergency rooms getting diagnosed with type 2 but look otherwise perfectly healthy!

Good luck in your ventures, guys! I wish you all the best and I hope the OP will have a chance to read what has been said and try it for himself, if he is truly seeking understanding and health improvement. :):heart:

That's called *kitten* happens. One of the healthiest guys I've known in my life was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. He was an avid cyclist, big into local produce and health before it became "cool" to buy organic, never smoked, never drank, and yet he died around the age of 50. No matter what you eat or don't eat, there are no guarantees in life. The best you can do is enjoy yourself and try to minimize your risk of illness.

But you're delusional if you think you'll be immune from cancer, diabetes and the like just because you avoid processed foods and gluten. Then again though, some people need to delude themselves because the reality is a bit too harsh, so maybe that's not a bad thing.

I did not say I think this will make us immune from cancer and disease but what I did say is that it can and likely will improve your overall quality of life and even reverse certain diseases, if you refrain from junk food and feed your body what it should have.

If you knew me personally, you would know that I have had my fair share and then some of loss and reality. Those who can see my heart (thank you for the messages) are what keeps me going. It's not discouraging at all to receive such backlash, it empowers me to go out and learn more in hopes that one day, the world might be a healthier and happier place for us.

For those who think macronutrients (fat, carbs, protein) are all that matters, have a read about what a nutrient actually is and how it's more than that. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutrient

While wikipedia is not the best source to cite, no-one has said that macronutrients are all that matter.

"Once our nutrient needs are met, we don’t get extra credit for eating more nutritious food! - Eric Helms"

There are very few foods that actively are bad for you, medical conditions aside, and in reasonable doses.

From what I get from her post is that macronutrients isn't everything. There is a very good case to be made from micronutrient dense food intake. Not from a weight/calorie count standpoint but from a health standpoint. If your statement above includes both macro and micro, you two are agreeing more than disagreeing.

My point was, no-one said it was. I am not agreeing with her at all however on most of her points. She seems to think that non-nutrient foods are toxic or something. They are not. She also seems to think that fast food has no nutrients at all - which is ludicrous.

1) I did say is that it can and likely will improve your overall quality of life and even reverse certain diseases

You agree or disagree?

2) For those who think macronutrients (fat, carbs, protein) are all that matters, have a read about what a nutrient actually is and how it's more than that. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutrient

You agree or disagree?

I didn't read the wiki but I tend to agree with both of her statements. In a general sense.

I'm not sure if she is saying junk foods are toxic or not vs them being very micronutrient lacking. And there is probably a bunch of ingredients in various junk foods that aren't particularly great for you but that is merely my opinion. And I'll quantify that by stating that the amount of junk food intake would have to be pretty high and often to make a difference.

OK, offer me some grace please, lol... I'm working on how to best articulate my thoughts and views. But I will say that I do believe that most of what is available to us to eat is harmful to our bodies because a) the presence of chemicals and ingredients they contain, we were not made to consume and b) the absence of nutrients that heal and protect (immune system) us leave our guards down. It will do the best job it can with what it's given but sooner or later, it does catch up with you and the results are usually not good.

Maybe my approach was wrong at first but all I'm ultimately after is to offer hope to those who are struggling with these types of foods. There is another way and it's so worth it.. To have been able to say that you lived a life to it's fullest potential and in the process of doing so, you taught your children how to have the same.

Well whatever you did appeared to have worked for you. Looking at your profile it appears to be reasonable. But maybe you need to further educate yourself on your sources. Some of them come across pretty controversial. Stating that food is "bad" doesn't go over well here. IMHO, there's never been a time where we had such nutrient dense foods available to us and at the same time had so much nutrient deficient foods available to us. There's never been a time where us as individuals have required to be educated about what we eat. It's up us and not anyone else to know what we eat. Or if we choose to eat, know the "why".

Then why are so many people sick, obese, dying, not knowing where to turn? If we are free indeed to make our own choices, perhaps it does have something to do with manipulation and addiction from the manufacturers to consumers because why aren't we choosing better quality and fresher foods then? Based on statistics, we are more unhealthy as a culture than we are healthy and thriving.

Not to you specifically but I think we really need to be open to people trying to make a better world by offering ideas, information and personal experience that has worked for them in many ways. Sometimes, we need to look beyond the scientic reasoning and explaining and just embrace the fact that fresh fruits and veggies are far more helpful to us vs harmful, like 90% of what's in a typical grocery store. The proof is in the pudding.

And thank you the compliment on my weight loss, as that's how I'm taking it. :smile:

It is so clear that you have watched a great deal of fear mongering documentaries. The issue with that is if you believe them then try to push it on to others, you can't back up what you hear in the show with regurgitated information from the show. You actually have to provide the facts. Research what they say for yourself. They throw out random numbers which is exactly what you are doing.

