If eating trash makes us sick, why do we keep eating it?

Options

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    Mudler wrote: »
    i LOVE KFC... MMMMM greasy chickeny goodness!!!!

I love it as well but the coating is probably one of the worst things you can eat and the Chicken isn't chicken.
    It's an approximation of what we used to think was chicken.
    Certainly bares no resemblance to those feather coved birds that run around laying eggs all the time.

Hence the reason for it not being called Kentucky Fried Chicken anymore

Wut?

my thoughts exactly...
  • GenesiaElizabeth
    GenesiaElizabeth Posts: 227 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Catsheep wrote: »
    So I have been having this thought quite frequently lately. I eat a bunch of junk (ie. fast food, candy, sweets, fried foods, etc.) and I feel really crappy afterwards. I feel sick to my stomach and lethargic and I swear that I will make sure that I don't feel this way ever again because it is so horrid. But then comes the next day and it's back to the desire of having all the junk again despite the knowledge of what the result will entail. So how does one break this cycle? I truly have a desire to live a healthy and active lifestyle but I feel like I am self sabotaging and trying to fulfill my subconscious self prophecy that I will fail. What are y'alls thoughts on this subject? If you have had any experiences dealing with this issue I'd love to hear about it.

There is ONE answer.

This "junk food", from either fast food or grocery stores, is ENGINEERED to ADDICT us. They alter the genetic make up of the food by adding chemicals to it, that have been tested and proven in labs to be ADDICTIVE. They make it to have a long shelf life by adding more chemicals so they don't lose profit there, also.

We need rehab from this, like any other drug. When natural sugars get extracted and become such a highly concentrated substance (with the added chemicals) and added to our food, it then begins to share the same destructive and addictive qualities as cocaine...

Cocaine is a highly concentrated and EXTRACTED (by man) form of coca which comes from the coca PLANT, which is addictive and destructive. In it's NATURAL FORM however, it is safe and used for a healthy, medicinal tea. Sugar is much the same. It is safe in it's NATURAL form; fruits, carbs from veggies, etc. When man gets in the way of our food, for purposes of the almighty dollar, then all we can do is stay away because it very quickly destroys us. It costs more money, make us feel worse, we get fat, look terrible PLUS we are passing our unhealthy habits on to the next generation. What about moderation? I don't know. Could you do cocaine in moderation? :neutral_face:

We are dying MUCH TOO EARLY from all of the degenerative diseases that are caused by the BLATENT lack of nutrition (we can read the labels) and the chemically riddled "food", with the constant bombardment of it EVERYWHERE we go. They even market to our kids, which is an outrage!

Just stay away from it. Wean yourself off. Find healthy, natural alternatives. What you feed, grows and what you starves, dies.

Hope this makes sense and helps some people!!! Hubby has type 2 diabetes and we've done tons of research on how to reverse it, which is what we are doing now. I've also lost almost 70lbs in under a year. I love nutrition and have learned so much valuable information! I really feel like we need more of it in our lives, to be able to live better lives. :)
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    So I have been having this thought quite frequently lately. I eat a bunch of junk (ie. fast food, candy, sweets, fried foods, etc.) and I feel really crappy afterwards. I feel sick to my stomach and lethargic and I swear that I will make sure that I don't feel this way ever again because it is so horrid. But then comes the next day and it's back to the desire of having all the junk again despite the knowledge of what the result will entail. So how does one break this cycle? I truly have a desire to live a healthy and active lifestyle but I feel like I am self sabotaging and trying to fulfill my subconscious self prophecy that I will fail. What are y'alls thoughts on this subject? If you have had any experiences dealing with this issue I'd love to hear about it.

There is ONE answer.

This "junk food", from either fast food or grocery stores, is ENGINEERED to ADDICT us. They alter the genetic make up of the food by adding chemicals to it, that have been tested and proven in labs to be ADDICTIVE. They make it to have a long shelf life by adding more chemicals so they don't lose profit there, also.

We need rehab from this, like any other drug. When natural sugars get extracted and become such a highly concentrated substance (with the added chemicals) and added to our food, it then begins to share the same destructive and addictive qualities as cocaine...

Cocaine is a highly concentrated and EXTRACTED (by man) form of coca which comes from the coca PLANT, which is addictive and destructive. In it's NATURAL FORM however, it is safe and used for a healthy, medicinal tea. Sugar is much the same. It is safe in it's NATURAL form; fruits, carbs from veggies, etc. When man gets in the way of our food, for purposes of the almighty dollar, then all we can do is stay away because it very quickly destroys us. It costs more money, make us feel worse, we get fat, look terrible PLUS we are passing our unhealthy habits on to the next generation. What about moderation? I don't know. Could you do cocaine in moderation? :neutral_face:

We are dying MUCH TOO EARLY from all of the degenerative diseases that are caused by the BLATENT lack of nutrition (we can read the labels) and the chemically riddled "food", with the constant bombardment of it EVERYWHERE we go. They even market to our kids, which is an outrage!

Just stay away from it. Wean yourself off. Find healthy, natural alternatives. What you feed, grows and what you starves, dies.

Hope this makes sense and helps some people!!! Hubby has type 2 diabetes and we've done tons of research on how to reverse it, which is what we are doing now. I've also lost almost 70lbs in under a year. I love nutrition and have learned so much valuable information! I really feel like we need more of it in our lives, to be able to live better lives. :)

LOL....seriously.

I have reverse my heart condition eating the very thing you say is "bad" food.....explain that!!!
  • GenesiaElizabeth
    edited November 2014
    Options
    ^^

Was it funny too?! That's great! :smiley:

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

There is ONE answer.

Comparing sugar to cocaine is ridiculous and probably quite offensive to people who actually have real drug problems.

Plenty of people can eat refined sugar in moderation. Plenty of people can do this without health problems.

Your fear mongering and preaching of food avoidance is more harmful than sugar for those who buy into the idea that they need to completely abstain from perfectly fine foods.

• soapyskin
    soapyskin Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Watched the documentary Fed Up a few nights ago, and it's a bit interesting how this thread touches on a lot of its points. I definitely recommend it to many of the people commenting on this topic.

There is a fuzzy line between educating ourselves/having the will to change vs. falling prey to advertising/taking the easy fast food route. It was hard to look at the families Fed Up chose to follow and not think, "But wait a minute, be accountable for yourself! And your children! Grow up!" The truth is, it isn't easy for many people.

There is so much defensiveness when we blame food companies for our health problems. I'm not entirely sure why. It's almost exactly like the tobacco companies. It's especially sad when you examine the state of most public schools. Everyone has a choice (as well as their own will power), but a thirteen year old is going to be hard-pressed to pick water with a veggie/protein dish over a soda/Gatorade with the frozen pizza or fries. This is a problem, which creates a cycle which may stay with them for the rest of their lives.

I also notice many people justify, "I eat _______, and it's processed, and it's considered fast food, but it's okay because I eat it in moderation." I respectfully disagree with this sentiment, unless "in moderation" means twice a month. When we feed our bodies things that severely lack real nutrients/ingredients, whether or not the scale is moving up or down becomes irrelevant.

The bottom line is prep/cook your food, and love yourself. Take the time to break the cycle, however slowly it takes, and watch cravings start to change. Examine your overall well-being instead of your body image. Start to wonder about your blood results. Because whether or not we're thin, muscular, slightly overweight, or even obese won't matter when the body is undernourished.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

There is ONE answer.

We are living longer than humans have ever lived before...
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »

There is ONE answer.

LOL....seriously.

I have reverse my heart condition eating the very thing you say is "bad" food.....explain that!!!

This thread has now got me leaning towards my MFP bingo card. Haven't grabbed it quite yet, but as soon as I see a mean person post.

EDIT: In the haste of my post, someone called fed up a documentary.....that bingo card is getting even closer.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

I love it as well but the coating is probably one of the worst things you can eat and the Chicken isn't chicken.
    Certainly bares no resemblance to those feather coved birds that run around laying eggs all the time.

If it's not chicken, what is it then?

• GenesiaElizabeth
    Options
    ^^

Was it funny too?! That's great! :smiley:

No...it just shows how stupid in what you wrote.

God bless you as well! And that's awesome how you have reversed a heart condition by eating junk food. I'd prefer another route but good for you! :)
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    I love sugar and love to bake, I've been without any sugar for 2 days... I've yet to feel the need to steal from anyone, to sell my body, or anything else for a quick fix.

Now you want to compare sugar to my step son who is currently sitting in jail because of things he did to continue his heroin addiction.

You need a reality check
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    soapyskin wrote: »
    Watched the documentary Fed Up a few nights ago, and it's a bit interesting how this thread touches on a lot of its points. I definitely recommend it to many of the people commenting on this topic.

There is a fuzzy line between educating ourselves/having the will to change vs. falling prey to advertising/taking the easy fast food route. It was hard to look at the families Fed Up chose to follow and not think, "But wait a minute, be accountable for yourself! And your children! Grow up!" The truth is, it isn't easy for many people.

