Clean Eating

Replies

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Serah87 wrote: »
    Just curious.....what do you do if you go on vacations and no kitchen available?? How about birthday parties with cake and ice cream are served?? It's all part of life, I eat about 80% healthy foods and 20% of awesome foods like chocolate, ice cream, cookies, etc. :smiley:

I do not eat out. I am married to a chef and eat out maybe three times a year. We ways eat at home or woth friends / family.

I got into late night munchies, baking and quick lunches which is part of the reason I ended up here. Chocolate is not my downfall, but other snacks are.

It's ok to say no to cake & ice cream. And I have no problems doing so.
    PRMinx wrote: »
    I new to MFP. I was not aware of the controversial nature of this post.

I am just starting out. I joined last week.

Today I wish I never did.

There's really no need to be taking this so personally. No one is telling you what to eat. No one is judging you, they are commenting on a diet plan.

I have read some very judgemental posts today and they were very hurtful.

Which posts attacked you personally?
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Just curious.....what do you do if you go on vacations and no kitchen available?? How about birthday parties with cake and ice cream are served?? It's all part of life, I eat about 80% healthy foods and 20% of awesome foods like chocolate, ice cream, cookies, etc. :smiley:

I do not eat out. I am married to a chef and eat out maybe three times a year. We ways eat at home or woth friends / family.

I got into late night munchies, baking and quick lunches which is part of the reason I ended up here. Chocolate is not my downfall, but other snacks are.

There's really no need to be taking this so personally. No one is telling you what to eat. No one is judging you, they are commenting on a diet plan.

How are comments on a way of eating hurtful to you?? The comments on on the diet not you. No one has made any comments hurtful against you just an idea you posted.

Instead of getting upset, maybe sit back and look over everything said and think about it rationally and move forward from there.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    OP - first, take a step back and take a deep breath before getting too upset. Since you are new here you probably didn't realize what a controversial, and somewhat redundant, topic you posted. Search the forums for "clean eating" and see how many threads pop up, skim them if you have a few hours or days, and then you will understand why people jumped in here so quickly.

I do have to say that while I don't agree at all that "clean eating" is necessary - I thought the meme at the top of the post was better than most "I'm going to eat clean starting today, who's with me" intros because at least you did have some points you were going to try to follow. Now many will tell you that those things aren't necessary, and that just because something comes from a box doesn't make it evil. That doesn't mean that those people are ONLY eating donuts or McDonalds, just that you don't have to completely cut out food groups and never eat things like donuts and McDonalds again.

People also are sensitive to any plans that are only for a limited period of time. Most of the successful people on here have made small changes which they can sustain forever - a new lifestyle if you will, rather than engaging in short term fixes, things to "jumpstart" your weight loss, cleanses, etc.

Anyway, I hope you won't give up completely on MFP - it is a great tool and there are lots of great, helpful people on here - even the ones who you may think are mean based on their reaction to your initial post...
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    RoseyDgirl wrote: »
    I would totally be into doing this, My one problem food will be greek yogurt. I just bought a whole bunch of them to get me through the week ...

otherwise, my fridge is full of clean foods - picked up a whole bunch of broccoli crowns (99Cents a lb) - and a head of cauliflower, and some acorn squash, and a butternut squash ... and, I have some lamb meat, and pork tenderloin, and some grassfed beef ... and a whole bunch of different cheeses. Wegman's has the best cheese department ever... :)

I MISS WEGMANS SO MUCH!

Okay I feel better now.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member

Just because you read them as hurtful, doesn't mean they were typed to be hurtful.

You need to read everything posted in forums in a monotone voice with no emotion what-so-ever.

• DiabolicalColossus
    DiabolicalColossus Posts: 219 Member
    OP, stop giving your power away on the internet to people who are asking you questions and disagreeing with you.

No one called your character into question.

But people generally don't care about how "it's ok to say no to cake & ice cream".

If that works for you, great.

You come off as preachy, smug and superior.

That probably isn't your intent.

You should also realize that "eating clean" is extremely cost prohibitive for some people.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member

It's simple… you don't eat it.

So you're planning on never having a piece of cake or ice cream again... that would be a very sad existence, I'll go back to being fat thanks

I'm allergic, so correct.

Sad existence? No. That would be the people who can't wrap their heads around the fact that there are people who choose not to eat cake and ice cream and McDonald's and are perfectly fine doing so.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member

So you're planning on never having a piece of cake or ice cream again... that would be a very sad existence, I'll go back to being fat thanks

Sad existence? No. That would be the people who can't wrap their heads around the fact that there are people who choose not to eat cake and ice cream and McDonald's and are perfectly fine doing so.

I have lots of food allergies, I work around them. I can care less if people choose for themselves never to eat it again, but stating that all or nothing attitude especially to someone just starting out is wrong. Because most people are not perfectly fine with giving up things they enjoy forever
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    astrose00 wrote: »
    I haven't eaten out once in 8 weeks since I started this lifestyle.

First, if that works for you, great. I would not choose a lifestyle (that's what we are supposed to call it, right) that required me to never go out to eat, as my social life involves eating out reasonably frequently, and I enjoy it. But that's me and you are you, so it's not criticism. There are plenty of things I don't do that others enjoy.

What I do find puzzling, though, is why eating out must be inherently "unclean" (and ugh, that term). There are lots of restaurants where you can be confident that they use high quality ingredients and cook the food much like we would at home (well, okay, often with more butter). Sometimes this means using techniques or ingredients that are more challenging for me (ethnic places) and sometimes it just means that they have more skill and are doing preparations that are more complicated and time consuming or intricate than what I'd bother with at home (fine dining or even sometimes your really good local comfort food oriented places). As I mentioned above, many times they are quite focused on local ingredients to a level that seems rare with the "clean eating brigade" here, and I certainly expect their meat and veggies to be sourced more carefully than what one typically gets at the supermarket.

And still other restaurants are more run of the mill, but still have good quality ingredients and just provide convenience or atmosphere.

My question, after all that, is why this is "unclean," and why not eating out is something that people should strive for as an ideal, as you seem to suggest in your post.

I haven't eaten out because I'm trying to log my calories accurately and stay at or under goal. I don't have a food scale with me when I go out to eat nor can I be sure of how it was prepared. I am not willing, at this point, to play a guessing game. I also don't have anyone beating my door down inviting me out to eat so it's okay. When I am no longer in a deficit, I will have some leeway to eat out but will likely choose a "healthier" fare so as not to delve back into my old habits. I know myself. I have a weakness for candy and that is the reason I gained so much weight. I probably will choose to stay away from candy long term because it's my achilles heel. I've yo-yo'd in the past because I return to old habits. It's really easy to overeat candy. Or to use up maintenance calories with candy. If I have the choice, I would rather eat fruits, veggies and other lower calorie, filling, satisfying foods than to go down the slippery slope. I am also looking to achieve a certain look (lean and muscular) and my controlled meals are tailored to my work out. I define clean eating as lean protein, complex carbs, fruits, veggies, fiber, healthy fats. I like way I feel when I eat those things. It works for me.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member

I have lots of food allergies, I work around them. I can care less if people choose for themselves never to eat it again, but stating that all or nothing attitude especially to someone just starting out is wrong. Because most people are not perfectly fine with giving up things they enjoy forever

I don't follow an "all or nothing" diet therefore, I do not have that attitude- thank you very much :) I was simply replying to a question someone asked.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    OP, stop giving your power away on the internet to people who are asking you questions and disagreeing with you.

But people generally don't care about how "it's ok to say no to cake & ice cream".

You should also realize that "eating clean" is extremely cost prohibitive for some people.

not to mention the fact that it is totally unnecessary for weight loss..
  • astrose00
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    OP, I sent you a friend request. Please add me. I eat this way 100% of the time and love it. Real food tastes and makes you feel great! I haven't eaten out once in 8 weeks since I started this lifestyle. It's clearning my mind and showing me that I don't need to eat the kind of food that leads me to overeat or binge. Some people can have hot dogs, candy, cake, etc, and control themselves and not overeat. They stay under their calorie goals. Good for them. That doesn't work for all of us. For me, I feel like clean eating is a way for me to enjoy food, take control of my eating habits and find something else in life to enjoy. I have tons of hobbies I shelved because I gained weight. I want to get back to those things.

I don't take the original post that literally. The point is to eat food in as close to its natural state as possible. For example, Old fashioned or steel cut oats vs. quick oats or artificially flavored oatmeal. You can check my diary for some of the food I eat (when you accept my request; it's not public). If I were to have a hamburger, I would grind my own beef or turkey so I know what's in it.

Good luck and shake off the negativity and ridicule. It's not worth it.

why are steel cut oats superior to instant oats?

