FRIENDSGIVING !!!!

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Oh! One year on Thanksgiving, my mom and aunt came down and we all went to my BFF's place with some local friends of hers. We proceeded to get kind of drunk, my BFF and I confessed all the bad things we did as teenagers that my mother never knew about and then watched Deliverance.

It was the best Thanksgiving, but has potential to end in puking (more from the movie than the alcohol), so maybe you could try that.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    This is my Skinny-Stealthing:

stuff_some_choc_in_your_face_by_djklink20009-d727niv.gif
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    "SKINNY-STEALTHING" Along with the more common survival strategies, one my general holiday/ party/ gathering strategies is what I call "skinny stealthing".

There is inevitably one or two of my skinny friends or relatives at the gatherings, and so I "stealth" them by (a) trying to model my portions/ food choices after theirs; and (b) eating at the same pace that they do.

It's a great exercise in mindfulness to watch what my "target" puts on his/her plate (they don't try to cram every little corner full or get a taste of EVERYTHING like I do . . .)

Also If I wait to take a bite until my "target" takes a bite, I find I spend much less time eating and much more time talking, chatting, listening, and generally engaged in the cameraderie of the event and less obsessed by the food.
    uhm, this... is kinda neurotic, eh?

I mean, wth, stalking someone, based on body size. What if they're a binge/purger? What if they haven't eaten all day and strapped on the pants with the elastic band for this meal? I mean...

Why not just control what you eat and your pace on your own?
  • dbmata
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    "SKINNY-STEALTHING" Along with the more common survival strategies, one my general holiday/ party/ gathering strategies is what I call "skinny stealthing".

There is inevitably one or two of my skinny friends or relatives at the gatherings, and so I "stealth" them by (a) trying to model my portions/ food choices after theirs; and (b) eating at the same pace that they do.

It's a great exercise in mindfulness to watch what my "target" puts on his/her plate (they don't try to cram every little corner full or get a taste of EVERYTHING like I do . . .)

Also If I wait to take a bite until my "target" takes a bite, I find I spend much less time eating and much more time talking, chatting, listening, and generally engaged in the cameraderie of the event and less obsessed by the food.

This is just odd.

Do you know if this person stopped and had a big dinner before going to the party, so they wouldn't be hungry and eating everything in sight???

Also sounds like you are spending too much time focusing on this person, and less time actually enjoying the time with friends and family.

Not to mention, it's a little creepy to think people are watching you eat that closely.

Yea that would freak me out. I don't want anyone following me around matching what I shove in my mouth.

Dunno, might be interesting if it's one of them 70s era key parties. lol.
  • dbmata
    Options
    ps - "and then watched Deliverance."

Thats just awesome.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    BrettPGH_ wrote: »

If I caught someone trying to do this with me I would mess with them in so many ways...

This. I'm thinking I'd take a big bite of food, wait for my stalker to follow suit and then spit it out quite publicly.

And that would be just the start.

• dbmata
    Options
    bostonwolf wrote: »
    BrettPGH_ wrote: »

If I caught someone trying to do this with me I would mess with them in so many ways...

This. I'm thinking I'd take a big bite of food, wait for my stalker to follow suit and then spit it out quite publicly.

And that would be just the start.
    Lol.

If they're a true mimic, I'd hit the whisky.

I could outlast them.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    This is all I can think about now....

crazy-cat-devil-walk-fall-gif.gif
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I hope if anyone ever "skinny-stealths" me...

...that they work hard when not eating. Otherwise, it's probably not going to end well for them.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    ps - "and then watched Deliverance."

Thats just awesome.
    It really was.

What is even better is this happened exactly ONCE and my fiance keeps telling people we do it every year and it's a tradition. And he rallies for us to watch it every year, but I refuse. Thankfully, the DVD belonged to my BFF's roommate and he moved across the country and no one else has a copy.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Hahahaha. But it's a tradition! I dig it.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I generally volunteer to take a salad - then I do a stacked salad in a trifle bowl. Lettuce, celery, radishes, peas, then top it with some mayo and Parmesan cheese. I sometimes will add sliced hard-boiled eggs on top for decoration. It's fairly healthy, pretty, and it tastes good.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

How is that "less obsessed by the food"? If anything that sounds like way more obsessive compulsive behavior then just making wise choices yourself and eating mindfully...

I am totally going to be paranoid now that people are "skinny stealthing" me at holiday events. I am sure I will be doing a lot of this...

tumblr_lrlqoc6EU61qmlph5.gif
  • meltedsno
    meltedsno Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I always take a few dishes to share... even when told there is no need to bring food. At least I know that there will be something there I can comfortably eat without feeling like I am blowing my food plan. Inevitably, my dishes are usually the first emptied because it seems everyone these days are looking to eat a little more healthy.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I generally volunteer to take a salad - then I do a stacked salad in a trifle bowl. Lettuce, celery, radishes, peas, then top it with some mayo and Parmesan cheese. I sometimes will add sliced hard-boiled eggs on top for decoration. It's fairly healthy, pretty, and it tastes good.

Mayo...Parmesan...what? That is pretty much the opposite of "fairly healthy" by most people's definition. If you're trying to lighten up a Thanksgiving dinner I think mayo is exactly the opposite of what you should be doing.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    PRMinx wrote: »

If you go back read the thread, you will see I was specifically responding to a specific post that said she should stay home to avoid the calories.

(sigh)

(putting on "patience" face)

Yes. That was a suggestion. And it in no way pointed to just not wanting to hang out with friends in general or thinking it was "weird" to want to hang out with friends in general. It pointed to avoiding tons and tons and tons of crazy Thanksgiving calories within a short period of time.

I'm sorry, that's as far as I can help you, if you are truly not understanding this.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Maybe put the patience face on, start back at the beginning of the thread and realize who she actually responded to and why.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

Ways to not get invited back out for social gatherings if someone notices this, and they probably will as you would have to be "monitoring" them kind of closely.

It's got a really creepy stalkerish vibe to it.

Disclaimer: the statement creepy, stalkerish vibe refers to the actions/method above.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Putting on IDC face.
  • robinred2
    robinred2 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with taking foods you can eat. You could even call your hostess and ask if you may. That way you can enjoy your friends and not feel guilty about ruining your eating plan.
  • dbmata
    Options
    robinred2 wrote: »
    There is nothing wrong with taking foods you can eat. You could even call your hostess and ask if you may. That way you can enjoy your friends and not feel guilty about ruining your eating plan.

Sage advice.

It's also pretty proactive. "Hey, I can't eat the snicker's salad. So, I'll bring a Waldorf Salad."

Resolved!