13»

Replies

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    lsgibbs83 wrote: »
    There is no one "diet" or eating plan that works for everyone. If you have something that works for you, great! Keep at it.

I have stated my thoughts on the subject. I have the support of my Physician and CNP.

Have a great day :)

Fine, and I respect that. I suspect your Physician and CNP are defining 'clean' as a healthy and balanced diet, which has a calorie deficit sufficient to lose fat. Which is cool - we could use a hell of a lot more of that kind of thinking.

My concern is more for the people who think substituting brown bread for white, cookies for bananas, and chicken breast for KFC is going to do the job for them. It isn't.

For some, it makes all the difference in the world.

By what mechanism? By helping them maintain a calorie deficit, or through some other magic having to do with them not containing unpronouncable ingredients?

Because I'm pretty good at pronouncing those.

People who have medical conditions… typically autoimmune diseases.

So substituting brown bread for white, cookies for bananas, and chicken breast for KFC is going to help those with autoimmune diseases? And while I agree that eliminating certain substances from the diets of those with specific medical conditions which react to them can be beneficial, I'm not sure what bearing that has on the general population.
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    lsgibbs83 wrote: »
    Clean eating is a hot topic right now. Looking at how my Grandparents, who were farmers, ate, they were "Clean Eating" before it was trendy. Even as a child we ate pretty clean. Most veggies were from our own gardens and my Mom and Grandma spent days on end every summer canning and freezing them to last the winter and spring until the next year's harvest. Other than salad veggies and, for some reason peas, we never purchased commercially canned veggies. We got our chicken and eggs from Grandma. These were free range, non-hormone/antibiotic fed chickens. All terms that were unknown at the time. It is just how family farms did things. Our pork and beef all came from the farm as well.

Even our noodles were homemade (OK...I still do this) and Grandma cooked with LARD (oh the horror!) rendered from their hogs. There were no "diet" foods, nothing labeled "fat free" or "low fat". And yet they were in better health than the general population these days. Coincidence? I think not. My Aunt and Uncle had bees and we always had good raw honey.

Clean Eating is not new...just new to this day and age. Convenience foods that we all know and sometimes love, have taken us away from eating clean like our grandparents did.

I am working with an Employee Health and Wellness nurse at work on my weight loss. This week's topic for discussion was Clean Eating. Her interpretation of this is eating food close to it's natural state. This doesn't mean that all packaged foods are not clean. You have to look at the label. If it is as long as your arm and has ingredients that look like they come from a chemistry book, it probably isn't clean. Canned/frozen fruits and veggies are fine as long as the are not in some kind of sauce and don't have preservatives. Try to use more whole grains when choosing breads, cereals, and pastas. When you need to sweeten something try to avoid refined sugars. I use local, raw honey or raw sugar on the rare occasions that I do add sweetener. I make my own salad dressings. While they are not fat-free, they are preservative-free and I can control sodium and sugar content.

One point our nurse did make is that is is difficult to be 100% clean, whatever your interpretation of that term is. She said to strive for 85% clean. I have lost about 45 lbs.

22975671.png

The convenience foods are a comparatively new thing. Some people think that sugar is an absolutely horrible thing (I was reading yesterday about a student who complained when the national sugar assocation came to his school for a presentation). Others state that organic is the way to go.

But what works for one person doesn't work for another. Other things would have to be considered: food allergies, other medical conditions (we have two diabetics in my family), and personal preferences.

BTW, congrats on the 45-pound loss! :D