I am living proof that this works. I don't need a degree or a list of facts to be confident in sharing what has worked for me and what has also been tragic in my life regarding what you eat, including many people that I know. Next time I will start with my story rather than try to skip it. My apologies for coming off too strong at first, without including my personal details.

Ever hear of hard knocks? That's where I got my degree and facts but I certainly will not get into that here.

You're trying to pass it as fact though. No one has said that eating healthy is bad and that it doesn't work, it's that you're trying to pass falsities that fast food is "toxic" as a fact.

If it's not toxic, then what do you say it is? Because to me, I've watched people (myself and husband included) get very sick and unproductive to society when they eat this food on a regular basis. I've also watched how mostly abstaining from it can heal you in many ways.

It's food, that's what it is. How to apply your opinion on "toxic" fast food to all of the people who eat it and don't get sick or unproductive to society? I have two brothers (late 20s and early 30s) who eat fast food every day and are both fit, healthy and more active than anyone I know. Why don't the toxins affect them?

Exactly, they are in 20s and 30s. Give it 10 years, maybe sooner. :disappointed:

Which toxins in fast food, specifically, will hurt them and how? And why do they only affect people of certain ages?

Research it. Best way to sum it up, you will unnecessarily die early if a change does not eventually come - if that's your main source of daily food, which it is for many. I can not list thrm from memory and will not look it up for you. Live to your fullest, don't accept not knowing. There is a wealth of information out there. Add what I've researched to my personal story and I become a firm advocate for this.

Based on the title of this thread, did you all respond trying to offer OP advice or a different way out? All that is being done mostly, is mocking his concerns and questions about junk food consumption. I am here for the right reasons, even though I need to work on my delivrty apparently. I stand by what said in my very first response but I needed more information is all. And unfortunately, MFP is not the place for the full story. I encourage everyone to givd up junk food for a period of time, try having your children give it up and then tell me it's not toxic and addictive.

Oh. So you don't know what toxins are in them and how they will hurt someone? Gotcha. I looked up the ingredients in KCF chicken earlier in the day, and there were no toxic chemicals. You're on here claiming this stuff is poison and will kill people, but you cannot even say what and how? This thread will be here tomorrow. Maybe you'll find time to back up your claims between now and then. I'll wait.

That's your support? Really?

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Seasoning (Salt, Monosodium Glutamate, Garlic Powder, Spice Extractives, Onion Powder), Soy Protein Concentrate, Rice Starch and Sodium Phosphates. Battered with: Water, Wheat Flour, Leavening (Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Sodium Bicarbonate, Monocalcium Phosphate), Salt, Dextrose, Monosodium Glutamate, Spice and Onion Powder. Predusted with: Wheat Flour, Wheat Gluten, Salt, Dried Egg Whites, Leavening (Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Sodium Bicarbonate), Monosodium Glutamate, Spice and Onion Powder. Breaded with: Wheat Flour, Salt, Soy Flour, Leavening (Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Sodium Bicarbonate), Monosodium Glutamate, Spice, Nonfat Dry Milk, Onion Powder, Dextrose, Extractives of Turmeric and Extractives of Annatto. Breading Set in Vegetable oil.

http://healthwyze.org/index.php/component/content/article/134-the-worst-restaurant-of-the-year-award-goes-to-kentucky-fried-chicken-kfc.html

Sorry, which of those are toxic?

• Sarauk2sf
    Options

Your point is what?

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

You agree or disagree?

You agree or disagree?

I highly recommend everyone click on that link if you would like to see stupidity in its natural habitat.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »

HAY... they're toxic because I don't know what they are... k? Big words are frightening.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

Where are the toxins?

And health food and alternative medicine sites aren't sources. I think people are asking for legitimate sources. I can find sites that say bigfoot is real, too, but just like that quack site you posted, they have no proof.
  • GenesiaElizabeth
    Options
    Sodium bicarbonate is used in a process for removing paint and corrosion called sodablasting; the process is particularly suitable for cleaning aluminium panels which can be distorted by other types of abrasive. It can be administered to pools, spas, and garden ponds to raise pH levels.[11] It has weak disinfectant properties,[12][13] and it may be an effective fungicide against some organisms.[14] Because baking soda will absorb musty smells, it has become a reliable method for used-book sellers when making books less malodorous.[15]

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_bicarbonate
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »

HAY... they're toxic because I don't know what they are... k? Big words are frightening.

So are small words. BOO!

• Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Sodium bicarbonate is used in a process for removing paint and corrosion called sodablasting; the process is particularly suitable for cleaning aluminium panels which can be distorted by other types of abrasive. It can be administered to pools, spas, and garden ponds to raise pH levels.[11] It has weak disinfectant properties,[12][13] and it may be an effective fungicide against some organisms.[14] Because baking soda will absorb musty smells, it has become a reliable method for used-book sellers when making books less malodorous.[15]

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_bicarbonate

lol....how about applying some dosage and context.

This is tooooo funny.