FRIENDSGIVING !!!!

Options

Replies

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    "SKINNY-STEALTHING" Along with the more common survival strategies, one my general holiday/ party/ gathering strategies is what I call "skinny stealthing".

There is inevitably one or two of my skinny friends or relatives at the gatherings, and so I "stealth" them by (a) trying to model my portions/ food choices after theirs; and (b) eating at the same pace that they do.

It's a great exercise in mindfulness to watch what my "target" puts on his/her plate (they don't try to cram every little corner full or get a taste of EVERYTHING like I do . . .)

Also If I wait to take a bite until my "target" takes a bite, I find I spend much less time eating and much more time talking, chatting, listening, and generally engaged in the cameraderie of the event and less obsessed by the food.

:laugh: I'm such a dork. Between this post and condescending cat, why are these the funniest things I've read in a while!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Why can't we have an FFG instead of an FG?
  • MelodyandBarbells
    edited November 2014
    Options
    But aren't a lot of people on MFP skinny stealthing? Many of us add friends to our list especially when we first start out for the express purpose of seeing what they eat so we can get some ideas. And Rose is stealthy - she ain't gettin' caught. ;) What do you guys know, she probably skinny stealthed you already. Skinny Steathing For The Win!!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    But aren't a lot of people on MFP skinny stealthing? Many of us add friends to our list especially when we first start out for the express purpose of seeing what they eat so we can get some ideas. And Rose is stealthy - she ain't gettin' caught. ;) What do you guys know, she probably skinny stealthed you already. Skinny Steathing For The Win!!

Honestly I've always thought it was strange to add people so you can see what they eat also. :laugh:

But I realize many people do it.
  • dbmata
    Options

uh, no, I add people who have big ol hooters in their pics.

I love owls.
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options

Honestly I've always thought it was strange to add people so you can see what they eat also. :laugh:

But I realize many people do it.

I've been around almost a year and had no idea this was a thing. I add people mostly if we share similar interests (fitness or non health interests). I guess I've been MFPing wrong. :( Oh well. :)

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

NO I do not do this.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

NO I do not do this.

Didn't say everybody did

• dbmata
    Options
    People shouldn't, if they're adults.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    People shouldn't, if they're adults.

That's like saying IMO that people shouldn't need MFP if they are adults. We each use the site differently, and I may not need the support or info you need and vice versa. I know when I first started and MFP gave me a recommendation of 1380 calories, I needed to know HTH people were able to do that consistently or at least how such a plan worked over the long term. Not just a couple meal suggestions, months. Sounds pretty adult to me to be able to review and analyze cold hard data and formulate a plan based on it.

It wasn't until several months after I started posting on forums that I discovered posts calling for open diaries, which essentially have the same purpose. I still peek in completed diaries for ideas from time to time since I get bored eating the same foods and frankly generally favor higher calorie items than my body weight can support
  • JoshuaL86
    JoshuaL86 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    This is the first time I've heard of Friendsgiving. Must mean I don't have any friends.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

Getting meal ideas/ recipes from other peoples diaries is one thing, but if you start mimicking exactly what they eat, their timing while they eat, and whatever is creepy.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options

Getting meal ideas/ recipes from other peoples diaries is one thing, but if you start mimicking exactly what they eat, their timing while they eat, and whatever is creepy.

Oooh... Dunkin donuts and coffee for Meal 1 yesterday, I know where I'm stopping on my way to work today! Wait, could you tell me what time exactly you ate the donut? Oh no, that's not very stealthy is it :|
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

This!

There's an enormous difference between peeping diaries on a site intended for it where, by making your diary public, you are giving consent v. being stalked at a dinner party.

Also, from a practical perspective, diaries here show the whole day of food. If you are "skinny stealthing" at a party, you have no way of knowing how much food was eaten before, or after, the event.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »

This!

There's an enormous difference between peeping diaries on a site intended for it where, by making your diary public, you are giving consent v. being stalked at a dinner party.

Also, from a practical perspective, diaries here show the whole day of food. If you are "skinny stealthing" at a party, you have no way of knowing how much food was eaten before, or after, the event.

I'd say by being in public you're giving your consent to having other people eat the same food you are. How about when people order the same food you do at a restaurant, oh noozz!!

Who cares about what their diet is like normally? I would assume you wouldn't skinny stealth someone eating a bunch. And if you eat too little because you're copying someone who ate a ton of food prior - it's one meal, won't kill ya
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

Oooh... Dunkin donuts and coffee for Meal 1 yesterday, I know where I'm stopping on my way to work today! Wait, could you tell me what time exactly you ate the donut? Oh no, that's not very stealthy is it :|

First we'll use your example of you stealthing my diary. If someone is going to not ask questions and just watch what others eat: Do they know that yesterday I went for an 8 mile bike ride before stopping for that donut? Do they know what goals I have.. right now I'm working towards maintenance so mirroring what I'm doing is not a good idea for someone trying to lose. They also aren't following me around watching my every move to know if and when they should eat something.
    I'd say by being in public you're giving your consent to having other people eat the same food you are. How about when people order the same food you do at a restaurant, oh noozz!!

Who cares about what their diet is like normally? I would assume you wouldn't skinny stealth someone eating a bunch. And if you eat too little because you're copying someone who ate a ton of food prior - it's one meal, won't kill ya

When I'm in public I'm not giving my consent to have people follow me around and mimic my every move. Being in a restaurant and someone orders something that might sound good is again much different than sitting back going .. oh that person has the body I want, I'll order what they have and think it's going to make me miraculously have that body.

Again this is creepy stalkerish and won't achieve any thing because you don't have the big picture. Will it kill the person doing it.. maybe maybe not.. depending on who they choose to stalk.. I would be freaked out and would confront them
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

This!

You can't possibly be serious, can you?

I'm not touching the first one. I will say though if I ever saw someone watching me at a party to eat what I eat, when I eat it, I will think they are a crazy person and I won't feel bad about it.

Now, to my latter point, the poster said this was a diet method for her. This means that she is using this routine because she feels it will help her manage her calories better at a party. She qualifies her targets based on how skinny they are. This is the information we have based on her post...

A LOT of skinny people are misleading when you see them at parties. Some workout beforehand, some do IF, some have obscenely high metabolisms because they have a very active lifestyle. Thus, following them and eating what they are eating as a way to lose weight is going to inevitably fail. If you followed me at a party and ate what I ate, you'd easily go over on your calories because 9/10 times I haven't eaten that day and I'm blowing my whole calorie allotment at that event.

You can argue this for the sake of arguing (and, honestly, it seems like that's what you are doing), but this is a diet and fitness site. We have lurkers that read these boards. So, for their sake (and for newbies) do not, I REPEAT DO NOT, blindly copy what other people are eating and assume that it's right for you.

If you want to be successful, be responsible for your own goals and your own diet based on the very specifics nuances of your life, health and fitness level.

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

This!

There is a difference between two people at a restaurant ordering the same thing off the menu and someone following another person around, putting exactly the same items on his or her plate and then only taking a bite when the other person takes a bite.

That is weird and creepy and not exactly mentally healthy.

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    robinred2 wrote: »
    There is nothing wrong with taking foods you can eat. You could even call your hostess and ask if you may. That way you can enjoy your friends and not feel guilty about ruining your eating plan.

Sage advice.

It's also pretty proactive. "Hey, I can't eat the snicker's salad. So, I'll bring a Waldorf Salad."

Resolved!
    Don't mention the war!

• MelodyandBarbells
    Options

This!

You can't possibly be serious, can you?

I'm not touching the first one. I will say though if I ever saw someone watching me at a party to eat what I eat, when I eat it, I will think they are a crazy person and I won't feel bad about it.

Now, to my latter point, the poster said this was a diet method for her. This means that she is using this routine because she feels it will help her manage her calories better at a party. She qualifies her targets based on how skinny they are. This is the information we have based on her post...

A LOT of skinny people are misleading when you see them at parties. Some workout beforehand, some do IF, some have obscenely high metabolisms because they have a very active lifestyle. Thus, following them and eating what they are eating as a way to lose weight is going to inevitably fail. If you followed me at a party and ate what I ate, you'd easily go over on your calories because 9/10 times I haven't eaten that day and I'm blowing my whole calorie allotment at that event.

You can argue this for the sake of arguing (and, honestly, it seems like that's what you are doing), but this is a diet and fitness site. We have lurkers that read these boards. So, for their sake (and for newbies) do not, I REPEAT DO NOT, blindly copy what other people are eating and assume that it's right for you.

If you want to be successful, be responsible for your own goals and your own diet based on the very specifics nuances of your life, health and fitness level.

As already stated, if I were skinny stealthing and you were scarfing down double cheese burgers, you wouldn't be my target

Please don't speak about mental health when rather than have a good laugh at this topic you're acting as though you're being violated in some way. Talk about first world problems

Serious or not, I highly doubt a PSA is needed to instruct people to avoid copying blow out days. I do those all by myself. If anything I would need to know how to be satisfied with rabbit food and/or less calories in general. If people were 100% responsible for their own diets, why would we need a supportive site like MFP? I just see a lot of parallels is all. I'll freely confess that Skinny stealthing is not much of a stretch from what I'm already doing. Plus it sounds fun as hell; I gotta give it a shot sometime :laugh: