Clean Eating

Replies

• jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    jasonmh630 wrote: »
    Serah87 wrote: »
    Just curious.....what do you do if you go on vacations and no kitchen available?? How about birthday parties with cake and ice cream are served?? It's all part of life, I eat about 80% healthy foods and 20% of awesome foods like chocolate, ice cream, cookies, etc. :smiley:

It's simple… you don't eat it.

The point is you don't have to cut these things completely out and it will have zero negative impact on overall health and weight loss. Unless it's a trigger food or you have a medical condition, there's no reason for someone to completely cut out anything that they enjoy.

It may not have any benefits/negative impact for you one way or another but for some it does. I agree that you shouldn't cut out foods that you enjoy just because but I don't see anything wrong with trying to eat fresher, less packaged foods. Not here to debate the definition of "clean eating" but the general concept is not bad if one does their research and does it from a nutritional stand point and not a fad stand point. It's about making choices that fit your personal goals. Everyone has different goals and preferences.

The only way it has a negative impact is if you have a medical disposition to the effects of certain foods/ingredients. Which is exactly what I said. There wouldn't be negative side effects if there wasn't some sort of medical condition to cause them (due to the ingestion of certain items).

No one is saying that eating more whole foods (or "clean") is a bad thing... But the implied impression that people should cut out prepackaged (processed) food (or "unclean") is the point I was trying to tackle. When in reality, EVERYTHING we consume is processed to a certain degree.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2014
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    astrose00 wrote: »
    OP, I sent you a friend request. Please add me. I eat this way 100% of the time and love it. Real food tastes and makes you feel great! I haven't eaten out once in 8 weeks since I started this lifestyle. It's clearning my mind and showing me that I don't need to eat the kind of food that leads me to overeat or binge. Some people can have hot dogs, candy, cake, etc, and control themselves and not overeat. They stay under their calorie goals. Good for them. That doesn't work for all of us. For me, I feel like clean eating is a way for me to enjoy food, take control of my eating habits and find something else in life to enjoy. I have tons of hobbies I shelved because I gained weight. I want to get back to those things.

I don't take the original post that literally. The point is to eat food in as close to its natural state as possible. For example, Old fashioned or steel cut oats vs. quick oats or artificially flavored oatmeal. You can check my diary for some of the food I eat (when you accept my request; it's not public). If I were to have a hamburger, I would grind my own beef or turkey so I know what's in it.

Good luck and shake off the negativity and ridicule. It's not worth it.

why are steel cut oats superior to instant oats?

Depending on your preferences/macro needs, Steel Cut Oats tend to be more nutrient dense.

Steel cut oats usually have more fiber and protein which may help you feel full longer.

Instant oats have added sugar and salt. That's fine if it fits your macros but using steel cut is an easy way to cut back on salt and sugar.

so it is a preference and has no bearing on health or weight loss, as to which one, one eats...
    Wouldn't "more nutrient dense" possibly relate to health?

But as I pointed out with reference to specific products, it's not necessarily true. Instant doesn't mean "more salt and sugar" and some brands of instant have more protein and fiber than some brands of steel cut regular. And even between the best one I've found and my instant the difference is pretty slight.

I like the regular better and certainly don't think there's anything wrong with preferring it (I do, after all), but the idea that instant is inherently bad (unclean, even) and to be eliminated seems more superstition than anything else.

Anyway, it's all processed.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    edited November 2014
    Just curious.....what do you do if you go on vacations and no kitchen available?? How about birthday parties with cake and ice cream are served?? It's all part of life, I eat about 80% healthy foods and 20% of awesome foods like chocolate, ice cream, cookies, etc. :smiley:

The point is you don't have to cut these things completely out and it will have zero negative impact on overall health and weight loss. Unless it's a trigger food or you have a medical condition, there's no reason for someone to completely cut out anything that they enjoy.

I know what the point is but it doesn't apply to me because 1) I have Crohn's disease that impacts my food choices tremendously (I could choose to ignore it but I prefer to be at home instead of the hospital), 2) I have insulin resistance which also impacts my food choices, 3) I have postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome which gets worse when I eat certain foods, and 4) I have food allergies.

Unless you have medical conditions which require some sort of food restriction, you shouldn't cut foods out completely but some people WANT to and everyone just needs to be respectful of that.

I totally agree with that. I don't really have an opinion on someone's choice to eliminate these things. What I have an issue with is people eliminating things for the sake of doing it, because someone else told them that particular item is "bad for you".

ETA: Cutting out foods that causes your medical conditions to flare up is completely acceptable. I don't think anyone is trying to argue with that. You have to do what you have to do to keep those conditions at bay. :)

• Share where you are and where you want to be and what your initial plan is to get started and you will find plenty of people to help you on the way.

I believe this is what I was trying to do. Seek out people who were attempting the same type of program. Somehow this conversation turned into an ugly monster with deragatory terms and not so humorous photos at my expense.

This talk can take on whatever life form it wants but I am not a punching bag or an expert in all things fitness. I am one person trying to make a difference in my own life and my own eating habits.

