Options
13»

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    Acg67 wrote: »
    Protein is highly insulinogenic, Whoops there goes the premise of fathead and taubes.

Protein stimulates insulin response with a counteracting glucagon response leaving blood sugar the same.

Carbohydrates stimulate insulin response to store the carbs / reduce fat oxidation and bring down the elevated blood glucose from the carb intake, with less/no glucagon response.

LCHF diets are more about the fat than protein, and the insulin response to cream is not significant despite some lactose and casein presence :
    cream+and+insulin.jpg

Inconsequential to my point, in which both state and fathead state that carbs and carbs only lead to insulin secretion, therefore carbs make you fat. Plus is the glucagon response whole body or localized to the liver?

Fathead has that hilarious little graphic in which gylcogenesis does not exist in their little fantasy world and glucose is either burned or its stored as fat through dnl

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    foxyplayon wrote: »
    Lmao, if you haven't found anything to dispute the nonsensical resources you posted above, you're not very good at researching.

Protein is highly insulinogenic, Whoops there goes the premise of fathead and taubes. Did you actually read the full studies grain brain and wheat belly reference? The authors totally misrepresent the findings of those studies and are essentially works of fiction. LOLstig? You haven't found a shred of evidence to dispute his nonsense? Lol

Volek and Phinney? Wonder where they get their funding from and if there's anything noticeable in their study designs, hmm

I have not read the Wilson book, but she eats zero carb? Carbs are sugars you know, right?

Thanks for your input Acg67. No I have not read full studies as yet or read them all. But will get around to them as I continue my own experiment and researching. Its great that you have a different view that I will investigate. No I haven't found a shred of evidence to dispute them. Could you please help me here. It is obvious you have.

Where do Volek and Phinney get there funding from?

Yes I know carbs are sugars? How does one eat no carbs?

You know that fat/lipids are made up of the same elements as carbs and they break down to carbon dioxide and water.

Lucky I'm not eating as much protein as the carbs like I used to (imagine my insulin then)
    I assume it would peak exactly the same as carbs insulinogenic properties. I guess I'm also lucky that I'm focusing on eating fats then.

With my goal to drop my fat content I guess it's working for me. My major concern was with my HDL and LDL markers and atherosclerosis formation, my energy levels and general wellbeing. The documentary Cereal Killers (2013) and some other research (I forget who but it was probably Taubes/Volek) that there are 2 types of LDL, fluffy large and high density/small. If the small is relatively lower then the fluffy type then your supposedly not at a high risk of disease. True?

I need somebody to show me some resources to despute my findings as I'm STILL quite convinced otherwise. Acg67 what do you do differently as something else must be working for? How much does laughing your *kitten* off lose in fat?

Thanks Charlottesometimes23 for your constructive thoughts and giving me more to practice my research skills, which is time consuming. Wish I could give up my day job.

Cheers and Thanks
    Succeeding to date LCHF dieter and MFP user[/quote]

Ah right, you need someone to do the research for you. If you haven't found a single shred of evidence to dispute any of the sources you've listed, you've been suffering from severe bias while researching.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    RoseyDgirl wrote: »
    I also hesitate to tell anyone to eat ketosis levels unless a last resort. Take into account how many people went the Atkins diet route lost tons of weight, and then as soon as they added carbs back, the weight fell on them like crazy.

I'm not saying low carb is bad, but when you go to the low ketosis levels, it's very difficult to come out of that type of restricted type diet and not gain. and, for a 5 lb fat loss, totally not worth that future battle.

why not start your low carb process with 100 carbs, with no grains, and no processed foods. See how your body reacts to it - and, if you don't lose in a few weeks - then consider a stricter regimen.
    -
    The weight came back because they over ate. Just like the legions of people who stop using MFP. They gain the weight back, and then they come back talking about how they fell off the calorie counting/weighing/measuring lifestyle "wagon".
    It's not unique to atkins or low carb, and is disingenuous to pretend it is.
  • JoKnowsJo
    JoKnowsJo Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »
    foxyplayon wrote: »
    Great to hear all your stories.

I was very skeptical with this LCHF diet until I went on it and continually investigated its claims. I have been on it since Friday 14th November 2014. My current weight is 97.8kg down from 100kg.

I felt very lethargic in my 2-3 weeks, sometimes called "Atkins Flu" (similar to zSandman describes). Took 4 days of training off and slept. Cramping in the stomach and constipation. One day I ate my usual diet of high carbs (hoping to improve the constipation and lethargy) and felt a little better but learnt more about the Diet, finding out that I had the "Atkins Flu" from the Atkins Diet.

My vitals that I have been measuring have improved (yet to have regular blood analysis) including my Blood Pressure has improving low risk safe limits (128/73 HR40). I have had hypertension most of my life (sporting one at that) and have been taking meds for it for quite a long time (>10 years) due to my father also suffering the same. My BP has never been this good.

I am a relatively very tall large active paddler training for the Australian National Dragon Boat "Auroras" team to compete in the World Championships in August 2015. My coach before I secured my selection said he wanted me to be 95kg and have a six-pack and I was only a borderline selection. For more than 6 months leading up to the 3 day intensive selection trials on the 1st November 2014 I set MFP to 93kg goal weight starting at 104kg. Followed it religiously occasionally just going over my calorie count. During the selection camp I only got to down to just over 100kgs weight. The MFP calorie in and calories out stopped working for me? This meant my body weight bench marks tests were going to be hard as testing is based on lifting your bodyweight on Pull Ups, Bench press, situps, beep test and Paddling in a TK1 adapted kayak boat. I luckily made the the team and so my target is still to get to the 93kg weight soon and to have that 6-pack.

My doubts about the LCHF have been overcome with continuous research. I discovered that there are political reasons why the last 30 years of medical and health advice has deemed FAT the villain and the Carbohydrates as the healthy option. I have totally reversed my thinking, now with my nutrition pie chart report being dominated by villain red with a dash of blue carbohydrate. Most notable is that I don't feel the need to snack even when I am training twice a day 3 times a week and once eery other day. I have more energy and enjoy the fatty meals of scrambled eggs, bacon with all the fat, nuts, full cream milk, berries yogurt, cream, cappuccinos with a tsp of Stevia. Baked a New York Style Cheesecake for my wife's birthday, the cauliflower rice is interesting, cheese and butter on my vegetables.

i1xn55jjpzq6.png
    e7bc0j9gxoh3.png
    qfuyll5xd35m.jpg

Originally saw the diet on an Australia science program called
    "Catalyst - LOW CARB DIET FAT OR FICTION" Thursday, 13 November 2014 http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/4126228.htm.

Other resources that have cemented my thoughts and belief are

ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT LOW CARB HIGH FAT
    http://www.peterbrukner.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/All-you-need-to-know-about-LCHF1.pdf

BOOKS
    The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance by Jeff Volek & Stephen Phinney
    zSandman - I recommend this one for you as an athlete.

Why We Get Fat: And What to Do about It by Gary Taubes

I Quit Sugar for Life by Sarah Wilson

MOVIES
    Cereal Killers http://www.cerealkillersmovie.com Highly recommended that you watch this first
    Fat Head www.fathead-­‐movie.com

YOUTUBE VIDEOS
    Tim Noakes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IYVIdztWWs&feature=youtu.be&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3F
    v%3D5IYVIdztWWs%26feature%3Dyoutu.be&app=desktop

Grant Schofield http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9Ovfw7mKR0

Gary Taubes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDneyrETR2o

David Perlmutter “Grain Brain” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2c2Oq-­‐Pi2o

Wiliam Davis “Wheat Belly” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbBURnqYVzw

Jeff Volek http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC1vMBRFiwE

Peter Brukner http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMuD4Z-­‐Oxys

Peter Attia – diabetes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMhLBPPtlrY

Robert Lustig–sugar
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-­‐oM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8dWNbEscOw

Mary Vernon http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaquSijXJkQ

I need somebody to show me some resources to despute my findings as I'm quite convinced otherwise.

Cheers
    Succeeding to date LCHF dieter and MFP user

Lmao, if you haven't found anything to dispute the nonsensical resources you posted above, you're not very good at researching.

Protein is highly insulinogenic, Whoops there goes the premise of fathead and taubes. Did you actually read the full studies grain brain and wheat belly reference? The authors totally misrepresent the findings of those studies and are essentially works of fiction. LOLstig? You haven't found a shred of evidence to dispute his nonsense? Lol

Volek and Phinney? Wonder where they get their funding from and if there's anything noticeable in their study designs, hmm

I have not read the Wilson book, but she eats zero carb? Carbs are sugars you know, right?

Ugh... I have the Wilson book and yes she limits her total intake of (sugars, sorry yes I just typed that in here) please all go to that thread...(not here) to between 6-9 grams a day, added, natural sugars whatever, (it's all carbs) and I found it's almost impossible to adhere to. Most of the recipes taste horrible...I have tried it for a few weeks and I can't do it consistently I miss natural carbs. fruit in general. She does push more protein, eggs, nuts, bacon, natural fats. It's basically a very low carb. high fat and protein approach ( which yes I fell for). I am now trying to re gear, that's why I noticed this thread.
  • eraser51
    eraser51 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    hey

did someone also tried a higher protein approach?

I am not losing since 3 months :/

tried higher fat, fat fast, cutting cheese, cutting aspartame, cutting nuts.

how high can I go with protein?
    also heard about that hcg thing which is pure protein....

is it still calories in and out!?
    there is no starvation mode right?
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,961 Member
    Options
    eraser51 wrote: »
    hey

did someone also tried a higher protein approach?

I am not losing since 3 months :/

tried higher fat, fat fast, cutting cheese, cutting aspartame, cutting nuts.

how high can I go with protein?
    also heard about that hcg thing which is pure protein....

is it still calories in and out!?
    there is no starvation mode right?

No starvation mode. CICO still applies. I recommend trying to stay around 1g protein per 1kg body weight. If you go a little bit over, it isn't a huge deal, but try not to go too crazy.

So if after meeting the macros and staying in a calorie deficit and drinking enough water and you still aren't losing weight, either you have a med you are taking that is hampering you or a medical condition, or you are eating more than you think. Try to weigh all your food more accurately. Check your calorie deficit as well.

Accuracy and consistency over time will get you where you need to be. Some people just lose really slowly. As long as the overall trend is downward, it's fine. Have your measurements decreased? That's something to look at.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    19 years old, 5 foot 9, 158 pounds, im really doing this as i want to shed a bit of belly fat but also change my diet to one that i can sustain and make myself healthier in the long term
    So you're already at a healthy weight, you just want to change body composition.
    Lower fat & higher protein, plus moderate cardio & increasing weightlifting would probably get you what you want.
    Most days i try to keep my carb intake anywhere from 20g to 50g of carbs, Fat usually is around 90g - 120g a day and protein is around 150g - 180g a day. So what do you think guys?
    Carbs are way too low, fat is a bit high, protein is a bit high.

Here's a table which explains the healthy ranges of carbs, fat, & protein.
    page 1, carbs, 45 - 65% of calories (4 cal per gram)
    page 2, fat, 20 - 35% of calories (9 cal per gram)
    page 4, protein, 10 - 35% of calories (4 cal per gram)

So for someone with a calorie goal of 2000 per day, that would be
    50% carbs, 1000 cal, 250 g
    25% fat, 500 cal, 56g
    25% protein, 500 cal, 125 g
    (Just to take the simplest example.)

51637601.png
  • Turning_Hopes_to_Habits
    Options
    I don't low-carb it, I have averaged 196 carbs/day over the past 21 weeks. Most of that is from veggies and beans, although there is the occasional week that I went overboard (I may never buy Hawaiian rolls again!). That said, I do have to keep tight control over pasta and bread, just due to the fact it takes a lot of calories in them to fill me up. So I approach them cautiously, which I don't with any kind of vegetable, bean, or even rice for that matter. But if spaghetti or angel hair pasta is what's for dinner, I have to make sure I have a plate full of other stuff that will actually fill me up, because 1 cup of pasta is an appetizer as far as I'm concerned. :blush:
  • Nikkei74
    Nikkei74 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I tried it for 12 weeks and had a couple of issues. The main one was that I struggled to eat enough on a day to day basis. I was getting to around 800 calories per day, then feeling absolutely repulsed by food. I discussed this with the nutritionist who had suggested the plan, and she said that's perfectly normal and even desirable. No thanks! I'm not sure if this is coincidental, but for the 12 weeks, I also suffered more frequently from acid reflux, and had some pretty significant gallbladder pain. After the 12 weeks, when I couldn't face another piece of chicken breast with cauliflower rice, I got to enjoy my first and only instance of yo-yo weight gain. I feel this was pretty strongly correlated with starting to enjoy food again for the first time in 3 months.

