If eating trash makes us sick, why do we keep eating it?

Options

Replies

• wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Because the stuff is addictive for one. That stuff is manufactured the way it is for that reason. Once you have it you want more. Secondly, it's a state of mind. If you really want to stop eating it you have to make yourself not eat it. Choices......do you want to continue shoving crap down your throat or do you want to be healthy? Even though we can crave the junk food it still comes down to our choice to eat it.
  • thatgirlkellib
    thatgirlkellib Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    For me, I recently went on vacation from work and clean eating, I gained 10lbs in one week mostly water weight from drinking excessive alcohol and eating semi-*kitten* so basicly the next monday comes around and all I could think about was how bad I felt "toxic" I usually eat mostly clean so it was a huge difference to feel.
    I started that day and made a rule to only eat food that I prepare and I pack my b-fast, lunch and snack.. for work.. so that I have no excuses to binge or go to mcdonalds or something because I was hungry.

Moral to the story all things are ok in morderation. But for me when I struggle with certain cravings I have to eliminate it out of my life. and I make sure I have packed my foods so I am accountable and it also saves me money so. And I lost all of my water weight in one week . WIN-WIN
    GOOD LUCK. -
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    This is more observational than judgmental but it's sort of sad that we have such an overabundance of food that we can freely seek to avoid some of it and refer to it as garbage.
  • lLionMindl
    lLionMindl Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    dopamine.
  • EmotionalEater84
    EmotionalEater84 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    This isn't going to help much, but when I feel the need for junk food I stuff some raw food in my pie hole and the craving usually goes away. As far as I'm concerned it's mind over matter. I'm not saying I'm perfect! Far from it, but when I succeed that's how I do it and feel better for it also!! I also tend to fast after a rough eating day - makes my tummy happier. I hope you find what works for you!!
  • ryanwood935
    ryanwood935 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    adowe wrote: »
    Food and cocaine (hard drugs) are not comparable.

Science begs to differ. forbes.com/sites/daviddisalvo/2013/06/29/what-food-addiction-looks-like-in-your-brain/

I could certainly dig up the research mentioned in the article if you still doubt it.

I just want to point out that this study is based on a four hour time frame. I can't imagine that being enough time to consider the true addictive properties of sugar. Science does not beg to differ. Science is chopped up and bastardized by the media in a way that has a flashy headline so people will read it.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Personally I find the comparison of sugar to cocaine rather ridiculous. I'm willing to bet that many people who run out of donuts don't start eating sugar out of the bag with a spoon and if it were truly addictive like a drug you'd see exactly that.

Additionally, petting kittens and puppies causes the pleasure center of the brain to light up yet we don't compare that to crack.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Once you get used to eating healthier foods, a lot of the "junk" food kind of loses its appeal. I almost never eat food from chain restaurants (fast food or even "higher end" ones like Applebee's and the like), but when I have no choice, the food tastes over-processed and artificial.
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    Well as humans we're generally designed to crave fat, sugar, salt because eating it when it was available was the way to survive.

As to how to stop doing it - where are you overindulging? I find that I can control my eating when I'm out, but when I'm home it's a problem. So there are things I can no longer keep in the house, but that I can purchase in a restaurant, or a small bag of something from a vending machine as a treat. I try to control my environment rather than have to constantly resist temptation.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options

LOL.

People will look for any excuse to make them feel better for having no will power to not eat what they consider "junk food"

What a joke.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Are we 4 for 4, M-Th, this week on food addiction threads?

Of course it's big food's fault...
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree with those who are touting moderation. In my case, I love candy so much that sometimes it would make up at least 50% of my calorie intake for sure. One method I used, though, was getting myself "excited" to eat healthy food and promising myself one sweet a day. Is it like this everyday? No, but I feel more satisfied when I eat a big meal of healthy, colorful stuff than a small meal of some healthy stuff because I decided to eat a bunch of candy before the meal. I found a lot of new healthy recipes to try so it doesn't get boring, because I've found that when I get bored with what I'm eating, that's when I'm ripping through the cabinets or wanting to go for fast food. The "trash" food is sometimes more appealing and exciting, I think.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options

Science begs to differ. forbes.com/sites/daviddisalvo/2013/06/29/what-food-addiction-looks-like-in-your-brain/

I could certainly dig up the research mentioned in the article if you still doubt it.

LOL. I hope your joking.
  • Mudler
    Mudler Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    you got to 50 odd years old before you had any thought for personal responsibility? just blindly doign what every tv advert told you to... right!

Yel, LOL, I'm less than perfect, i admit it

Actually, no, it would have been about 45 or something. I did admit it to myself then but lived from that point in denial. "I'll be fine, no need to worry, it'll all be OK"
  • RITA61TYPE2
    RITA61TYPE2 Posts: 8
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Hi. I honestly believe there are plenty of 'additives' intentionally put inside of processed foods, and all types of sugars, too. These additives are put in foods to 'enhance' flavor, and preserve shelf-life, as well. When you buy canned/packaged foods/chips/candy, please read the ingredients/labels. Next, take time to go online, and look-up each ingredient that you cannot pronounce, and you will see all the yucky poison you are eating. Sorry, but most of these things are NOT natural, nor good for you. Then one would wonder just what is making them feel yucky/lousy, or why they are feeling ill/sick. There's your sign. Either avoid these foods, or use moderation. Remember, the government does not care about your health, because that is totally your responsibility...to take good care of yourself and your family/loved ones. Best wishes to everyone.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Hi. I honestly believe there are plenty of 'additives' intentionally put inside of processed foods, and all types of sugars, too. These additives are put in foods to 'enhance' flavor, and preserve shelf-life, as well. When you buy canned/packaged foods/chips/candy, please read the ingredients/labels. Next, take time to go online, and look-up each ingredient that you cannot pronounce, and you will see all the yucky poison you are eating. Sorry, but most of these things are NOT natural, nor good for you. Then one would wonder just what is making them feel yucky/lousy, or why they are feeling ill/sick. There's your sign. Either avoid these foods, or use moderation. Remember, the government does not care about your health, because that is totally your responsibility...to take good care of yourself and your family/loved ones. Best wishes to everyone.

Unless you can provide evidence that these food additives are "poisonous" (please list dosage with that claim) then you are fear mongering.

Food preservatives help preserve food. If you don't like this and you're economically in a position to only eat 100% unprocessed foods then consider yourself fortunate.

Finally, whether or not you can pronounce a food ingredient has absolutely no relevance to it's safety.
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    All that ****ty food activates the pleasure center of the brain, and it triggers addictive tendencies, a lot like cocaine or other hard drugs. Lots of people obviously have a hard time dealing with it and go nuts all the time on it, hence why we're a nation of ticking obese diabetic time bombs.

Yes, they utterly are 100%.

This is an animal study. Human studies have shown very little, if any, evidence this is the case in humans. Furthermore, the neurological effects of sugar and cocaine are quite different in humans.

Yep, that's fine. Because animal studies never reflect possible similar pathways in humans, which is why we stopped doing animal studies YEARS ago.

Oh, wait.

Perhaps I should post some links about the systemic inflammatory effects of refined sugars and grains, and take us into LCHF territory too.

CICO aside, the stuff is just not good for you.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    People eat foods that taste good because they taste good, not because food companies are adding all these crazy addictive chemicals or "poison" to make you keep eating them. I personally don't feel sick or sluggish after I eat Taco Bell or a Snickers, I just feel like I ate some delicious Taco Bell and go on my way. If you gorge yourself on any food I doubt you'll feel very well.

These posts about "poison" food are getting more and more ridiculous by the day. It makes it difficult to even read the forums.