Not superior. I try to eat foods that require slower digestion. I know that some people will eat faster digesting carbs for their particular diet / workout combination. I have read many articles / books over the years that recommend steel cut or old fashioned over the instant variety. I also think instant sometimes has added sugar and I like to control how much sugar I eat.
  • CJsf1t
    CJsf1t Posts: 414 Member

Don't be discouraged by one thread_! First go through all the sticky posts. If you are interested in something particular just do a forum search. Most likely there is already a thread about it.
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    OP, I sent you a friend request. Please add me. I eat this way 100% of the time and love it. Real food tastes and makes you feel great! I haven't eaten out once in 8 weeks since I started this lifestyle. It's clearning my mind and showing me that I don't need to eat the kind of food that leads me to overeat or binge. Some people can have hot dogs, candy, cake, etc, and control themselves and not overeat. They stay under their calorie goals. Good for them. That doesn't work for all of us. For me, I feel like clean eating is a way for me to enjoy food, take control of my eating habits and find something else in life to enjoy. I have tons of hobbies I shelved because I gained weight. I want to get back to those things.

I don't take the original post that literally. The point is to eat food in as close to its natural state as possible. For example, Old fashioned or steel cut oats vs. quick oats or artificially flavored oatmeal. You can check my diary for some of the food I eat (when you accept my request; it's not public). If I were to have a hamburger, I would grind my own beef or turkey so I know what's in it.

Depending on your preferences/macro needs, Steel Cut Oats tend to be more nutrient dense.

Steel cut oats usually have more fiber and protein which may help you feel full longer.

Instant oats have added sugar and salt. That's fine if it fits your macros but using steel cut is an easy way to cut back on salt and sugar.

• DiabolicalColossus
    DiabolicalColossus Posts: 219 Member
    There's plenty of instant oatmeal without sugar.

I know this because I buy it for Mr. Colossus, who is diabetic.

Most people I know who prefer steel cut like it because they say the texture is more to their liking.

I can't discern a huge difference, but that's probably because I ingest filth all the time.

::shrug::
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member

not to mention the fact that it is totally unnecessary for weight loss..

or overall health.

• jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member

The point is you don't have to cut these things completely out and it will have zero negative impact on overall health and weight loss. Unless it's a trigger food or you have a medical condition, there's no reason for someone to completely cut out anything that they enjoy.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I haven't eaten out because I'm trying to log my calories accurately and stay at or under goal.

Yeah, that makes sense. That is the most annoying thing about it, although for me I had to figure out how to do it and still control calories well enough to lose (which I have) and eventually maintain. I was more puzzled about how it fit into the "clean" topic.
    I probably will choose to stay away from candy long term because it's my achilles heel.

So like a trigger food thing. I am lucky enough not to like candy much, and obviously restaurants don't generally serve them to my knowledge (and of course one is not required to get dessert at a restaurant at all). My foods I struggle with are different, although I get having more trouble with self control around certain items (and at certain times).
    If I have the choice, I would rather eat fruits, veggies and other lower calorie, filling, satisfying foods than to go down the slippery slope.

Sure, although this doesn't address the restaurant question, you know. My view is that it's best to mostly eat these things (plus protein), but that that is by no means precluded by also including some other foods. It's about balance and, of course, your own ability to control yourself.
    I define clean eating as lean protein, complex carbs, fruits, veggies, fiber, healthy fats. I like way I feel when I eat those things. It works for me.

I like the way I feel when I eat what I eat (and probably eat that way most of the time, even sometimes at restaurants or when buying foods, as there's no inherent conflict, which is why I asked in the first place).

I'll also note that your definition here does not seem focused on processing at all (butter perhaps is an "unhealthy" fat, who knows, but it's no more processed than olive oil, fattier cuts of meat are no more and often less processed, and lean cuts may or may not be unprocessed). It seems focused on calories. Which is great, but it's again why I wonder about people feeling compelled to use "clean" as if it had some agreed upon meaning.
  • astrose00
    There's plenty of instant oatmeal without sugar.

I know this because I buy it for Mr. Colossus, who is diabetic.

Most people I know who prefer steel cut like it because they say the texture is more to their liking.

I can't discern a huge difference, but that's probably because I ingest filth all the time.

::shrug::

I actually prefer the taste / texture as well. I think instant is mushy. I did say that some of instant has sugar. I am sure there are some kinds that don't.
  • astrose00

Depending on your preferences/macro needs, Steel Cut Oats tend to be more nutrient dense.

Steel cut oats usually have more fiber and protein which may help you feel full longer.

Instant oats have added sugar and salt. That's fine if it fits your macros but using steel cut is an easy way to cut back on salt and sugar.

^^^ This. You said it so much more eloquently than I did!!!