FRIENDSGIVING !!!!

Options

Replies

• librarial
    librarial Posts: 61 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    Okay, so...three gigantic Thanksgiving dinners within (presumably) the same week or so. That's a lot for anybody to handle. No, skipping one of those doesn't seem like "not wanting to hang out with friends" to me. It sounds sensible for a person who is trying to watch her weight.

Who said she's going to stuff herself silly at every one of these meals? Why do you call it "three gigantic Thanksgiving dinners"? Do you think it's possible that by the time one gets to the third Thanksgiving meal, they might be capable of exercising some restraint?

It's entirely possible to see the people you care about three times in one week without destroying your diet. A little turkey, some sweet potatoes, and vegetables can actually be a pretty healthy meal. Just because there's turkey present doesn't mean it's required that you eat a 3,000 calorie meal.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »

If you go back read the thread, you will see I was specifically responding to a specific post that said she should stay home to avoid the calories.

(sigh)

(putting on "patience" face)

Yes. That was a suggestion. And it in no way pointed to just not wanting to hang out with friends in general or thinking it was "weird" to want to hang out with friends in general. It pointed to avoiding tons and tons and tons of crazy Thanksgiving calories within a short period of time.

I'm sorry, that's as far as I can help you, if you are truly not understanding this.

Happy Thanksgiving!
    Lol, I love newbies, they think they know things.

Bit of advice, fresh off the registration screen. Sit back, get the lay of the land, and try not acting like you know what's going on until you do.

Your post made no sense, and was inappropriately condescending. That's not how we act here.
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Most Friendsgivings start as early as October in the U.S. I highly doubt that there will be 3 Friendsgivings with the same group of friends. More likely they are different groups so if it was me I would like to attend each to see a large group of different friends at each one.

Mine is tomorrow and I plan on hitting the pool hard in the am. I modified a cranberry salad I usually bring to be healthier. I will concentrate on turkey and the healthier options and on serving myself so friends, in the name of being good hosts, don't serve me supersized portions.

Simply put, it's a way to spend time with people you love in a special setting before the hectic holidays start. I can certainly accommodate that into my goals without blowing my week with a couple of phrases. "No, thank you." "That looks delicious! I'll try some later." And just not going back. "I'm so full! It was wonderful." I might add this year "Does anyone want to go for a walk?"

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

If you go back read the thread, you will see I was specifically responding to a specific post that said she should stay home to avoid the calories.

(sigh)

Yes. That was a suggestion. And it in no way pointed to just not wanting to hang out with friends in general or thinking it was "weird" to want to hang out with friends in general. It pointed to avoiding tons and tons and tons of crazy Thanksgiving calories within a short period of time.

I'm sorry, that's as far as I can help you, if you are truly not understanding this.

Happy Thanksgiving!
    Lol, I love newbies, they think they know things.

Bit of advice, fresh off the registration screen. Sit back, get the lay of the land, and try not acting like you know what's going on until you do.

Your post made no sense, and was inappropriately condescending. That's not how we act here.

Thank you. She was definitely inappropriately condescending. There's about 2,000 posts of context she's missing out on.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

(sigh)

Happy Thanksgiving!

condescending2.jpg

• BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    moderation
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    "SKINNY-STEALTHING" Along with the more common survival strategies, one my general holiday/ party/ gathering strategies is what I call "skinny stealthing".

There is inevitably one or two of my skinny friends or relatives at the gatherings, and so I "stealth" them by (a) trying to model my portions/ food choices after theirs; and (b) eating at the same pace that they do.

It's a great exercise in mindfulness to watch what my "target" puts on his/her plate (they don't try to cram every little corner full or get a taste of EVERYTHING like I do . . .)

Also If I wait to take a bite until my "target" takes a bite, I find I spend much less time eating and much more time talking, chatting, listening, and generally engaged in the cameraderie of the event and less obsessed by the food.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

(sigh)

Happy Thanksgiving!

Yeah you are new

• yopeeps025
    Options
    I suggest you have dinner at home. Why go out and add more calories.

I wonder if this poster has a bad relationship with food?

• PRMinx
    Options
    "SKINNY-STEALTHING" Along with the more common survival strategies, one my general holiday/ party/ gathering strategies is what I call "skinny stealthing".

There is inevitably one or two of my skinny friends or relatives at the gatherings, and so I "stealth" them by (a) trying to model my portions/ food choices after theirs; and (b) eating at the same pace that they do.

It's a great exercise in mindfulness to watch what my "target" puts on his/her plate (they don't try to cram every little corner full or get a taste of EVERYTHING like I do . . .)

Also If I wait to take a bite until my "target" takes a bite, I find I spend much less time eating and much more time talking, chatting, listening, and generally engaged in the cameraderie of the event and less obsessed by the food.

I would not recommend this tactic. You do not know what that person ate earlier in the day, or what that person is going to eat later on. I have days when I don't eat until dinner time AND I work out and I'll go to a party and eat everything. If you followed my pattern, you would be consuming 1700 calories.

Then, I have days when I've already eaten and I'm not very hungry. So, I'm not eating. But, now you think I just don't eat, even though I had a cheeseburger three hours ago.

See the problem?

Focus on yourself and on your goals. Learn how to discipline yourself.
  • PRMinx
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    I suggest you have dinner at home. Why go out and add more calories.

I wonder if this poster has a bad relationship with food?

He does. He yelled at me once for eating Thai food.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

This is just odd.

Do you know if this person stopped and had a big dinner before going to the party, so they wouldn't be hungry and eating everything in sight???

Also sounds like you are spending too much time focusing on this person, and less time actually enjoying the time with friends and family.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

When I was a size 3 (around 110 pounds), I ate ALL THE FOODZ and I have always eaten fast. And then I ate ALL THE DESSERTS.

So, yeah ...
  • PRMinx
    Options

This is just odd.

Do you know if this person stopped and had a big dinner before going to the party, so they wouldn't be hungry and eating everything in sight???

Also sounds like you are spending too much time focusing on this person, and less time actually enjoying the time with friends and family.

Not to mention, it's a little creepy to think people are watching you eat that closely.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

This is just odd.

Not to mention, it's a little creepy to think people are watching you eat that closely.

Yea that would freak me out. I don't want anyone following me around matching what I shove in my mouth.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Why would I ever base my food choices on what skinny friends are doing? What could their genetics and/or nutritional needs tell me about MY genetics and needs?

I also prefer to not stalk people throughout parties and mimic their every action. Because people would notice, and think I was out of my mind.

And they'd be right to think that.
  • ivygirl1937
    ivygirl1937 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    My friends and I did a Friendsgiving several times in college when they couldn't go home (or they would come home with me) and several years since. To this day, my favorite Thanksgiving was the one where it was just me and my college roommate (whom I love like a sister) just whipping up this slightly healthier and smaller version of a ridiculous Thanksgiving meal and it was delicious. We ate, walked, watched movies, and just hung out and it was awesome. :smile:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

I would be seriously creeped out if I noticed anyone doing this to me. :laugh: I hope you're discreet.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

LOL your target. What if your target has not eaten all day and saved for the big dinner. They get seconds and thirds. You still going to copy?