Never again will I post a discussion board encourage anyone else to do the same.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Share where you are and where you want to be and what your initial plan is to get started and you will find plenty of people to help you on the way.

I believe this is what I was trying to do. Seek out people who were attempting the same type of program. Somehow this conversation turned into an ugly monster with deragatory terms and not so humorous photos at my expense.

This talk can take on whatever life form it wants but I am not a punching bag or an expert in all things fitness. I am one person trying to make a difference in my own life and my own eating habits.

Never again will I post a discussion board encourage anyone else to do the same.

Humor is relative. Quit internetting so seriously.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    edited November 2014

I totally agree with that. I don't really have an opinion on someone's choice to eliminate these things. What I have an issue with is people eliminating things for the sake of doing it, because someone else told them that particular item is "bad for you".

This. Very much this. There are plenty of foods that I don't eat as a matter of preference. McDonald's, for instance, tastes like a giant vat of old grease to me. Even their salads are wilted and sad. I have no issue with anyone disregarding any food for matters of taste.

But depriving yourself of something you actually like because you've bought into some bro-science is also sad, and if I can say anything to make someone think twice about living a life of deprivation for no good reason, then I will.

If you don't like sweets, I have no argument. If you dislike rice or potatoes or bread, great, don't eat them. But if you love dessert, and you think the only way you can lose weight and be happy is to cut out desserts and be unhappy, then your ignorance is harming your quality of life, and I want to fix that for you.

• mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member

It may not have any benefits/negative impact for you one way or another but for some it does. I agree that you shouldn't cut out foods that you enjoy just because but I don't see anything wrong with trying to eat fresher, less packaged foods. Not here to debate the definition of "clean eating" but the general concept is not bad if one does their research and does it from a nutritional stand point and not a fad stand point. It's about making choices that fit your personal goals. Everyone has different goals and preferences.

The only way it has a negative impact is if you have a medical disposition to the effects of certain foods/ingredients. Which is exactly what I said. There wouldn't be negative side effects if there wasn't some sort of medical condition to cause them (due to the ingestion of certain items).

No one is saying that eating more whole foods (or "clean") is a bad thing... But the implied impression that people should cut out prepackaged (processed) food (or "unclean") is the point I was trying to tackle. When in reality, EVERYTHING we consume is processed to a certain degree.

I understand your point. Everything is processed to a point but I think most definitions are referring to pre-packaged foods like chips, tv dinners, etc. I think that some people (not saying you specifically) tend to think that there is only one right way to do things (such as only "eat clean" or "eat all foods and only watch your calories") and health and weight loss are not so black and white. A person can feel better or worse from eating some foods or eating a certain way without having a medical condition (or at least not an obvious one). For example 50% vs 40% carbs may affect a person differently or eating more fresh fruits and vegetables instead of fast food may fuel a body better. I have seen a few threads on here where people attack or try to tear apart the idea of clean eating. Some people are taking the definition too literally. Food is fuel for the body and fueling your body with higher quality ingredients often produces better results but that doesn't mean you can't be fit and healthy eating McDonalds or Hamburger Helper but many people do better when they reduce or eliminate those types of foods.

I personally don't eliminate foods just for the sake of eliminating. I eat out sometimes, I eat junk food sometimes, and I eat pre-packaged foods but I believe that for me personally eating most of my food cooked at home and using as many fresh ingredients as possible is a better way to care for my body.

• mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    astrose00 wrote: »
    OP, I sent you a friend request. Please add me. I eat this way 100% of the time and love it. Real food tastes and makes you feel great! I haven't eaten out once in 8 weeks since I started this lifestyle. It's clearning my mind and showing me that I don't need to eat the kind of food that leads me to overeat or binge. Some people can have hot dogs, candy, cake, etc, and control themselves and not overeat. They stay under their calorie goals. Good for them. That doesn't work for all of us. For me, I feel like clean eating is a way for me to enjoy food, take control of my eating habits and find something else in life to enjoy. I have tons of hobbies I shelved because I gained weight. I want to get back to those things.

I don't take the original post that literally. The point is to eat food in as close to its natural state as possible. For example, Old fashioned or steel cut oats vs. quick oats or artificially flavored oatmeal. You can check my diary for some of the food I eat (when you accept my request; it's not public). If I were to have a hamburger, I would grind my own beef or turkey so I know what's in it.

Good luck and shake off the negativity and ridicule. It's not worth it.

why are steel cut oats superior to instant oats?

Depending on your preferences/macro needs, Steel Cut Oats tend to be more nutrient dense.

Steel cut oats usually have more fiber and protein which may help you feel full longer.

Instant oats have added sugar and salt. That's fine if it fits your macros but using steel cut is an easy way to cut back on salt and sugar.

so it is a preference and has no bearing on health or weight loss, as to which one, one eats...
    Wouldn't "more nutrient dense" possibly relate to health?

But as I pointed out with reference to specific products, it's not necessarily true. Instant doesn't mean "more salt and sugar" and some brands of instant have more protein and fiber than some brands of steel cut regular. And even between the best one I've found and my instant the difference is pretty slight.