On the plus side, yes, I lost 5 kilos in the 12 weeks, and my waistline looked better than it had in a while. It also "reset" my taste preferences, and I've found lots of foods pretty sweet ever since. This has persisted for over 6 months now, and is by far the biggest benefit I got out of it. By contrast, I find calorie restriction is a walk in the park compared to the restricted eating that LCHF offers to someone who finds bacon repugnant/doesn't eat any red meat.

As for Sarah Wilson, she lost all credibility when she consistently stated that you can give up sugar and still eat dextrose. The book really should be titled "I quit some fructose".
  • foxyplayon
    foxyplayon Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Loving Low Carb High Fat diet couldn't be healthier
  • Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Hi guys so this is my first week at being on a Low carb mod protein high fat diet, according to the scales i have lost around 2 pounds so i know something is going correctly. I honestly do not have a lot of weight to lose as i am 19 years old, 5 foot 9, 158 pounds, im really doing this as i want to shed a bit of belly fat but also change my diet to one that i can sustain and make myself healthier in the long term. This first week has not gone to bad, i seem to be filling up a lot quick on High fat, Moderate protein and Low Carb, Before this week by the time i reached around 2000-2300 calories i would be hungry for more sweets, biscuits, that sort of thing, but now its like my body knows when it is naturally full. An example of the sorts of foods a have been eating are -
    Steaks, Lean meats, Eggs, Fish such as Sardines or Tuna, Full fat mayonnaise, Peanut Butter, Almonds, Walnuts, and Vegetables and salads such as Tomatoes, Iceberg lettuce, Cucumber, Carrots, that sort of thing. Most days i try to keep my carb intake anywhere from 20g to 50g of carbs, Fat usually is around 90g - 120g a day and protein is around 150g - 180g a day. So what do you think guys? is this diet working for any of you, can you give me any tips?, i would appreciate any feedback thanks, Dan :) also my diary is open.

You can check my profile page, my results are listed there (I'm 5'7", 155lbs and aiming for 145lbs-- I started at 170lbs)
    My diet is low net carbs (carbs - fiber), aiming for below 50g net.
    I eat Proteins (grass-fed beef, organic chicken and eggs, seafood, protein drinks), vegetables (non-starchy) and healthy fats, aiming for about 120g protein
    I don't eat grains, dairy, fruit or sugar.
    My fiber intake is high (very important!!), 35-45g (for a man it should be 50g).
    Fat intake is high (because I've removed carbs), at 40-50% of daily cals.

Results:
    In a month I've lost 15lbs and 2.8% bodyfat. My appetite has normalized, I don't have cravings, and am hungry only with a genuine appetite...I don't snack as I feel that over-stimulates appetite. I am able to maintain a deficit without mood issues or blood sugar issues (I have a glucometer). In fact, this has normalized my blood sugar readings (they were high). I have high energy, and am walking, biking some, and lifting.

The way your body deposits its fat is dependent on hormone influence....high stress, sleeplessness and high sugar in the blood from excess carbohydrate intake can put fat on your midsection. So whatever you do with your diet, exercise and lifestyle, if you are stressed, this tends to work against your efforts at a healthy body composition. So it's important to keep that in mind.

I'm going to continue with this diet for a few more weeks at least. I'm upping my lifting game on Monday morning...and using that as a main method for reshaping and body composition, with a small amount of cardio.

What I like best about this diet, is that it is so sustainable....it's just the essentials, and that is always a good way to eat, and promotes good habits and promotes a good response from your body.

• foxyplayon
    foxyplayon Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Feeling the good life - just keep going and watch out for the atkins flu - feel like you got the flu but this is normal transition to ketosis. Burn Baby Burn :)