There is so much defensiveness when we blame food companies for our health problems. I'm not entirely sure why. It's almost exactly like the tobacco companies. It's especially sad when you examine the state of most public schools. Everyone has a choice (as well as their own will power), but a thirteen year old is going to be hard-pressed to pick water with a veggie/protein dish over a soda/Gatorade with the frozen pizza or fries. This is a problem, which creates a cycle which may stay with them for the rest of their lives.

I also notice many people justify, "I eat _______, and it's processed, and it's considered fast food, but it's okay because I eat it in moderation." I respectfully disagree with this sentiment, unless "in moderation" means twice a month. When we feed our bodies things that severely lack real nutrients/ingredients, whether or not the scale is moving up or down becomes irrelevant.

The bottom line is prep/cook your food, and love yourself. Take the time to break the cycle, however slowly it takes, and watch cravings start to change. Examine your overall well-being instead of your body image. Start to wonder about your blood results. Because whether or not we're thin, muscular, slightly overweight, or even obese won't matter when the body is undernourished.

Fear mongering Documentary

And as far as Fast Food having no nutritional Information

McDonald's Big Mac

530 Calories
    27g Fat
    47g Carbs
    24g Protein
    960mg Sodium

Seems pretty nutritious to me.
  • GenesiaElizabeth
    edited November 2014
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »

They just don't get it, lol... And yes, I used to love it too.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »

They just don't get it, lol...

Get what?
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,983 Member
    Options
    My two fastest long training runs (13ish miles) were after eating a bunch of Halloween candy and after eating a huge slice of homemade chocolate cake. I felt like I had energy for days and just kept picking up the pace through the run. If junk food is a drug, I'm pretty sure it's a performance enhancing drug that should be banned by the IOC.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

There is no such thing as crap when it comes to food. There is only food, and no food is meant to be eaten in big old bunches until it makes us sick.

If I ate a bunch of broccoli or green peppers or pears, I might get to feeling sick, the same way I feel if I eat way to much salmon or cookies or asparagus or chicken or French toast or Butterfingers or...and the list goes on.

For me, I eat 80% of high nutritional foods and the other 20% is whatever I feel like eating, as long as it fits into my calorie goal.

Everything in moderation.

• soapyskin
    soapyskin Posts: 20 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

McDonald's Big Mac

530 Calories
    27g Fat
    47g Carbs
    24g Protein
    960mg Sodium

Sorry, very new to posting - not sure how to reply to a specific person.
    -
    I agree with the fear mongering aspect - but it had some interesting points, too. As for McDonald's Big Mac breakdown, that doesn't sound great at all.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »

There is ONE answer.

LOL....seriously.

This thread has now got me leaning towards my MFP bingo card. Haven't grabbed it quite yet, but as soon as I see a mean person post.

EDIT: In the haste of my post, someone called fed up a documentary.....that bingo card is getting even closer.

OMG EVERYONE HERE IS SO MEAN *ragequits*

Did you win? Can I get half your winnings? I'm waiting for someone to come into my Dr. Oz post and say "but he's really knowledgeable!"
  • GenesiaElizabeth
    edited November 2014
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

There is ONE answer.

Comparing sugar to cocaine is ridiculous and probably quite offensive to people who actually have real drug problems.

Plenty of people can eat refined sugar in moderation. Plenty of people can do this without health problems.

Your fear mongering and preaching of food avoidance is more harmful than sugar for those who buy into the idea that they need to completely abstain from perfectly fine foods.

I did have drug problem 15 years ago, a multiple drug use problem and it's not offensive to me.. I have come through it though and have become a better person for it. If you are offended, you are simply not healed yet and I apologize.

Sure you can do it in moderation, if you are healthy all around - Good self control, discipline and no current, serious health conditions.

No fear mongering here, I am simply educated about it and not willing to have my family participate in daily junk food consumption. I love them, I care for people and I just want others to be able to enjoy their life like I am finally starting to.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    soapyskin wrote: »

McDonald's Big Mac

530 Calories
    27g Fat
    47g Carbs
    24g Protein
    960mg Sodium

Sorry, very new to posting - not sure how to reply to a specific person.
    -
    I agree with the fear mongering aspect - but it had some interesting points, too. As for McDonald's Big Mac breakdown, that doesn't sound great at all.

If someone can fit 530 calories into their day, then what's the problem? I've never cared for Big Macs, so I don't eat them, but I have switched from getting a Quarter Pounder all the time.