I like the regular better and certainly don't think there's anything wrong with preferring it (I do, after all), but the idea that instant is inherently bad (unclean, even) and to be eliminated seems more superstition than anything else.

Anyway, it's all processed.

This is a good response and a good way to explain why clean eating needs to be done with research and not just following "rules" arbitrarily. I wish every rebuttal to clean eating was explained in the way you did it.

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Share where you are and where you want to be and what your initial plan is to get started and you will find plenty of people to help you on the way.

Are this sensitive in real life?

I mean this with kindness - no one here is attacking you. They are just discussing clean eating. A diet. That's all it is.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member

No sense of humor have you? No one here is coming at you in any way.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    edited November 2014
    edit: dbl post with a self-quote. yikes
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    edited November 2014
    this thread is an "ugly monster"?

tumblr_inline_n96n7wrXz81rm0jz1.gif

no one has even come at you (bro).

you mentioned you were diving into an 8-week clean eating thing, and people weighed in on what they thought. a discussion of sorts. in

i believe there were even some questions that were asked (um...by me) that have yet to be answered. you are taking all of this FAR too personally.
  • jessupbrady
    jessupbrady Posts: 508 Member
    I believe this is what I was trying to do. Somehow this conversation turned into an ugly monster with deragatory terms and not so humorous photos at my expense.

The key being that it is a discussion board and folks here are discussing the topic. But, you don't seem to be discussing it back. My point was - how can you ask folks to help you if you won't allow a discussion about the diet you brought up?
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    If you don't like sweets, I have no argument. If you dislike rice or potatoes or bread, great, don't eat them. But if you love dessert, and you think the only way you can lose weight and be happy is to cut out desserts and be unhappy, then your ignorance is harming your quality of life, and I want to fix that for you.

Ah, I love this! People are always getting so butthurt on threads like this and whining about how everyone is supposed to be supportive of whatever plan they've concocted. What gets overlooked is that many times, people are trying to be helpful. It just comes from a different point of view.

• Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    No.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    To the OP. Please don't get upset. People are not disparaging how you are eating because the majority of people on MFP eat the same way most of the time. What raises the hackles of many on MFP is the fact that you used a trendy buzzword that means nothing. Going forward, you can save yourself a lot of grief just by eliminating the term "clean eating" from your vocabulary and just say that you are avoiding convenience foods, eating as many whole foods as possible and trying to stay away from added sugar (which is my interpretation of how you described your current eating).
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member

I have yet to see anyone making any comment towards you personally. What people are doing is questioning the rationale of your diet.

I was one such person, as I pointed out the contradiction that it says I can't eat a burger, but I can have lean meat and brown bread, which is essentially what happens when I make a burger. I'm not following why a lean ground beef patty and a whole grain roll next to one another on a plate is clean, but put the patty on the roll and chaos ensues. I'm hoping you can see the point that I, and others, have tried to make about this plan that you going to follow and how some of the rules make no logical sense nor have any bearing on health or weight loss.

And for record, I'm not doing a clean eating challenge, but I had grilled chicken and steamed broccoli for lunch, and I just ate an apple. Breakfast was whole grain (brown) toast with butter from grassed cows and scrambled eggs/egg whites with some cheese. I can assure you that my critique of the plan has nothing to do with the type of food you're choosing to eat.
  • My choice is to eat healthier to eat smarter and to not add sugar into my diet.
    Again, I state "my choice."

I choose to not eat food that comes out of a box

I choose to eat whole foods

I choose to not add or eat foods with sugar.

I ate real oatmeal today

I will eat chick pea salad with kale

I will eat chicken breast and veggies for dinner

I will drink my water.

I choose not to eat breads. Not only because I do not want to but because it bothers my stomachs.

I do eat meat but not meat out of a box, protein in which I bake myself.

I guess my error was to use the words "clean eating" and to use a photo from google. I was trying to find a starting ground for myself. A goal setting initiative for myself.

I am trying and attempting to eat healthier. I don't want to eat "convenience" foods but rather to meal plan and prep my weeks foods. I want to succeed.

I never meant to start a war or a debate.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    My choice is to eat healthier to eat smarter and to not add sugar into my diet.
    Again, I state "my choice."

I choose to not eat food that comes out of a box

I choose to eat whole foods

I choose to not add or eat foods with sugar.

I ate real oatmeal today

I will eat chick pea salad with kale

I will eat chicken breast and veggies for dinner

I will drink my water.

I choose not to eat breads. Not only because I do not want to but because it bothers my stomachs.

I do eat meat but not meat out of a box, protein in which I bake myself.

I guess my error was to use the words "clean eating" and to use a photo from google. I was trying to find a starting ground for myself. A goal setting initiative for myself.

I am trying and attempting to eat healthier. I don't want to eat "convenience" foods but rather to meal plan and prep my weeks foods. I want to succeed.

I never meant to start a war or a debate.

:smile: Good for you (I mean this geniunely) for wanting to eat healthier... That really is everyone's goal...

Just for future reference, "clean eating" and things of this nature tends to bring the snark... it really isn't personal... You just do you OP... :smile: